Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First night for border collie

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Lauren Swain, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Lauren Swain

Lauren Swain PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I’m a new member and hoping I can get some advice. I have recently adopted a 4 year old border collie for a shelter after him being there two months, his first day has went pretty well so far but I noticed that when a train went by two separate times (I live up a hill from a rail way line) he left the room to go outside the 15 minutes and just sat by himself and then the second time he left the room and sat at the front door. I’m worried in case he is scared of the sound, it’s not a terribly loud noise but it would certainly be strange for a dog who hasn’t heard it before. I had a dog before him who never cared about it. I understand this is his first night so of course it is a massive change for him and it will take time. I am just really hoping he likes it here and

would anyone have any tips of how I can desensitise him to the noise and help him settle even more in my home?

2. Oliwia123

Oliwia123 PetForums Newbie

Hi Lauren, when I adopted my dog Alfur, his first night was very stressful for him. He has some trouble hearing so the smallest movement would make him jump. He was constantly pacing from one room to another. It took him about 3 days to settle in and feel safe. I noticed that he favoured one spot in the house, he always went there when he was nervous, so thats were I placed his bed and toys. To this day, its still his favourite place in the house :)

I think that the best thing to do is to let him explore and get used to the new sounds and environment:)

I hope he settles in well

Lauren Swain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice