Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fishes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

we caughtt 72 tiny fish :D

yesterday

23 left

they die really fast

their in water but dont last long :(

we got some catfish looking ones (not catfish but looked like)

we got 7 tiny crayfish

and loads of other tiny fish

but yes, thought id share that with ya :D

2. animallover111

Have you been fishing......;) :D

3. Grinningcat

Grinningcat PetForums Junior

They could be dying for a couple reasons.

Are you keeping them in a bucket/tank? In nature, plants and the motion of a stream aerate the water. In a home aquarium, it's good to have a filter or airstone in with the fish. Without one, they could be using up the oxygen in the water and dying of suffocation.

How big is the container they're in? If you have a ton of fish in a very small space, that's not good. Fish create waste, and this causes an ammonia (a chemical) spike in the water. Lots of fish = more poo, more ammonia. They could be essentially poisoning themselves.

Do you have them in tap water? Tap water is fine to use IF you use special water conditioner to neutralize any chlorine or other chemicals that could harm fish.

Wrong temperature, food and shock from environment change can also kill fish.

It's really cool that you caught them! But I suggest you take pictures, and let them go again. Wild creatures are meant to be in the wild. And they'll probably all die if you keep 'em. That's no fun. =/

4. Cassies-mum

me and my friends caught them

we plan to take them to lotties pond, has no fish ;)

5. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Sorry if this is a rhetorical question but where abouts did you catch them?

Also could you post some piccies of the crayfish? The reason I ask this is because a known invasive species of crayfish, the American signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus) has become very widespread in out natural waterways. It is classed as a pest by Defra and the EA as it competes directly with our native White-clawed crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes) which has suffered 95% losses in the past few years. If you do have American signal crayfish (which is quite likely) then they are illegal to keep in the UK and must be destroyed.

Sorry to sound like a soggy-sport however I'm just trying to be sure. :D

#5 Chillinator, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  6. Cassies-mum

the crayfish sort of died :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice