Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First time kitten owners - nervous kitten? please help :)

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by chloe12345, Jul 31, 2019.

1. chloe12345

chloe12345 PetForums Newbie

We brought home a kitten a few days ago and he seems nervous (which is a given). However, at night time he seems to be most nervous. He meows and tries to climb up walls/jump on the kitchen tops (He is currently being kept in one room due to nerves). There is no room in the kitchen for a cat tower at the moment. Other than the cat tower, does anyone know any ways to teach the kitten he isnt allowed on the counter tops?

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

We gave up quite quickly with Barney. He loves to climb, it was impossible to stop him. So now we just constantly clean the worktops before and after food preparation

chillminx, chloe12345 and Betty6691 like this.
  3. chloe12345

I feel this may be the case with Leo too! Hopefully when he moves into the other rooms in the house his cat tower will distract him from the counter tops - although this is wishful thinking haha!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Leo would probably be more settled, less nervous if you could spend the nights with him for the next few days. Your presence would reassure him.

It is a big change for a kitten, leaving their mum and litter mates, suddenly being on their own in a strange place with new humans. How old is Leo?

A kitchen is not the best place to use as a new kitten's safe room as there are usually too many things for the kitty to get under and maybe get stuck, e.g. fridge, dishwasher etc. There have been cases on the forum in the past of new kittens having got under kitchen cupboards, found a small opening at the back and squeezed through it to the area under the floorboards. :(

If you shared your bedroom with him as his safe room, then he could spend the nights with you. :)

chloe12345 likes this.
  5. chloe12345

Great idea thank you for the tip :) he is 14 weeks old!

All of our kitchen appliances e.g. fridge, dishwasher etc are situated inside cupboards (it's hard to explain the design of it & I'm very bad at describing things haha) so he wouldn't be able to squeeze his way through any gaps as there aren't any which is why we've allowed it to be his comfy room! :) But it is sad to hear that some kitties have gotten under appliances and the floorboards! They must have been very scared :Nailbiting

I tried to put him in my bedroom the first night but he got too scared and was trying to get behind the wardrobe - which was expected as it was his first night. However, my wardrobes are large ikea ones which I am unable to move due to them being so heavy, so I was worried about him being stuck behind there as the gap was tiny!

But I will try and allow him in my bedroom again as this seems like a very good idea! He has since ventured out to the living room so I will try introduce him into my room again in a few days as I dont want to overwhelm him with too many rooms! :)

He sometimes will not come out of his bed to play, but he will play inside his bed. Do you know if this is a good or bad thing? I'm not sure if he is just scared a little? When this happens do you think I should try and lure him out or leave him alone? I obviously want us to bond but I don't want to scare him off! I've tried playing whilst lying on the floor and tried slowly blinking at him as I read that cats see this as affection?

Sorry for the novel haha! Hope you dont mind answering my questions :Cat :Cat :Cat

chillminx and BarneyBobCat like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi again Chloe, I don't mind answering any questions you may have, so please ask away! :)

If the little one wants to play in his bed I would leave him to do so, it is not a bad thing. I would only be concerned if he didn't play at all. But sitting near and blinking slowly at him is a nice thing to do. :)

Your kitchen sounds a safe place as you describe it, as long as there is nothing he could burn himself on, e.g. hot pans or hot hob. You could sleep in the kitchen with him for a few nights (it might be less disruptive than moving him to your bedroom). Some people do that, using a camp bed, or an inflatable mattress, and a sleeping bag.

When I had a new kitten on their own I used a large folding dog crate for him in my bedroom over night for a couple of weeks. It meant I could have him near me all night and he felt Ok safely enclosed. The crate was large enough for his bed, litter tray, food bowl, water bowl and had room for him to play with his toys.

chloe12345 likes this.
  7. chloe12345

The dog crate seems like a great idea! He didn’t cry at all last night so maybe he is now getting used to being alone rather than with his kitty family? I’m definitely going to try and keep him in my room at some point this week! I don’t have anything resembling a dog crate (and i’m only a student so low on funds!) so i may try and move his bed in there of a night time and see how he reacts? If he enjoys it i will try and buy a little kittie crate/playpen in the near future. You’ve been such a great help! :)

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Happy to be able to help. :)

You may be able to borrow a folding dog crate for a few weeks rather than having to buy one. The local social media website "Nextdoor" is very helpful for that kind of thing. They are nice friendly people :)

https://nextdoor.co.uk/

Or your town or village may have a local group on Facebook.

chloe12345 likes this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi Chloe!
    Great advice already given!
    I hope you won’t be offended but as you are a student and funds are low please think about putting a little money aside each week/month towards Vet fees. I think insurance might be a bit much but no harm in getting some quotes. I can’t help with that as I’m not in the Uk. I wish you lots of luck settling your new baby! Some photos would be lovely too! :)

chloe12345 likes this.
  10. BarneyBobCat

You can get insurance for around £4 a month in the UK for basic cover

chloe12345 likes this.
  11. chloe12345

Thank you so much! Oh don’t worry i’m not offended at all, love having help from other experienced cat owners :) He lives in my parents house where I will be for a few months (and visit every week :) ) , i think they have sorted out the insurance and will be paying for the Vet fees as well - I just pay for the toys/cat trees/pens etc so it’s not just them paying for everything :) Here’s a little pic of him asleep on my lap!

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  12. chloe12345

Thank you! Do you know what insurance companies are the best? We’ve been looking around but we’re not too sure!

13. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Member

What a beauty!

Soozi and chloe12345 like this.
  14. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh he’s gorgeous! Good luck!

chloe12345 likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww, he is gorgeous! He looks rather like a Silver Tabby BSH! :)

Treaclesmum, Soozi and chloe12345 like this.
  16. chloe12345

You’d be correct! :) Also, i’ve been trying to reply to your last message above for hours but it keeps coming up saying ‘error’! But thank you I’ve checked out that website!

Thanks for all of your help everyone :)

Treaclesmum, Soozi and chillminx like this.
  17. chloe12345

Thank you :D

Soozi likes this.
  18. chloe12345

Lovely isn’t he! :)

Soozi likes this.
  19. BarneyBobCat

If you are on a budget just use something like comparethemarket. But bare in mind vet bills can be very expensive and can easily go into thousands - I have been burned by only getting 1k cover for my little fella. That disappeared while trying to work out what was wrong with him

chloe12345 likes this.
  20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I can recommend Pet Plan , not the cheapest around but I have had my lad insure with them for the past 9 years and had no problems with claims or huge hikes in annual premiums.
    Have a look at this link which was compiled by a forum member...............http://www.petinsurancecompare.co.uk/

chloe12345 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice