Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First heatwave with Colin - help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Wyndham, May 23, 2010.

1. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice, had a read through the heat stroke thread on here but just wanted to ask if what im doing is ok?

So, ive been away for the last 4 days and Daddy has taken over full time daddy duty! Came bck and he seems fine but the heat is really getting to him is this normal?

He is lethargic, cant get comfortable ( moving from floor to sofa, to floor etc etc), he is drinking normally, nothing extra, his breathing isnt heavy compared to normal but he is just a bit "uncomfortable" if that makes sense?

We bought a fan today so thats blowing around the lounge cooling us down , but at night its boiling in our room so we move it up their - will colin be ok in the kitchen even if the temp is up a bit? he always has water and i tend to leave the door open until i go to bed at 11 ish.

Im just worried im missing something?

So any general advice on coping in such extreame heat, any tips on what i can do to keep him cool?

I did freeze a bone for fkim and gave him that this morning which seemed to work, might do something interesting with ice for tomorrow - any ideas?

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Somedogs seen to cope better than others, try putting down a wet towel for him the lay on if he wont just drape it over him, keep wetting it with cold water and wrigging it back out again. I remember getting some type of rock ive forgotten the name that sits in the bottom of the water bowl, put something into the water that cools the blood down, sorry ime vague on this its a few years since i used it.

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We have 3 water bowls for Holly (one in her crate), so we freeze the other two overnight, then in the morning take one out, and melt it a little, and that cools her down, then when she has finished that one, we take the other one out of the freezer, and put the one she finished back in the freezer. She's finding that very cooling. Also, going out into the garden and putting the sprinkler on, and playing in the water seems to keep her cool, as she won't go swimming.

4. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

Thanks guys, he seems to avoid water, sprinkers etc but i ve just done the towl thing and although he didnt want to do it, once he was under the towel he calmed down and just liked it , that is a good tip.

Has anyone got a doggy swimming pool? are they good? Dunno if he would ever go in it? maybe the sprinkler is better?

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

We have one of those shell paddling pools and fill it with water, the only place a dog sweats is its feet so keeping these wet will keep him cool.

6. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

tanya, where did u get that from? been looking for one of those shell shaped ones?

7. haeveymolly

Glad the towel worked, it cools the body down gently so takes longer to get the body temp back up, we used this method as 1 of my dogs couldnt take the shock of being hosed and we found this good.

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

#8 Tanya1989, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  9. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

he's asleep in front of the fan! lol just noticed his eyes are a little red, the white bits? is this ok?

10. haeveymolly

Yes he's fine ime sure just too hot and exhausted, do try to get him to lay on the wet towel if you can as he will cool down quicker and feel more benefit through his underside.

11. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Sorry haven't read it all...

I have hosed my lot down and that has cooled them down nicely. They also like to play with ice cubes and have their kongs frozen - doggy ice lollies.

p.s did you get the name Colin from the TV program 'Spaced'?

12. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

hey,

Colin has always been our dog name, not heard of spaced?

Could i ask - i know this may sound like a stupid question but id better check....

When i get too hot, ill go into shade and have a drink n sit in front of a fan..... do dogs do this? my OH says that if he is too hot or having heat stroke he would "remove" hmself from the heat and have a drink if one is avaliable. i kinda think i should ensure he has a break and is covered in cool towles etc to help ensure he does cool down, put him into his crate for periods of time etc.
    Like now he has taken himself back outside i feel asif i should be out there hosing him down but OH thinks if he needs it he will come inside?

Who's right? lol

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I find they'll move away from the heat source when hot but I don't let mine out in this type of weather for long, only to empty then they come back in until next wee time. As mine always run around when outside no matter what the weather.

14. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I have the apple shaped sandpit/paddling pool, Bailey has been in it every day for the past few days, absolutely loves it.

15. haeveymolly

I wouldnt trust mine to be so sensible:D dogs have different tolerances i know mine would engure so much before eventually "having" to give in, this is through experiences before so i know they would give in when i could be too late.

16. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Bless him. Bella is the opposite she would sun bathe all day if I let her. I let her out for about 10 mins to lay in the sun and then call her in for an hour and keep doing this. Ive also put the parasol up for the rabbit and she lays on the cold patio in that shade.

I love the idea about a paddling pool. I will order one of those for her too as we dont have a hose. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice