Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First time owner of a kitten! (I never had a cat!)

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by airoll, Sep 8, 2013.

1. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

Hello to all,

I'm a new member and I really joined this community to seek help. I picked up a stray kitten. My nieces found it in school. It found its way in the playground. 3 days after that the kitten was still there but its tail was cut off! So I decided to take it home with me.

The problem is:

1: I don't know how old it is.
    2: I never took care of a cat before.
    3: I don't know what I need.
    4: The most important so it should have been number one on my list, it hasn't pooped in 3 days.

I've searched through Google to find out what to do but nothing seems to help. The veterinarian I visited told me to wait a couple more days because I brought it in when it didn't poop for a whole day. I'm taking it tomorrow but if there's any immediate treatment I can do now, I would like to do so. Please help me. :confused:

By the way, its teeth are already out but I don't really know how to judge whether it's already all out or fully out. It's about the size of a full-grown guinea pig and its stomach seems bloated but it isn't hard. It barely pees too.

#1 airoll, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Sorry if this is a silly question. Do you have a litter tray set up for it to poop in?

There's a thread with a guide to buying a kitten, but a lot also applies to finding a kitten...http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/101494-buying-kitten-guide.html

I'm surprised that the vet didn't want to see it - did he/she know that its tail had been cut off recently?

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Poor little kitten :(

The hard belly could most probably be worms, most kittens will get these and they need to be given a wormer by the vet. Take the kitten to the vet tomorrow and ask for a suitable wormer, they will check it over and make sure there's nothing wrong.

Hope you've now got a litter tray! You should use woodchip litter rather than clay litter for kittens. Sounds like it has its baby teeth but it will lose these and grow adult teeth over the next few months (you may not notice it happen though!)

Poor little thing to have its tail cut off, wonder who did that? :mad:
    It must've had some human caring in the first place though, or it would not allow you to handle it! It obviously sounds quite tame, which is one good thing :)

4. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I already bought kitty litter, a litter box. Also I bought cat food, but I'm not sure if the one I got is good enough for a kitten. Is it supposed to be wet food, the one I got is dry?

I also got some vitamins for kittens and a powdered formula for kittens.

I told the vet that the tail was cut recently and he said as long as it doesn't bother the kitten (I don't even know how I am supposed to determine that!) it's nothing to worry about. I couldn't bring it to him personally because the rain was so strong and I didn't know whether it's safe to bring the kitty out.

Remind me to find another vet.

5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

This is your reminder to find another vet! And to make an appointment with him/her asap. It's lovely that you've taken the poor little thing in but the recent injury, above anything else at the moment, means that s/he needs immediate veterinary attention.

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh gosh what a poor little kitty.

While a cat will often not poop for a day or two in a new home I would be really quite worried if it has not been by now. My concern is that whatever damaged it's tail has caused nerve damage and it's bowel is not working.
    OP, wet food is a much better choice than dried. I would normally advise feeding some oily canned fish if a cat is constipated but am hesitant to do so in this case a we do not know the extent of the injury.
    Please try and get kitty to a vet tomorrow asap and please do keep us all updated.

7. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Excuse me asking a pile of questions but I am just trying to get a bit more detail so that everyone can help you :)
    1. Is it eating the food you have got?
    2. What food have you got?
    3. Is the wound on its tail healed or raw?
    4. What colour are its eyes? (not as silly as it sounds, it helps to work out its age)
    5. What is it actually doing now you have it in a safe place?
    6. Has it used the litter tray yet?

8. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

My usual vet is out of the country and the rain hasn't been to good lately, but I will bring it to the vet tomorrow morning. The wound seems clean it's closing well. I've been checking it daily for any signs of infections. (I was a nurse) I've been cleaning it regularly but again, things may be different with animals. I will post an update as soon as a vet sees her.

Allow me to thank you all for your replies. This forum has been the only one I've been where I've gotten a reply so quickly.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh well your nursing skills will stand you in good stead.
    Is it a tiny kitten, or bigger? I ask because if it is tiny it may respond to being stimulated to help it toilet. You could use a warm damp wash cloth to wipe it's bottom, to mimic the way a mother cat would lick the cat to stimulate bowel reflex.

10. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

1. yes it's eating.
    2. I have Whiskas and formula.
    3. The wound is already healing at this point.
    4. The eyes are more of grey I guess, (Kitty just woke up)
    5. At first it stayed under my bed most of the time. But now it's running and chasing everything that moves and sleeps a lot. It eats regularly though. Water, milk and food provided always and I change it whether it's finished or not when I get home back from work.
    6. No, it hasn't used it yet. But I will try to put it's litter tray farther from his food. It's about a meter away right now.

#10 airoll, Sep 8, 2013
  11. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

I will try this again. I used a towel, I guess to imitate a cat's tongue =P I'm not sure if it would help. But I didn't use warm water! I should have thought of that. I will try it again.

It's as big as an adult guinea pig.

#11 airoll, Sep 8, 2013
  12. airoll

airoll PetForums Newbie

So everyone can see her. This is my new kitty

Attached Files:

13. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

the nerve endings for bowel and bladder are in the base of the tail - looking at the photo your kitten still has quite a bit of tail left so i wouldn't think the nerve endings are damaged. if i was you i would get the vet to check the kitten out to be on the safe side (like everyone has suggested). please keep us updated, btw the kitten looks a lovely little thing:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice