Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fish Tank Not Cooling Down

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by EddiesTech, Aug 14, 2019.

1. EddiesTech

EddiesTech PetForums Newbie

When setting up my fish tank my heater was set to 30°C. After my tank was heated to said degrees, I set it lower to 26°C like it should be. I have waited 3 days with 2 of them having the top of the tank open with the lights off and the tank is at around 29.5°C. I have tried putting a cold water bottle with ice in it, but when the ice melts it stops taking the temperature down and it goes back up to around 29.5°C. The heater has not been on. How can I get my tank temperature go down to 26°C fast? The tank has fish in it.
    Any answers appreciated

Eddie
    Edit: I have an Aqua One 25W Heater, A CIANO tank and CIANO CF40 Filter

#1 EddiesTech, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

What fish are in there?

You don't want any sudden changes in temperature as that will stress them out more than too much heat. You could try setting up a fan to blow across the surface of the water.

3. EddiesTech

EddiesTech PetForums Newbie

I have some Cardinal Tetras as seen in my profile picture!
    I live in the UK so it seems weird the tank would not go back to room temp in 4 days, so we think that possibly my thermometer is not calibrated. I can't see any way to reset it though. Any thoughts?

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I assume you have a digital thermometer. Could you get one of the traditional glass ones to double check? They're not very expensive and should be readily available from aquatic shops.

Cardinal tetras are fine with higher temperatures, though, so I wouldn't stress too much :)

Picklelily likes this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

During the warm weather my tank was at 30 for a few days, everyone was fine.
    You can put a fan to blow on the tank to help cooling if it gets worse but it should be fine.
    Do make sure the sun isn't directly on the tank and turning your lights off can also aid cooling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice