Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First time pet owner

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rizwan ahmed, May 13, 2020.

1. Rizwan ahmed

Rizwan ahmed PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

Me and my family recently received a kitten from a friend who's cat gave birth to more than expected. As a family that has never had a pet before (strange right?) I was wondering if you have any tips or tricks that I could use to help the kitten settle into her new house?
    Feeding schedules?
    Sleeping schedules?
    Grooming?

bluecordelia and TriTri like this.
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

Do you know how old the kitten is - how many weeks?
    What are you currently feeding and how often?
    What toys do you have or what games do you play with the kitten?
    Is she long or short haired?
    Does the kitten have their vaccinations and has been wormed?

We love photos if you have any :)

3. Rizwan ahmed

Rizwan ahmed PetForums Newbie

Kitten is around 13 weeks old, had all its vaccinations.
    Feeding her around 3 times a day. Morning, afternoon and just before bed (Heard this helps with the kitten going to sleep at night). Currently feeding Webbox chicken yogurt and whiskas Kitten pouches
    We've been advised to keep her in a single room for a few days so she can get used to the environment and smells, she has ball string toy and a 3 level fun roller which she loves to play with. The room she is in is carpeted so she is scratching the carpet, and occasional the scratch post.
    She is short haired
    She has been wormed at 2, 5, 8 and 11 weeks. We were told by the previous owner to worm her monthly now
    I've tried booking an appointment with a veterinarian but everything is all closed or emergency only due to the pandemic.
    I'd love to take a photo of her myself but she is full of energy and never stays in the same place for long :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    That's a good age to be taken home at for a kitten.:cool:

I would feed her as much as she wants. Try an additional pouch of food per day and see how she does on that.
    I would also gradually transition her to better quality wet food. Wet food is much better than dry but sugar free and with limited added carbs/ filler is better.
    Many people use Zooplus for food but here are some brands you can find at pet shops or maybe a supermarket, Lily's Kitchen, Meowing Heads, Butchers (they have organic and bio varieties).

That seems like a lot of worming. I have indoor cats and only worm once a year. Will she be inside and outdoors? I would check with the vet if once a month is needed.

Try putting a scratcher (flat shaped) where she is scratching the carpet. My cats like both upright and flat scratchers and posts.
    Here are a few ideas:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIEX-Scrat...370113&sprefix=Cat+scratchers+,aps,326&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aibuddy-Sc...370113&sprefix=Cat+scratchers+,aps,326&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetFusion-...70113&sprefix=Cat+scratchers+,aps,326&sr=8-17

best to have some throughout the home and I would get a cat tree as well.

Is she a particular breed? For my short haired cat, I use a regular slicker type brush. Sometimes, he does shed a bit, more than my longhaired cat.
    If you get her used to be brushed early on it is good.
    Same with having her mouth looked at from time to time.
    Trimming nails as well. A vet nurse or online tutorial is good, as you do not want to accidentally cause pain and make her afraid in future.
    My kitten got used to having his nails trimmed early on and is fine with it. I normally clip a few while he is relaxed or sleeping.

5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

MaineCoonCats0 and chillminx like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Trimming claws is unnecessary unless for shows, it will not prevent a cat or kitten displaying natural scratching behaviour. Better to teach your kitten appropriate claw use - you can encourage tree scratching with some catnip spray on the scratch post. Some cats will unfortunately claw at carpets and often nothing deters them. For this reason, I no longer invest in expensive flooring!

Unless your kitten is going outside (which they should not be doing until well over 12 months anyway), there is no need to worm. Ideally you should be keeping your kitten indoor throughout its life as it's much safer. You can build a catio or catproof your garden to allow safe and limited outdoor access.

I would increase feeding to 4-5 times a day, and better quality food. You can find a sticky thread on good food in the Health and Nutrition section, or post a separate thread for recommendations, save things getting lost in this one.

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Just to clarify, I did not say trimming nails reduces cats normal scratching behavior :)

Not sure why one would only do it for cat shows. I trim both of my cats front nails and many other people do the same. If the OP would like to do so, now is a good time to start.

We have many scratching posts etc and never considered that nail trimming might make them obsolete.:Hilarious

ribbon, spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

What is the purpose of trimming claws? To stop scratching, yes? Hence why it's used at shows. But teaching a cat not to scratch is far better than trimming claws, particularly as more zealous trimming can cause the claw to split. I've never understood this need to trim claws for indoor cats myself.

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

We trim all our cats claws, regardless of shows. Most indoor cat owners I know do.

Makes their kneading much more comfortable too.
    Starting young is always good, we start the kittens young so their new owners can easily continue.

Summercat likes this.
  10. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

To blunt them as they're not getting the same wear as if they were going outside.
    My cats sound like their feet are velcro walking along the carpet if their claws don't get done, I don't think its particularly comfortable for them.

spotty cats likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Cat's claws are not like dog claws - the front paws especially don't get blunt outside, because the claws are normally retracted. The structure is different, dog claws are somewhat like our fingernails but cat claws are like the layers in an onion and those come off when they scratch or nibble. This lets them keep nice sharp claws!

Some cats need their claws clipping as they aren't able to look them themselves - this is especially older cats, or those with some types of abnormal paws. They are also meant to be clipped before showing (GCCF rule) both back & front, and a lot of people with indoor cats, and/or with vigorous kneaders, and/or with especially delicate skin clip them.

I've only ever take a couple of mm off when clipping to show, and I find the cat gets it's claws back in order pretty quickly - a day or two. I've seen cats at shows with claws clipped almost to the quick and it makes me wince.

12. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I definitely don't do that, just the very tip. I know they keep them retracted but still think they get some wear walking on harder surfaces. Or perhaps its the activity level of climbing trees and things.
    All I know is my outdoor cats claws were never as sharp as my current indoor ones.

13. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Welcome and it sounds like you are doing really well @Rizwan ahmed
    Yes feed little and often. Kitten may need 2 litter trays and not near the food.

get on some great complete wet cat food . It will pay dividends with better health and nicer stools! Think about insurance.

Get grooming so the kitten accepts it. Look into buying your flea and worming online I use Violet. You don’t need a prescription so save a fair bit. Bob Martins stuff is rubbish. I use Drontal worms and Advantage fleas.

I also have a vac for life scheme so I get annual vaccines and a health check up . You pay about £99 as a one off payment and nothing after.

hope this helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice