Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fish4dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eroswoof, May 5, 2011.

1. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I'm just wondering what people think to this food? He does love fish so hopefully he'd take to it.

I've not long put him on a new food that he loves and it's encouraged him to eat more. I really struggle to keep weight on him so it's brilliant when he actually wants to eat.

Was there a sticky about it somewhere or am I thinking of the cat one?

Mckenzie - did Kenzie get that salmon mousse?

Em
    xx

2. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I used to give Jet fish4dogs and he loved it. At the moment I'm giving him sardines once a week instead. But I'll be getting more from f4d once this little stock is used up.(well they were on offer). I found their delivery service really good too.

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Ahh aye did you? What flavour did he have? See I'm happier with him eating dry because poms tend to have bad teeth

xxxx

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Fish4Dogs is good. I havent used it but it certainly gets a lot of good feedback.

But, if you've only just found a food he loves and it's encouraged him to eat more I dont think I would rock the boat with another change.

Have you thought about a supplement?? I rate Bionic Biotics from Pooch and Mutt v highly. I used to feed my horse a supplement based on the same principles with excellent results. Pooch and Mutt is the dog version. It provides them with a broad spectrum of vits and mins inc pre and pro biotics specifically for dogs which encourages their tum to make the best possible use of their food (whatever it may be).

It helped Heidi thro a very dodgy bout of tum upsets but I had to stop giving it to my horse because he put on too much weight:rolleyes: Could be just what you are looking for:D:D

1 person likes this.
  5. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Mine are all on Fish4dogs and do exceptionally well.

Teds a Pom too and has a wealth of coat and great condition.

And the bonus is: you don't feed too much and have tinsy winsy poos':thumbsup:

6. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

He had sea jerky and the square sea biscuits and something else, but I cant remember what. I just used them for treats, might try the kibble next though as he just loves fish.

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

He takes Vetzyme flexible joint with glucosamine because he does 4 hours of agility a week but I've just googled what you suggested and I'm going to try some, that's brilliant advice, thank you!

Aye it seems a shame to alter his food when I know he enjoys what he's eating now.

I might get him one of the little bags though for training treats and if he's keen on it then I'll see.

Deb - :lol: the joy of small dogs is small poos isn't it :lol:

xxxx

8. As far as dry foods go! It has to be one of the best! and they are a GREAT company to deal with!
    That said ONE of mine is NOT that keen of it - but will eat it if I give him a break inbetween!

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

You are welcome. I'm considering keeping Heidi on a maintenance dose of it permanently. It certainly makes her as bright as a button and the difference is noticeable almost as soon as she starts on it.
    Their customer service is great - if you email them with any questions, they reply quickly and are most helpful. (Moneyback guarantee helps too)

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Thanks lovely :D I've ordered him the finest fish little sample bag, some of the fish swirls and the salmon mousse stuff

EDIT - Mum2heidi, it says one of the bags of it will last him 2 months :lol: so it'd work out really reasonable price wise too
    xxxx

11. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

My Sis uses Fish4dogs at some point with her Flattie, who can be a bit finicky apparently. I'm not sure if he's still having it. From what she said, on food front, it has to be reasonably decent or she'd have avoided it completely.

Our BC loves the fish James Well Beloved, the breeder told us he liked fish flavour best of all, as a puppy, but we couldn't get hold of it. JWB was rejected for the Flattie due to somewhat loose stools. So I got the pup some fish to add, but frankly a little tuna, pilchard or sardine treat in kibble goes down very well for high palatability, stinky is good :)

The last worming pill, was meant to be consumed with cheese, but he de-pilled it, so he ended up having a smoked salmon wrap!!

But I think there's big danger of rod for your own back, if you worry too much about eating. Met a fairly scrawny BC a little younger than mine, who obviously hadn't been out as much, and they'd wound up feeding burgers and liver. Seeing the family, I'd put money, the reason the dog went off it's food, was illicit handouts of junky human food by the kids.

Anyway what breed do you have? I remember your comments in a beagle thread, so I'm curious. I had urge to tell you to dive in and get a dog, as dog kind would be missing out, if you stayed on side lines.

Research only isn't as good as research and practice :)

12. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

I was having trouble with new pup Dolly when I got her....it was causing constipation...... and customer service were ace.

Couldn't of asked for better:001_smile:

13. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I can't vouch for the dogs stuff, but Fish4cats is good! My fluffs love it :D
    So if that's anything to go by then :thumbup:

Now I'll just wander back over the cat section before I get told off :p

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

See how you go but after a month, I dropped Heidi back to 1/2 dose and one pack lasted us ages.
    I think someone said you can buy it at P@H, I've not seen it in ours tho.

15. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: he's a nightmare when it comes to taking pills - I've actually known him pretend to swallow and then spit it out when I'm not looking (okay, maybe it was a fluke but I like to think he did it on purpose :p )

He never has human food as such; very occasionally as a training treat, but I'm a really strict vegetarian and he soon learned that nothing I ate was of any interest to him at all :lol:

He's a pomeranian :)

Em
    xx

16. RobD-BCactive

Pate works best for me, soft to bury pill in, and the liver means it's tasty enough to get wolfed down with mucho lip licking in appreciation and that "Please Sir!! May I have some more?" look :)

Oh fun! All the Poms I've met have been fairly feisty little playful dogs, not quite fitting in with the "indulgent" image.

17. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

They're certainly not lap dogs no :lol: feisty is the word :thumbup: He's just as happy round big dogs as small, I've never known anything phase him really :eek: he panicked once when an ant walked over his nose mind :lol:

That's the trouble I have really, he sleeps at night but otherwise he's perpetual motion and, as I say, he does a lot of agility, he has a highly active life all round actually.

With his old food he refused to eat for four days until I got him onto this new :rolleyes: I kept thinking 'he'll give in, he'll give in' nope :lol:

xx

18. RobD-BCactive

My BC loves JRT's, they get frustrated though trying to chase him, he's just too fast and teases them. Pom's I meet more rarely, one or two were determined to get him to play, but one kind of had that "what have I done look?" once he got the BC just flying around him, and ran to Mum. Then funnily got confused and ran off, when he didn't come back but confused took wrong turn, I actually set off on cycle to catch up. Luckily he turned and passed us again, realising where "Mum" must be, so it all eneded well.

19. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: :lol: they'll play with anyone, he's obsessed with playing chase but he's ninja quick so he keeps up quite well. Watching the BC's at agility the other night was amazing though, they were round in about 2 seconds :lol:

xx

20. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert has been on Fish4Dogs for a year.

They really cocked up a December order I placed but I got two 15kg sacks free out of it ;)

Customer service = amazing. My only issue is in the last six-eight months they have suddenly had a boom and become very popular, when I started Rupert lots of people still hadn't really heard of them. I'm on first name terms with a few after order problems and Rupert's issues :rolleyes::

Really good food though will continue to feed it if I ever need a kibble and I think the labrador will be on it for life.

Don't be fooled re kibble and teeth though, give Plaque Off a whirl or some of the Fish4Dogs fish skin treats they work great and our dogs adore them but not all dogs like crunchy things I guess.

I love them though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice