Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fish

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Dante, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

What's the general consensus to feeding cats fresh fish a few times a week alongside a complete diet?

Are there any types of fish that should be avoided?

Does it have any benefits?

Just after general info really.. Had a search back through posts and couldn't find any threads specifically discussing it.

Sorry if I'm repeating a question :)

2. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I don't myself but I would advise not feeding raw fish to cats and would not feed it more than 2 meals a week as it is not be a complete food.

Although mine do like an occassional prawn or sliver of smoked salmon :D

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Friday is fish day in my household, this applies to the cats as well as the humans. The cats only have fish as a treat. I don't think steamed white fish (what the cats have) has much, if any, nutritional value, so I wouldn't recommend feeding it more than once a week as a treat, or less. My cats only have fish on Fridays so they will leave the humans alone to eat their fish in peace :)

Feeding fresh fish a few times a week could create a fussy cat, plus it would cost you a fortune :eek:

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I wouldnt feed raw fish, but I do white fish 1-2times a week, wouldnt do it anymore than that, they all love it though! :)

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ach, I wouldn't be that worried about feeding raw fish, such as sardines, sprats, trout (heads), salmon etc once in a while (once a week or once every two weeks) as long as you make sure that they are frozen first to kill of any parasites.

Alternatively, tinned oily fish (sardines, makerel) in spring water once a week is a great way to get some omega 3s in your cat's diet.

Like Dougal22, our cats get fish on a Friday. :)

6. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

I often forget to give my cat a bit of fish after deciding initially that I would treat him once a week, but he's so good at leaving my food alone now even when we go to the chippy for a takeaway that it escapes my mind. *guilty*

When I DO remember to give the cat some fish, it's either from the Smilla tuna tin or small portions of raw salmon/mackerel/sardine/prawns dug up from my freezer. Just being on the safe side, I pre-freeze everything raw for at least a week before I feed them to my cat now because I can't remember what you should freeze and what you don't have to. I don't feed whitefish since it doesn't have as much benefit as feeding oily fish, but whitefish is easier to handle since they come conveniently in small portions at the supermarket!

I do think it's a nice treat for the cats to have if they like fish. :)

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Annie and Loki love to split a tin of sardines in spring water/tomato sauce between them every week or two! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice