Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First snake?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Freya_jae02, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Which breed?

1. Mexican black kingsnake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pied ball python

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Freya_jae02

Freya_jae02 PetForums Newbie

I am wanting to own a snake and have done enough research on each breed I want but as of now I am unsure which to get first. I either want a mexican black kingsnake or a pied ball python... Which would you suggest for a first time owner? I adore the mbk but also love the colours of the pied ball python.

2. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

Just something to note first that I hope you'll find interesting and useful; the term 'breed' is only used for variations within domestic species (cats, dogs, rabbits, cattle etc), whereas when we're talking about different snakes we're talking about different 'species' (e.g. corn snake, king snake, royal python etc), and when we talk about the variation within each species of snake we're talking about different 'morphs'.

When it comes to which species is best for a first time owner I tend to default to corn snakes, although king snakes and royal (or ball) pythons are not bad beginners either. (n.b. in America they're called ball pythons but are known as royal pythons in UK).

Royals can occasionally have feeding issues and tend to be slightly more prone to stress and respiratory infections (although that's not saying they all have feeding, or stress issues, or all get RI's, but seems more of a common complaint with them). So I'd say although Royals can make good beginner pets, they're slightly less durable to the mistakes that beginners can make at the start.

I don't know too much about Kings other than the fact that they're a snake eating species so is vital they're never housed with another snake, and that they're generally considered to be quite good as a starter species. I know most about corn snakes, particularly as I've raised over a hundred of them lol.

Another consideration, although all these snake species are generally docile and friendly, theirs also personality variation, every snake is different. despite raising all my snakes the same from hatching, one is snappy and defensive, one hyper-exited and happy to see me but is adamant she'll hunt me one day, one is always pleased to see me but doesn't want to eat me like the other one does, and one is shy but the loveliest snake.

When it comes to which morph, the price will sway that option, some morphs are more expensive than others, and some a lot more expensive. The 'wild-type' colours would be your cheapest option, leaving you more money to spend on the set-up which is the most important part of it, but if you have the cash to spend, all the better. Be sure to always have some savings put aside for vet bills though as their will come a time when your pet will need to visit the vets. Saving early is the smartest move.

For equipment it's worth noting you'll need a thermostat to hook up to your heat source, many beginners don't realise a thermostat is required to prevent their heating devices from over-heating. A digital thermometer is also important for monitoring temperatures, the dial gauges that often come with beginner kits are inaccurate. It is also advised to have one thermometer set up at the cool end and one at the warm end to help you maintain the correct thermo-gradient. A digital hygrometer is also important as incorrect humidity is often the cause of shedding or respiratory issues.

In short, i'm sorry I couldn't give you a more concise answer lol, I know you'll be happy with whichever one you decide on getting but hope i've given you useful information you can use to help make your choice.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice