Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

First time veggie garden.. Tips, advice, anything

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by joelmarks, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelmarks

joelmarks Banned

This is my first year to start a veggie garden. So far, I have a couple tomato plants, and some strawberry plants. But.. I'm getting ready to plant a variety.. I have a few more tomato plants, 4 squash, 10 watermelon, 4 cucumber, 1 Habanero, 4 Jalapeno, 4 bell pepper, 4 broccoli, 4 cauliflower... And then all of the above in seeds, plus cabbage, corn, radish, carrot, cantaloupe, spinach, lettuce, peas, beans, brussell sprouts, pumpkin, sunflower, and a few others.

Of these, do any do well in partial shade? Is it too late or early to plant any of these? Any of these need special care/more difficult to grow?

Just any advice from experience veggie gardeners would be appreciated!!

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

What's your soil like?

3. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Wow, it sounds like you're going to be growing a lot considering it's your first time.

For tomatoes, water regularly and feed them once a week. Also remember to pick off the side shoots from the main stems.

4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

You have to know whether the variety is determinate or indeterminate. The former are the bush types and should be left alone.

5. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Woops sorry. We grew Sun Gold and Sweet Million last year and picked the side shoots (my partner fortunately knows what he's doing and I just followed his orders!)

6. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Lettuce and spinach are considered a cool weather crop. They won't like too much heat.

7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

As the OP is no longer with us I will close this now :Locktopic

WillowT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice