Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First time dog owner - insurance advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gadgie, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Gadgie

Gadgie PetForums Junior

Hi

I am picking up my first dog next week and was looking for some advice on what would be the best pet insurance to get. I was thinking about either petplan or more than as they seem to have a good record on paying out quickly (please correct me if I am wrong). I realise it is very important to get the right insurance from the off and would really appreciate any recommendations, advice and what to look for, pitfalls etc.

Also would it be best to have insurance that pays a max each year as appose to a maximum for a single condition or accident and if so which companys would be best.

thanks very much

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Good luck with finding the right insurance for your dog it's a bit of a minefield I would suggest you google a few a get some quotes

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Best is life time or life long cover. You can get various amounts, the higher the amount covered per year obviously the higher the premium will be. With lifelong/lifetime each new year you renew the whole amount insured for will be re-instated, no matter what claims you had in the previous year. This means that if your dog has an accident, with later complications, an ongoing illness needing regular medication and testing, or something that re-occurs you will always be covered. Most companies do varying amounts per year, so look for the best amount of monetary cover you can afford.

Some that appear cheaper, will give an amount to spend on vet bills per year,
    but only cover you for 12mths from accident or diagnosis of illness. This means that onece the time is up, and should it re-occur later or be a ongoing condition then you will not be paid out any more once the time is up.

Some do give you an amount per condition or illness and dont have a time limit, just a monetary limit, but again once the total funds are used up then they will not pay out anymore. They also tend to lump conditions in one too.
    its not just each and every illness. They use a blanket "title" or some do like lamness, eye disorders ect. £5000 for example might look a lot per condition but it doesnt take long to eat away out in say xrays, scans and an Op if you should be unfortuanate enough to require it. There are a few that will give per condition or accident that are life time/life long which will mean the whole amounts would be re instated as long as you renew with the same company.
    So those obviously would be OK.

A good indication to find a good company is to contact your vet, ask if they accept direct payment, meaning you only pay for the excess (Which every policy has) then they claim the rest from the insurance. If they do, ask which companies they accept direct payment from. (Some vets will from some companies but not others) thats a fair indication usually who pay without quibble and who doesnt.

For the first 14 days, you cannot claim on most policies, although some will cover for accident in the first 2 weeks. When you take out your policy make sure you read all the terms and conditions when it arrives to double check it is as good as you thought. If it isnt you have time to cancel for usually the first 10/14 days.

It is important to get it right at the start, as if you change later, anything your dog has had will be classed as pre existing condition, so the new company if you change wont cover you.

Hope this might help.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just noticed you mentioned More Thans a consideration. I had a More Than policy, unless they do several types now, it was amount per condition with no time limit, but once total amount received no further payments. They also introduced you have to pay, as well as the excess, the first 10% of each and every claim as well, no matter how old the dog. Where as most just charge the excess, and only when the dog is 8/9 years old make you pay a percentage of each claim too. When I took mine out in spite of saying you are not penalised for claims with higher premiums. For the first 3 years it only went up by £3 a month each time. Then when mine got to 4Yrs and the renewal came in it rocketed from £39.99 to £70.40 per month. The year before that they introduced that you had to pay the first 10% of each claim as well as the excess too.

Give them their due they did pay out with no quibble, and the payment was in a reasonable time frame too, plus my vet would accept direct payment.
    But there are better policies out their with better cover.

5. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Personally I would go with Petplan, it's expensive but the cover is exhaustive and I've never had a problem with them paying and they always pay the vet directly so I don't have to put the moneyup first. There is a 14 day initial period where you will be unable to claim vet fees though. If the puppy is KC registered then the breeder should have been given vouchers for 4 weeks free KC insurance which cover vet fees immediately. You can activate it over the internet as son as you collect the dog. I would stick with petplan after that.

6. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I wanted to go with Petplan, especially as they pay a donation to the rescue, but they wouldn't insure Mia as we are in a pub. It was the public liability side that they were concerned about, they seemed to think that there was more risk of her getting out than in an ordinary house because of customers. They didn't take the high security we also have into consideration. I was a bit peeved because I have heard that they are really good.

7. Gadgie

Gadgie PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone for the info it is all very helpful. I will call a few places for quotes and will hopefully be able to go with petplan, budget permitting.

cheers

8. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

I have pet plan insurance for my pup as I was informed that they deal directly with the vets to sort out payments rather than having to pay it and claim it back.
    I have used it for the first time this week and my vet only asked me to pay the excess on the policy and they will now sort out the rest.
    The policy Has a limit for each condition for each year so if it runs out in one year it renews again for the next year rather than a total for each condition.
    It is more expensive but give great peace of mind !

9. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

When I had my previous dog I was with Tesco pet insurance and found them quite good re paying but not so good if there was an emergency and I needed to know if they would pay out or not. EG Faced with a very sick dog who needed a week in RVC costing £2,000 - to start with! I did get the money but it was a long 10 days wondering!

However, for all other claims I received payment quickly. It is better in my opinion to have the extra cover rather than the standard policy. Here is what it covers:

Includes the cost of treating injuries or illnesses up to £4,000 per eligible condition, including up to £1000 for complementary therapy. You will not be able to claim on the policy for the same condition once the maximum limit is reached. No time limit on claiming as long as the policy remains active.

Hoping shortly to buy another dog and although I will shop around I will probably go back to Tescos. Hope this helps.

10. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

11. Gadgie

Gadgie PetForums Junior

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I am thinking about insuring with either petplan or vets medi cover, has anyone got any feedback for the latter?

Also Jake has some staffie in him is this likely to effect the premium price if he is a cross breed and should I disclose this. When I spoke to petplan I told them he was a cross and they asked if he was crossed with any dangerous breeds. I asked what would constitute as a dangerous breed and he mentioned a few but staffie was not mentioned. All the staffies I have ever met have all been very nice dogs are they seen in the public eye (and in the eyes of insurance companies) as dangerous.

Also do they you need to have a credit check carried out when insuring a dog?

thanks very much

#11 Gadgie, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

VetsMediCover are fine BUT will only pay your vet directly. Your vet need to agree this in advance. They won't pay you. You might look at alternatives via the link in my sig (both Pet Plan and VetsMediCover are there). I strongly advise you to get a 'lifetime/lifelong' policy.

Staffies are fine - it's just public perception that's wrong. It's all down to training. Staffies are lovely dogs if they are 'brought up' properly.

Finally, you shouldn't need a credit check - it's simple, if you don't pay then they stop covering you. You will need a debit/credit card to pay online or a bank account to set up monthly payments though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice