Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fishless cycle with fish food help

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by Franki_lou85, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Franki_lou85

Franki_lou85 PetForums Newbie

Hi I am currently cycling a tank with fish food, been about 5 days now and ammonia levels starting to increase, just wondering when to take out the old food please? Complete novice
    Many thanks

Magic Waves likes this.
  2. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Member

Hello @Franki_lou85 welcome to PF nice to have you with us :)

What size is your tank and filtering system and i always buy API fresh water master test kit, test strips aren't 100% accurate,

What's your level of ammonia now at the moment because the waste from the food needs to build up into good bacteria to kick the nitrite off, which then starts the nitrate.

I've got a tank cycling at the moment but i always do it with fish but with plenty of oxygen and regular water changes.

3. Franki_lou85

Hi it's a 64l with fluval u2 filter, we too are using api liquid testing kit as were told were more accurate its currently reading 0.5 ammonia so a way to go yet

Magic Waves likes this.
  4. Magic Waves

The fluval are good i've got a U4 in my 200 litre and good of you to be using the api, if your on amazon the sale is £17 on those ;)

Don't get any food waste out as your ammonia needs to rise slightly more, keep checking for nitrite.

5. Magic Waves

@Franki_lou85 i'm cycling a 20 litre at the moment for another betta mines been going for 5 days today ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0.25 and nitrate 3ppm

6. Franki_lou85

Thank you will leave it in, were cycling ours for our betta to move in to currently have a fish in cycle on the other tank as mis advised

Magic Waves likes this.
  7. Magic Waves

Fish are fine to cycle with and i use guppies as they're quite hardy and bottom feeders but as soon as levels start rising you need as much oxygen going in to your tank as possible plus it's every day change of water if nitrite levels get to high but your tank cycles quicker because of the urine and waste.

Once my small one is cycled (above) it will be thoroughly vacuumed, glass all clean and top filtration soaked in the tank water, i did all this with my hexagon.

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

This is outdated advice. There are better ways to cycle a tank than to put the health of fish at risk. Plus, it's not quicker because you have to keep the toxins down for the sake of the fish, so it takes longer.

@Franki_lou85 :. To cycle with fish food, you'll need to put a fistful of food into the foot of a pair of rights or a stocking. Tie a knot in it and dangle it in the water until ammonia reads 2ppm. Then throw it out, let ammonia fall to 0.5ppm, check nitrite, and make up a fresh ammonia ball.

Rinse and repeat until you don't get any readings for ammonia or nitrite despite the presence of an ammonia ball.

Hiking the temp up to 30°C will also speed up the cycle. :)

kittih likes this.
  9. Franki_lou85

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice