Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first puppy food! advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by samathena, Aug 11, 2009.

1. samathena

samathena PetForums Newbie

hi all. i have 3 17 day old gsd x english bull puppies. they are huge, health and trying to steal my kids dinner.
    so i went to pet store this morning and bought some complete puppy food, and ive soaked it in water so its nice and soft. . . so now what? i have bought a fresh organic chichen breast and half lb of lean steak mince. which should i give them 1st? do i cook it or just chop it finely and mix it with complete food? how much should i give? god kids are sooo much easier! hope someone can help. sam and madhouse x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I havent a clue. Sorry.

But if you repost this in the breeding section, you may get some good advice. Not everyone looks at all sections, some stick to the areas they know well.

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

can you clarify please.

17 days old???

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I assume the OP has bred them.

5. samathena

yes they are 17days old. she is my angel but it came as a bit of a surprise, thats what i get for leaving her with a friend!

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Was mum the GSD or Bulldog?

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

do they eat solids at 17 days? i never knew that.

no advice from me then lol.

tho i'd have thought that it may be a bit rich for them.

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hmm at 17 days I was only just managing to get my lot to eat puppy formula from a plate!
    If I was you I would make up puppy formula and soak some puppy food and make it kinda like soup to begin with :)

I would love to see some pics

x

9. samathena

will have to borrow a camera for pics, they are luuuvly! i thought it would be too early but found my 2yr old son sat in there sharing his chicken goujons with them (just plain chicken) and they were wolfing it down! ive put this on the breeding section now so thanks for all your imput. PICS TO FOLLOW! sam x

10. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Mine will go on puppy porridge (basiclly fine ground puppy meal mixed with water/lactol) at about 3 weeks. They will still need a majority of their diet from mum so important not to over feed with solids
    Soaked puppy biscuit mashed up to runny paste should be ok. Not sure bout mince etc at this age but what ever you do remember to introduce different food gradually to avoid upset tums

Messy times ahead.........food goes everywhere lol:rolleyes:

11. samathena

doesnt bother me at all! i have a 6yr old, a 2yr old and a 9month old so im used to the mess both ends create lol. although the puppies are cleaner they are already coming away from their bed area to toilet on newspaper, maybe they can teach my kids a thing or two. cheers sam x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice