Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first time jack russell breeder and excited :) but scared

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by piglett87, May 15, 2017.

1. piglett87

piglett87 PetForums Newbie

hiya all iv not been a member in here long so thought id come and say hi and introduce us im sarah and have 3 jack russells one of which is pregnant having her first litter and is 4 years old, but is 55 days and having spoke to the vet they think she is getting ready and will have them in next 24 to 48 hours and its a scary thought lol. iv been told to check temp regular and try and encourage her to eat and drink, currently she isnt doing much of each and wants to go out quite alot, she is also quite restless. so the monitoring has began and im sure restless nights too :) if anyone has any advice it is much appreciated

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I hope you've had both the bitch and stud tested to check for primary lens luxation; you don't want to be producing pups that will go blind. Patella luxation is also a very common problem in Jack Russels and may require surgery to fix it.
    http://www.jrthealthregistry.com/testing.php
    Why does your vet think they are coming early?

3. piglett87

they are both family pets and have not had any particular tests did not intend on breeding but the bitch was visiting and come into season early. vet says she thinks they cd be coming early as shes showing all the signs of being ready. shes a first time mum as well. she is now weeing about every 20 min and poohed few times n is defo uncomfy with lots of licking so now on pup watch from a distance

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

55 days would be very early for a Jack Russell.

Of course, watch her, as your Vet has advised

Is she nesting/digging, shivering or panting?

It's a pity she was mated, but what's done is done.

simplysardonic and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. piglett87

Why is everyone so quick to judge. Puppies are all catered for as she is only having 3 or 4 so staying in the family. As i said she cone into season eary so wasnt expected otherwise it wouldnt of happened. Yes she has been dogging for a few days now. Wont leave my side so have been sleeping downstairs with her and shes very restless which is unlike her. Temp dropped real low and is creeping back up but still not normal temp. Not panting or shivering ... however a couple of times she has been licking and when she stopped she was sat up and did a shakey type thing not sure if this is anythin or just that she over cleaned herself.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hope it all goes well and the pups have great lives in their wonderful, forever homes.

However, this is a forum of animal lovers who know only too well the sad plight of the thousands of dogs in rescue at the moment and the large number for whom today will be their last as they will be put down because there is nowhere for them to go and be happy and loved.

No surprise then that not everyone is delighted to hear about yet another accidental litter about to enter this already overcrowded pet World - which could so easily be avoided :(

I would avoid constantly taking her temp too as that must be very uncomfortable for her.

Good luck with her, I wish her and her pups well.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she has had a temperature drop to 99 degrees F which is 37.2 degrees C, then first stage of labour should start in 24 hours from the drop.
    The cervix opens in the first stage of labour they tend to be restless, and pant, and there may be some straining but not strong straining the strong abdominal straining should follow and the puppies should be produced. The link below is a handy list and tells you of common problems during and post whelping, and may help to identify any problems should there be any.

https://www.medicanimal.com/Canine-...problems-during-and-post-whelping/a/ART111510

This may help to from item 9 downwards
    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/

Neither are fully comprehensive lists, but they will at least give you necessary information without pages and pages of reading and should be of help as a guide, to help work out if things appear to be normal and progressing OK or alert to you things that may be signalling there is a problem

8. piglett87

Thank you. Temp has been 37.4 and lower for 24 hours and she is defo restless and has been pulling her bed about. But no signs of panting as such but she is sighing now and again. Im really hoping things wont be long but im sure shes gonna keep me guessin for a few more days to be awkward and keep me wake lol

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Text book if her temp has dropped 24 hours ago then she should be in the first stages of labour now nesting and the temp drop is usually a sign, if this goes on for another 24 hours without nothing further happening and going into proper labour I would check in with your vet. Have a look at that first link it will tell you when you need to phone a vet and signs labour isn't progressing as it should.

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The first signs of labour are normally loss of appetite, restlessness, shivering/trembling and digging/nesting.

11. piglett87

Well over the last hour she is doing alot of licking. Has a couple of mins playing with a toy then walks around then rolls aroun in her bed then starts scratching and at one point come over so i could itch her back and sides and even belly shes had a small amount of food but not much. No funny breathing or anything though

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She doesn't sound as though she's in early labour.

She wouldn't be eating and certainly wouldn't be playing.

It's really just a waiting game now.

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do you have her on a good quality, complete puppy food?

14. piglett87

Yes shes on a good puppy food my vet rang to check in on how shes doin and said it sounds like shes waiting for the right time (noisy kids to go to sleep etc) she said it may be her way of coping. As for food shes only had a very small amount all day as in less than a handfull but yea just a case of wait and see. She keeps coming for cuddles and looking at me as if to say ...help lol

15. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I'd had myself or friends females which have ate sane day they go into labor. Though it is possible that will vomit once labor starts.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I did! Lasagne, if I remember correctly! :Wtf:D

17. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I ate breakfast. Felt fine. Labor started, was walking as it supposedly helps and throw up. Yuck.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

One of my bitches wolfed down a big bowl of meat then half an hour later went as she she was having a poo and out popped a pup 6 days early.

SpicyBulldog and Lurcherlad like this.
  19. piglett87

i ate a gd meal before goin intyo labour lol im beginning if all this is signs things are tstarting very slowly n its her way of dealing with it

20. Lurch-er

Lurch-er PetForums Member

I'm no expert the only experience I have is a few years back my little lurcher bitch which I should of had spayed but didn't got covered by my mates collie she was good as gold but did whelp a few days early not much input I'm afraid but just thought I'd share it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice