Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First Post :) - Fur Regrowth

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sweetface, Nov 5, 2012.

1. sweetface

sweetface PetForums Junior

Hi to you all

I am new, and a first time doting mum :) My 6 month old baby Saski is a BSH Blue Colourpoint and is at the vets being spayed at the moment. The Vet said that due to her colouring, her fur may grow back as a darker patch where it is shaved, and asked if I wanted to pay for the incision to be done under her belly instead. He said it is unlikey that the dark patch would be permanent, and I was hesitant about different op (I'm fussing enough already!) , not to mention the extra money, so decided to stay with the original option.

Is it likely that she would be permanently marked?
    I'm worried I've made the wrong choice...

Thanks
    xxx

2. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I really don't understand what's with these British vets making a lateral incision for a spaying. Over here in Holland, it is all done midline, and an increasing number of spays are done laparoscopically (keyhole surgery), which only leaves a 1cm incision wound.

All my girls literally pranced around the house after coming home from a laparoscopic spay, they didn't even seem to feel something had happened to htem.

#2 Jiskefet, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I was given this option too when Molly was spayed back in July.
    I too chose the flank spay, as at that point after losing 2 cats in 4 months just wanted the safest option!

She is a Siamese so the patch is very different to the rest of her, its the colour of her points so at least matches :D. Eventually It will all blend in

Wish vets would confirm this before our cats are lying there on the tables :rolleyes:

hugs for today

4. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

In some types of cats (the colourpoint ones) the fur colour is determined by the temperature. That's why the ears, nose, paws and tail are darker. In those animals, the shaved bit will be at a lower temperature than the rest of the furry part so it will grow darker but the next batch of fur will grow at the same body temperature, hence the same body colour.

Your cat is not a colourpoint so the hair will grow with the same colour but a bit rough as the soft tip of the fur will be cut on shaving. But the next batch of fur will be exactly as before.

Don't worry, the fur growing phase passes so fast that I still get surprised when I see old pictures of Ari with her shaved side.

5. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I've heard that the cat is less likely to lick on the side than on the belly. Also it's easier control the evolution of healing.

The laparoscopic way seems brilliant. Probably very easy post-op like males. I had one ovary removed laparoscopically and I'm glad I had access to this technique.

6. sweetface

Thanks for your replies :)

Saski is home now, seems ok just very sleepy and quiet. She hasn't eaten anything yet though. I can't seem to tempt her.

7. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I heard the lateral spaying is done mainly to have an easily visible scar in case of doubt whether the cat in question had been spayed

8. Katina

Katina PetForums Senior

I agree - I'm in France and we weren't even asked how we would like the spay done - it was a laparoscopic spay and that was it. Here they make a 1cm incision on both sides. With my first girl, smokey, I didn't know, and it was my DH who dropped her at the vet and had the procedure explained to him. When Smokey came home I was looking at her wondering where the scar was! Both my girls were physically ok by the next day.

Anyway, sorry for the OT comment but I think it's really interesting how they do things in other countries.

Glad she is ok, hope she is all back to normal soon! Smokey came home starving, but Flo didnt eat anything till the next day. They are all different, don't worry. Maybe offer her some catmilk if she likes it.

And welcome, btw :D

#8 Katina, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. sweetface

Thankyou! :) I know I'm a fuss pot! It's funny how worry can make you lose sense of rational.. I'm a first time kitten mum so will no doubt be fussing and worrying on here regularly!

It's nice to be here amongst like minded people :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice