Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First night of freedom

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karenmc, Feb 18, 2021.

1. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We'll last night we decided to let Luna have the freedom to choose where she would like to sleep (following some nights of waking and barking in her crate).
    I moved her day bed upstairs next to our bed and set up her crate as usual but left the door open. As we were going to bed she was sprawled on the sofa half asleep. I was the last to go up so I gave her a stroke, said goodnight and pushed the door to upstairs wide open.
    I was expecting a fluffy golden shadow behind me but she stayed on the sofa. Luna slept on the sofa until 2:30am. Then I heard her having a little wander around the living room (no barking or fuss). My husband went down in the morning and she was flat out in her crate!
    She has been upstairs for cuddles and the Bonio I took upstairs last night and had a lie on her bed.
    We are going to do the same tonight and see how she goes. We like the idea of her having more freedom to sleep where she would like to and leaving the crate open will give her the option of the crate that she is familiar with.x

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Last year, Timber decided he wanted to sleep upstairs with us. He was lying on the carpeted landing (our bedroom has a hard floor) so I brought up one of his beds and he settled happily.

Last week, some 6 months or so later, he decided to sleep downstairs. I was actually a little hurt!

Now he is between the two - for example, last night he came upstairs (before us) at about 9.45. I think it was around midnight he went downstairs. This morning, when I woke, he was back upstairs.

I think it's good for him to choose. Things like temperature and noise (like rain falling hard on the sloping roof windows, Mr F snoring - ahem) must disturb good sleep so if he wants to move I'm fine with that.

3. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We were really pleased with how last night went. Fingers crossed tonight is the same. I was really surprised that she didn't come upstairs. My husband said he heard her just by the door downstairs but then she walked away. Typical Luna heading back to the crate after moaning to be out of it!! Lol
    Just thinking I could potentially have snoring on each side of me tonight!!x

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Amber had a duvet in the living room and stayed there all night, Dillon was a of a bit of a nomad he use to move around a then finally settle just inside our bedroom.

karenmc likes this.
  5. margy

margy PetForums VIP

We used to call Suzie goldilocks because she tried all the beds and would finally settle to sleep on Belle's bed, pushing poor Belle onto the edge. Sometimes Belle must have gotten fed up or been frightened of being trod on and she would come into our bed or on waking we'd find her in Suzies bed. Very rarely would Suzie stay in the place she started she was very restless at night. She only woke us up if she needed out, she always came to my side and either bumped against the bed or poked you with her paw.

Kaily, Sarah H, DanWalkersmum and 4 others like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Brilliant news! Well done, Luna:)

Sarah H, margy, DaisyBluebell and 2 others like this.
  7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Well done Luna :D The boxer boys sleep where they want they change rooms normally depending on temperature.

Sarah H, karenmc and JoanneF like this.
  8. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We were really pleased with how the night went. Can't beat morning cuddles with our lovely girl though could pass on the full weight and paws on my stomach as she jumps up!!x

Attached Files:

Nicola234, Kakite, O2.0 and 9 others like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Good girl Luna. Isla says cuddles is bestest

Sarah H and karenmc like this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My dogs have always slept in my bedroom from the first day I brought them home. When they're tiny puppies I make them cosy in a cardboard box, next to my bed where if they're restless I can reach over and stroke them. Once they're more independent I leave them to choose where they want to sleep.

The Schnauzer boys beds are in my bedroom and although Gwylim will sometimes decide to go to bed before me, he and Grisha usually wait and we all troop off to bed at the same time.

11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm so mean mine all sleep in the kitchen at night! There are a few beds to choose from and although they always go to the same ones at bedtime in the morning they might have had a swap!

Good girl Luna for choosing sensible places to spend the night.

12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Sounds sensible to me:D

Sarah H, karenmc and JoanneF like this.
  13. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

As puppies I always have them in our bedroom with us, at 9 months with Luna we opened our bedroom door but she stayed with us until 1. Now she sleeps in one of the spare rooms I think and comes on our bed at about 6. I always think it's a sign of growing up and gaining confidence. Well done your Luna

margy, karenmc and Magyarmum like this.
  14. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Sounds good to me. I can imagine them all cosy on their beds.x

Sarah H and margy like this.
  15. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Ah it's nice when they are properly settled. We have been away in a caravan with my mum and sisters a couple of times (pre covid obviously!) Dottie sleeps in our room at home on our bed usually but add my mum in to the mix and I don't get a look in! She insisted on sleeping with her every time. Whereas mums dog chose to sleep with me and follow me everywhere we often joke we should swap dogs. I am hoping Billy will be a bit more loyal!

karenmc likes this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Well done Luna :) I always see freedom at night as one of the growing up milestones, kind of bittersweet.

I've always let the dogs sleep wherever they like though I prefer them in the bedroom. When the kids were young, we ended up converting a bonus room upstairs that's huge in to the family bedroom. Our queen size bed on one end, a futon mattress laid on the floor on the other end, dog beds strewn about. Kids and dogs slept mostly in a big pile on the futon mattress LOL.

karenmc likes this.
  17. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

I'm really pleased to say we had a good second night. Luna was lying on the floor downstairs as we watched tv before bedtime. My husband and the kids went up first so less fuss upstairs.
    Luna got up and took herself to her crate and lay down.I gave her 2 biscuits as usual but left the crate door open. As soon as she realised I wasn't closing it she ran upstairs alongside me. After a quick turf off my place in our bed she sat on her bed but didn't lie down to settle. She walked into the children's rooms a couple of times then back to us which was fine. It was like she was checking where everyone was.
    Then she took herself back downstairs to the sofa where she slept until coming up to wake us at 7:15am. That is early for Luna on a school holiday morning but fine as we are back in next week so will be up early. She popped out for the toilet then flaked out snoring on the sofa so I grabbed my pillow and snuggled next to her and watched reruns of 'Everybody loves Raymond' on TV. So far we are delighted with how she is doing. Fingers crossed it continues!!x

Sarah H, Boxer123, Ellie&cats and 6 others like this.
  18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Well done Luna...a grown up girl now, sleeping on the sofa :D

karenmc likes this.
  19. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Thank you. We are so pleased with how good she has been. I had to laugh when I came into the bedroom after brushing my teeth and she was lying in my place!! Little rascal!!x

Happy Paws2 and Ellie&cats like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice