Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First time rabbit owner, help with litter training please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Marley boy, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Hi three weeks ago, my husband rescued a rabbit from someone who wasn't caring for it, this is my first rabbit so its been a very quick learning process. Tina is about a year old, isn't spayed and had been kept in an indoor guinea pig cage. She is now in a massive double story hutch outside and loves her new accommodation however she toilets EVERYWHERE! Im trying to litter train her so I got a cat litter tray filled it with wood pellet litter with a layer of hay and removed the hay from everywhere else (as i was advised to do). It helped slightly because she seems to pee and poo where she eats hay however she was still peeing and pooing alot out side the litter tray. Each day I clean up the poo and pee and place some in the litter tray. Last night I felt sorry for her not having any bedding so I gave her a load of hay in the bed area which is upstairs from the litter tray and its soaking this morning. Im at a loss as to what to do next, she doesn't seem to prefer a certain area of her hutch, only she seems to go slightly more where ever the hay is. Id be grateful for any advice.

Oh yeah just to add she is booked in to be spayed on the 27th and we are hoping to see if she will bond with another rabbit from a local rescue once her hormones have gone down after the operation.

2. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Like us, bunnies don't want to wee and eat in the same place :)

Get a wire basket for her hay, and attach it to the hutch at her head-height, directly above the litter tray, so that she can eat hay (from the basket) while sitting in the tray, or from outside the tray if she prefers.

Vigilance is the answer! Put just a layer of newspaper in her litter tray - nothing else, and make sure the rest of the hutch is covered with a layer of newspaper and then barley straw (better than wood chippings or sawdust, and better than hay which is her main food). You then need to check the hutch as often as you can (during the day, hourly would be good) and every time she wees or poos outside the litter tray, put some of the soiled material and the poo into the litter tray. (This is why it's good to line the hutch with paper before putting down the barley straw, as you can then transfer the wet paper to the litter tray - you really don't want to put straw in the tray as it will confuse her - straw is for bed, paper is for wee!)

If you persevere she should get the message.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice