Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First Kitten Bedtime

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Junaki, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Hello, I've just welcomed the newest member to my family yesterday, a 9 week old golden Chinchilla Persian who is gorgeous with a great personality and temperament.

I'm having one issue with her though... I can't leave her alone in the living room which is also the cat room with her cat tree, litter box, etc. (All distributed around the room) and she's using all of them with no problem) She cries when I leave her during the day and she definitely cries when I'm trying to sleep at night.

Should I be worried or is this normal for a new kitten? This is her second night and she cried all yesterday night (with a few breaks) and she is crying right now. How do I respond to this behaviour? I'm just ignoring her at the moment but I feel so guilty. I've provided her with a snuggle pad, a fan, multiple beds, pillows, blankets and am truely worried.

2. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Here are a few pictures of our cute little Princess.

IMG_1476.JPG image2.JPG image7.JPG IMG_1533.JPG

3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Poor little girl is much too young to be away from her mum and litter mates, kittens should stay with mum for at least 12 weeks, no reputable breeder would let a baby go at just 9 weeks :(

She needs loads of attention, not ignoring, she's feeling very lost and lonely.

buffie and Junaki like this.
  4. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

I've sat with her all day, playing with her, stroking her and she's been fine. I would let her upstairs but I'm afraid that I'd squash her by accident while moving in bed. I'm really hoping she settles down soon. The breeders do seem extremely reputable and are experienced. They have told me to contact them if I had problems but I thought I'd seek information from other people who may have experienced something similar.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Awwww, what a gorgeous little kitten, really adorable :) She looks younger than 9 weeks old though, more like 6 or 7 weeks old. Breeders of pedigrees usually home their kittens at 12 or 13 weeks old, as recommended by the GCCF. Any younger than 12 or 13 weeks is regarded as too young to leave mum.

This dear little mite is homesick for her mum and her siblings. Please, please don't leave her alone to cry all night! She needs companionship, mothering and reassurance, bless her.

If you have other cats the kitten should be kept separately from them at present anyway, and introduced gradually. Also kept separate for at least 2 weeks for quarantine reasons.

I would have this little kitty in your bedroom with you at night. Buy a cheap folding dog crate and set it up in your bedroom with her food, water, litter tray, cosy bed, toys and scratch post. Put it near your bed so she can smell your scent and feel reassured. If she wakes in the night speak gently to her so she knows you are near and she is safe. This will help build the bonds of trust.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-F...=1498975316&sr=8-1&keywords=folding+dog+crate

TodoMM, buffie and Junaki like this.
  6. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

You've certainly got a keen eye since she is around 6 or 7 weeks in the posted photos. I like the dog crate idea and I'll order a nice large one immediately.

chillminx and Bertie'sMum like this.
  7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

she's so beautiful, definitely a little Princess - I don't think I could bear to be away from her for a minute !

Junaki likes this.
  8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I can only repeat what @spotty cats and @chillminx have said about her age - she is far too young to have left and no reputable breeder in the UK would let her go at that age :( Is she registered with one of the governing bodies for cat breeding? You can see how young she is by the colour of eyes - kittens are born with blue eyes which in most breeds start to change colour around 6 to 8 weeks
    She will be lonely and missing her litter mates as well as her mum - at 9 weeks she would still have been suckling even though she may be eating well. As well as adopting @chillminx advice I would put a small teddy or similar toy with her to cuddle up to.
    She is a little sweetheart I will give you that but you may have bought yourself a lot of heartache too - she will not have been vaccinated yet and could have other underlying health issues - a Persian breeder (we have a couple on here) should be able to tell you what sort of health checks should have been done by her breeder.

buffie and Junaki like this.
  9. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

We have took her to the vet and they have said she's very healthy (breeders took her to the vet too but we wanted to be cautious as new slaves) She's going for her vaccinations on Monday and her parents are both GCCF registered.

I like the teddy idea and I'll definitely go out and buy one today.

#9 Junaki, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  10. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Also unrelated question, would it be wise to continue the PetPlan insurance she came with or would shopping around be more smart?

This is my first pet by the way, if that wasn't clear. :Happy:Cat

#10 Junaki, Jul 2, 2017
  11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Persians are a social breed and don't do well if left alone. My OH hates cats in our bed, and didn't believe me about this. I left him to teach the cats that the bed was a no go area, and he couldn't do it. They pined, they cried, they stuck to us like glue for the rest of the time. Mine go off their food if left without human company, if they know that there are humans in the house. For example, my guys are happy to settle when we go out to work, but if we're in and they cannot get to us, their distress levels shoot through the roof. I'm afraid you'll have to just sleep lightly for a few nights and let her join you in bed.

As to your breeder being good, they're not I'm afraid. Any cat, but moreso a Persian, should remain with mum until at least 12 weeks, preferably older. Persians are a slow maturing breed, and aren't psychologically ready to leave mum until this age, and sometimes older. I keep mine sometimes until they are 16 weeks old for this very reason, and did this with 2 of my last litter in fact. I have a good idea who your breeder might be, and I can promise you that if it's who I'm thinking of, reputable and ethical are two words which probably don't figure in their dictionary despite the front which has fooled many, many people.

moggie14 likes this.
  12. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

It's sad to hear that they're not as good as we assumed them to be but what's done is done and now we have a super social Persian kitty who needs attention. I have opened all interior doors today and she's happily roaming the house. I'll take your advice and allow her into my bedroom at night and see how it goes.

13. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

We also drove quite far to pick her up, 1 hour and 30 minutes. We paid £650 for her, she had silver bothers/sisters also reserved but for £600. Do the prices sound alright?

She is also exceptionally confident but only when people are around, she seems to get really upset when I leave the room.

They are loving breeders though since the cats have been brought up to be extremely friendly at such a young age. The breeders are from the North East so if you're referring to anyone near Oxford then you may be mistaken. ;)

#13 Junaki, Jul 2, 2017
  14. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Did the breeder say why they were homing the kitten at only 9 weeks? It is very unusual for reputable breeders to do that.

16. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

They said minimum 9 weeks but they would hold onto them as long as anyone would want. Me being quite oblivious to the rules about homing Persians, I wanted to take her in as soon as the breeder would let me. Two of her siblings are leaving today too. I wouldn't have got her so early if I knew it would make her upset. :(

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You might be interested to read the GCCF breeder's Code of Ethics :

https://www.gccfcats.org/Portals/0/BS_COE_booklet.pdf

GCCF says pedigree kittens should be fully vaccinated before being homed, and as the first vaccination is done at 9 weeks, and the second around 12 weeks. this means the kitten can't be homed until after 12 weeks. This applies to all pedigree kittens, not just Persian kittens.

QUOTE/ (from GGCF website as above) Regarding the sale and placement of kittens

(the breeder is) to ensure kittens leave for their new homes fully vaccinated, insured and appropriately treated for parasites, vet health checked and to the best of (the breeder's) knowledge in good health./QUOTE

Has the breeder given you details of which health checks were carried out as your kitten is a Persian? e.g. a test for PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease) is essential.

18. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Yes, they explicitly mentioned that the parents and kittens are PKD negative and have been checked for the horrible illness. The kittens aren't registered but the parents are BUT we did receive a certificate showing her bloodlines/family tree.

chillminx likes this.
  19. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I'm actually thinking of a breeder up north, so suspect I'm thinking about the same ones.

Did you see proof that parents were PKD free, or did you just accept their word for it?

The prices are Ok. A little on the high side but not excessively so. I've seen others go for that price.

20. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Unregistered at nine weeks of age? Wow!

spotty cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice