Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First litter of welshies, a bit worried about mom...

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jeffeypop, Nov 20, 2020.

1. jeffeypop

jeffeypop PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm Jeff. I grew up with my mother raising all different breeds over the years and she always wanted a Welsh, but here in the Southern US they are rare and quite expensive. She passed away a couple years ago and I got a Welsh female after driving halfway across the country. After a few months she got lonely/bored while I was at work so I thought hey why not get a male. She needs the company, and a few cute pups now and again can't be all that bad. So here we are.

She finally delivered yesterday. Six healthy fat adorable little bugs. She was super nervous and anxious when it started and seemed to really need my help. I tried to calm her and position her, I think the issue was getting the first one out. Once she did I helped with the sac and afterbirth, after that she kind of took over and even turned away from me in her box as if to say "I got this, back off". So I did lol, and all went well.

She has been extremely doting and very protective of the pups. She allows me to pick them up and play with them, etc. but she doesn't seem to want to leave their side. At first I thought, this is understandable. But, tonight (2nd night after birth) I think she needs a break. I've brought her food, and I assume she has snuck away once or twice to the food/water bowls, but that's IT. I don't think she has left their side for more than 2 mins straight.

I know she must be extremely worn out and need a break from nursing, but having trouble getting her to leave. I've gotten her to follow me a couple of times, but within seconds she kinds jumps like "what was that, let me go check those babies." It's great she has these instincts and is so protective of them, but I'm beginning to worry she is gonna get so worn out and stressed she might lose it. What can I do to help calm her and get her to take a break?

Thanks in advance!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Welsh what? Welsh Springer Spaniel? Welsh Sheepdog? Welsh Corgi?
    I've bred a Welsh Sheepdog.
    You should be taking her food and water to her where the pups are, not making her go to the normal feeding place, and giving high quality puppy food. Mine wanted to go for a walk the day after giving birth, but changed her mind after about 5 minutes, just wanted to go home. But that's unusual for a new mother to want to go out - what your bitch is doing is normal. In a week or so she should be happier to be away from them for a break. Just let her do what is natural for her - but be sure to keep any other dogs away from the pups.

3. jeffeypop

Welsh Terrier. I brought the water bowl to her and have been bringing her dry food along with lots of meat like rotisserie chicken breast and the like. I guess I've just been reading too much stuff online and maybe I'm seeing scary stuff in normal behavior. She is petit and very athletic, so it was shocking that she got so huge and had six pups, I think the average for a welsh terrier is 3 or 4. She was very shaky and anxious yesterday but that calmed today. She never leaves the pups side but seems almost too doting now. Like they will be content and she starts aggressively cleaning them, or if they yelp she's quite rough with them. Been reading that calcium issues after whelping can lead to anxious/protective/disturbing behavior and even the mom eating the pups. I started giving her some calcium and feeding yogurt, I figure with 6 pups calcium certainly can't hurt even if I am being paranoid.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is perfectly normal for a nursing bitch to want to be with her pups constantly at this stage and you shouldn't interfere.

As time goes in, she will be happy to leave them for a time here and there. She will do that in her own time.

You need to make arrangements now to ensure she isn't mated at her next season.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

she sounds completely normal to me. You might need to put a lead on her and very quickly take her out to relieve herself but apart from that she should be left alone - and so should the pups. Why on earth would you play with a day old pup. I think you are going to be causing the bitch a lot of stress if you carry on like this.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Rafa like this.
  6. jeffeypop

I've tried to "take her on a lead" and as I said she got 5 steps out of my bedroom and ran back, she's literally not leaving, hence my apprehension. And when I say "play" I meant pick the pup up, check the sex, make sure everything is ok. Jesus Christ I'm not throwing a ball to them. And Blitz why on earth would you be so condescending, haughty, and downright unpleasant to a person whom you've just met who is simply a bit concerned and gathering feedback? You seem like a person I would NOT like to meet in person, nor should be chatting on forums intended to be helpful.

And no I don't plan to breed her next season, maybe never again we shall se how this goes. And, she is registered, well taken care of and 2 years old (this is her 4th season), this wasn't some spur of the moment thing. And as I said I assisted with my mother breeding pups throughout my life. But mom was always the confident sure person whos input was always helpful and I don't have her anymore, so pardon me for getting a bit nervous/neurotic the first time doing this on my own. We had a schnauzer bitch once who had a huge litter that was underdeveloped and she exhibited similar behaviors to this and all the pups died. So I think maybe I am thinking of that and just a bit weary.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

To be fair, you did say

Doesn't exactly suggest that a lot of thought went into breeding your bitch, and we can only go by the information that is given to us. There are a LOT of indiscriminate breeders that turn up on here so when a post starts in the way yours did, you might be able to understand why we get a bit frustrated.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There is really no need to be rude. Can only go by what you say. If you say you are picking the puppies up to play with them then I think you will find most people will take you at your word. If your bitch is on the lead she cant run back so the assumption is you did not have her on the lead. You obviously do not need any help.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The water should be there all the time - I hope that's what you mean. And it's important that she eats good quality puppy food, not her normal food. It contains balanced levels of the extra nutrients she needs to pass on to the pups; should have been eating it through the pregnancy.

10. charlie15

charlie15 PetForums Junior

I would carry her out to the garden to do her toilets. Then make sure you wipe her paws ( in case of infection) then let her back in to the puppies.
    I would feed her in the whelping pen, also get some proper calicum for dogs. All the online pet stores sell it.
    Then just stay in the same room as her , and just keep an eye.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice