Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fits

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by raebhoop, Aug 9, 2009.

1. raebhoop

raebhoop PetForums Member

Three nights back my little Border Collie 8 years old had a vicious fit at just gone midnight.Back arched and spinning wildly on the floor.I held him for nearly five minutes until it subsided.
    It was his first and it has not recurred...The vet checked him out...heart,lungs,bowel etc (All ok)and took blood samples which will hopefully return tomorrow from the lab.
    24 hours later I took him to another vet who checked him again and gave a pain killer injection in case he had sprained something in the fit.

The second vet and this post is because of his behaviour since.I can understand him being in shock and unsteady for a while but the little lad has completely changed.From a normal boisterous dog like his brother into a nervous wreck.
    He stays in his bed all day...when I call his name I get a little flick of his tail,but he stays in his bed.
    If I call him to me he sometimes won't move...and if he does come he approaches me as If I was going to give him a beating head inches off the floor and tail between his legs.I lift his head and make a fuss but as soon as I let him go he goes straight back to bed.
    In the mornings he shows more interest and trots to the gate for the regular morning run in the woods with his brother.I was pleased this morning when he picked a stick up and showed a little more interest in wanting to play.But the bounce just wasn't there.After the run we returned home and he went straight to his bed and stayed there most of the day.
    He's eating fine,all in one go as usual.

But he's just not the playful little dog I had three days ago...hopefully the blood test might explain something tomorrow and the fit might be a one off (I hope)...but what I want to know is has anyone else had a dog who's personality has completely changed after a fit...and if it has have they eventually returned to normal...he's such a sad little dog...but with a good appetite.

[​IMG]

2. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Bless. So sorry he's had a fit and my guess is he may have been scared by what happened. He won't know what caused it and may associate where ever he was with pain and discomfort.

When Chance had her broken leg she fell in her bed and yelped and howled in agony. She then refused to go into her bed for about 3 weeks. Eventually she built her trust again and now sleeps in her bed again.

Fingers crossed you'll get some answers with the blood results.

3. raebhoop

Thanks Chance...live alone here...just trying to find someone to talk to who has experience of this...I've had dogs for many years but this is the first fit I've come across.

4. clueless

clueless Banned

Hi Raebhoop imo there is nothing worse than watching your beloved dog having a seizure. I had a Lhasa Apso quite a few years ago now who suffered 2 very severe seizures.
    My vet would not treat until she had 3 in total. Between the first and second she had umpteen tests as in bloods and mri etc... There is not a tset for Epilepsy so its a case of trying to eliminate anything else first then epilepsy is diagnosed.
    After my girls first seizure she became really aggressive Now I am talking about from Mother Theresa nature to Jack the Ripper. This usually lasted for approx 9 days.
    The only hope I can post for you if she is diagnosed with Epilesy is-- my little girl was on Phenobarbitone until she died aged 15years and only suffered 4 seizures since diagnoses. Please keep us updated
    ps A one of fit can occur due to Upset Tummy or high Temp

5. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

My deerhound had fits for the last 5 years of his life. They started when he was 5. Sometimes he would haved a few in one day and then not have another for a few months. Other times he would perhaps have one a day for a few days, There was no pattern. The vet did say because he was a big dog each one could put a strain on his heart but he carried on to live to 10.5 years.
    He was put on medication but was taken off it because it didn't seem to make any difference. They couldn't determine why he got them but thought it could be something to do with him being very small when he was born.

It did take him a day or so to get back to his normal happy and daft self. He just used to seem tired and quiet. Maybe your collie is feeling this way. At least you have your vet investigating. Good luck and hopefully he'll be back to his normal self soon.

6. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your dog having a fit, I have had two dogs that have had fits, one had regular small fits with no side effects after but the other only ever had two in his life(grand mall) and like your dog he was very scared and subdued for days afterwards, your dog is probably still scared of the feelings he had, hopefully he will be back to normal in a couple of days.

7. raebhoop

Thanks for your prompt replies folks...I'll let you know how I get on...thanks for your interest.

Paul.

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hi there, my 11 year old collie cross cav king charles cross have fits aswell, he only have them now and again, perhaps 3 times a year. Have had tests done years ago and nothing come up. so we dont know why he have them. It may be the age of the dog I dont know, But when Benji have them he starts off staring into space and then starts to move like in slow motion and straight after he goes into his fit, he feels like he weighs the same as a giant breed dog when I hold him, he feels so heavy and sooooo strong in a fit aswell, I sit on the floor and hold him up and he never lays down, his legs go from under him but he does a Bambi on Ice position and shakes like made and convulses hard. It is horrible to see and witness, but there is nothing else I can do for him other that hold him so he dont throw himself around and get hurt, and talking to him ALL THE TIME, when it is all over with i put him outside for a cool off and a pee etc. he comes back in as if nothing have happened, but he is very quiet then for a couple of days, I think it take it out of them as it is very strenuous on thier bodies. They are not aware of anything when they go into a fit, so dont worry they are not in any pain. Just hold him and keep talking to him to reassure him. And yes Benji do hang his head down aswell because he knows something have happened but dont know what - so he thinks he have done something wrong. Get the vet to do their tests so they can tell you if they know why your dog is having them, they may put your dog on tablets, Benji didnt have any long term medication as he was only ever having 2 - 3 a year, some years he dont get one.
    If you try to relax when he is having a fit and reassure him in one, and then make a fuss over him when he is out of it, he wont pick up your nervousness and panick himself ok. It is very hard to keep calm I know, but you have to try for the dog. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted out soon.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

This is a pic of Benji with my chihuahua on his back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice