Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fish and Chicken for Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mangostar, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Mangostar

Mangostar PetForums Newbie

Hi

I'm aware there have been posts a few years ago but I wanted to reopen a new thread on feeding kittens fresh meat.

I have one Siamese kitty and an oriental joining him shortly. Both feeding on royal canin kitten pouches and dry biscuits.

However I wanted to supplement their diets with fish and chicken on alternate days

First question is how much should I do as a portion per kitten? I was thinking 50g

Secondly how should I cook the fish and chicken? Boil? Steam? Pan fry? Grilled?

Thirdly what's the deal with tinned fish in oil ? I understand this should be ab occasional treat, but how often is occasional? Once a fortnight? Month?

Looking forward to hearing your responses

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mangostar and welcome :)

Oil is loosening to the bowel for a cat, so I prefer to use sardines or mackerel in spring water. But tinned fish for humans contains too much salt for a cat's diet (salt is bad for their kidneys). And tinned fish for humans is not a complete food. It is essential that kittens are fed complete foods only as they are growing rapidly and need all their nutrients to build strong muscles and bones,

There are fish cat foods on the market which are complete e.g Thrive Complete tinned Sardine and Mackerel or Ocean fish. I would only feed fish once a week, not every alternate day.

If you want to feed home cooked fish it is best poached in water for 10 minutes on a plate on a saucepan of boiling water with a lid over the plate. Save the stock and serve it with the fish. Pollock, Coley, Cod, Haddock or Salmon are all OK. Please be super vigilant about removing all bones after cooking before serving!

As far as home cooked meats or fish go, you' d need to add a "completer" There is a good make sold by Zooplus which is suitable for adding to cooked meat and fish (not all supplements are suitable for cooked meat or fish).

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

You can also buy a suitable completer from Purrform:

https://www.purrform.co.uk/product/purrform-complete-supplement-50g/

Meats are best pot roasted in the oven (or cooked in a slow cooker ) to conserve the nutrients best.

Chicken thighs are better than breast, they contain more taurine and the meat is more tasty for a cat. Buy thighs with the skin on, the kittens need the skin for the fat content.

METHOD of pot roasting : Put chicken thighs in greased oven pan, adding about 4 cms of water for stock. Cover pan tightly with kitchen foil, and bake on top shelf of oven, Gas Mark 5 for one hour.

Then strain off the juices (stock) into a pyrex bowl or jug and refrigerate for 12 hours so the fat rises to the top and can be skimmed off, saved and used later (perhaps add a tiny bit to to their meals). You are left with a nutritious jelly, which you add a couple of tablespoonfuls of to their meals so they are
    getting their fluids. The jelly can be warmed in the microwave for 10 seconds to melt it.

Turkey drumstick can be cooked the same way.

Beef, lamb or pork chunks can be casseroled in the oven, gas mark 5 for one hour.

Mince can be quick fried in a bit of chicken fat (or goose fat - buy from supermarkets), and add a little water at end for stock.

50 grams a meal is quite a lot of pure meat for a small tummy. Perhaps 35 grams per meal is better. Remember there is no fibre in plain meat and jelly and you do not want the kittens getting constipated.

#2 chillminx, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Gas mark 5 is 190C. I used 160C for 2 hours when poaching chicken thighs.

You can cook fish in a microwave over water from frozen. I give 3 bursts of 1 minute with rests inbetween. I used a microwave fish poacher to cook it in, it's good for vegetables as well.

4. Mangostar

Mangostar PetForums Newbie

Thanks . They will be on royal canin kitten wet and dry as their main meals.

The fish / chicken is just an extra and I will make note to strain the oil off tinned fish and only give them a small amount very occasionally

5. Dr.A

Dr.A PetForums Member

Can I just ask what’s the reasoning behind feeding fish/fish based cat food once a week? I’m curious.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Fish is not the best type of food for cats, meat is better. Also if feeding tinned fish for humans, it contains salt which is not good for cat kidneys.

Deep sea fish such as tuna should only be fed occasionally to cats because of contamination by heavy metals and run-off pesticides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice