Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first dog choice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by muffinpup, May 16, 2010.

1. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Hi everyone
    I am looking to get our family our first dog, I have been researching all different breeds on the internet and have completed countless breed selector tests to get an idea of a suitable breed.
    I'm getting very confused now - for example I have read that beagles are difficult to train and don't like to be left alone too long, yet when I said that our dog would need to be left alone for a few hours a day, and as we have no dog experience, our training abilities will be lmited, yet beagle came up as a good choice??
    Also I have said we did not want to spend a huge amount of time grooming but all sorts of really long haired varieties came up as good choices??
    I have given up now with these quizes, it was only for a guide anyway.
    Basically, we have 2 children aged 3 and 12, we would need to leave the dog for about 6 hours 4 days a week (someone will be home for an hour inbetween, so I suppose 3 hrs is the maximum with no human contact)
    We have 2 cats. We can provide 1 to 2 walks a day, probobly longer at weekends.
    Ideally I would like a small dog, but not toy as it may be too small for kids.
    Does anyone have any ideas of good choices - at least then I can concentrate my research on specific breeds.
    Also once I have made my choice and try to find a good breeder, what questions will I need to ask and what should I expect them to ask me?
    Thanks very much.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I would recommend Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as a first choice with kids. They are a good size without being too big, they are fantastic with kids and other animals and are very easy to train. You can either clip their coats short if you don't want to do any grooming, or you can style it regularly (scissoring and shaping the coat). The coat isn't too hard to manage, just a few minutes brushing every couple of days should prevent any matts. Cavaliers are very people dogs though so may have trouble leaving him/her, but if you get the pup used to being left alone at a young age, you shouldn't have a problem. They can have as many or as little walks as you give them. They'll go on hikes with you or they will be equally happy with a short stroll too. :) Perfect little dogs!!

I would recommend finding a breeder who health tested their dogs fully, MRI scanned, heart checked, eyes checked, hips checked. They can have a whole loads of health issues, but as long as you find a breeder who does all the health tests, then they are one of the best dogs breeds you can ever own.

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I agree with Seven Pets, I had a Cavalier King Charles a few years ago, they do make wonderfull pets, so loving too. My daughters Cav is now living across the road with my brother in law and settled into her new home with them the very first day of being there, she loves his kids and loves the walks she gets with them. They love her to bits.
    I have a Shih Tzu who is as soppy as anything, it is how they are brought up from being puppies that makes them the adult dogs they become. Suki is 9 years old now and she is a wonderfull dog, she gets properly groomed twice a year, sometimes they need it 3 times a year, I brush her now and again (she dont like having her back end brushed so I have to be sneeky to do that part). They do moult but not alot, not like Jack Russels or Boxers etc.
    Also Bicheons are a good pet for a family too, non moulting and great for allergies in the household, they do need grooming 2 or 3 times per year, but they are lovely dogs.

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

We had 4 CKC's when we were growing up. Lovely little dogs, happy to laze on your lap all day. Ours were left for 3-4 hours with no contact even when we only had the one. Very loving and gentle, and as you say happy with whatever exercise you can give them :)

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Mini schnauzer good with kids, don't take much grooming and sturdy enough to take kids

6. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies, I must admit, I hadn't thought of King Charles Cavalier's but it has come up several times when I have searched dogs good with children on the internet.
    I do love shnauzer's too, I'll have a look into those 2 breeds then, they both look the perfect size, and from the experiences you have had with them they sound perfect.
    Thanks again!

7. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

i know of a 2yr old jack russell thats just come up for homing,brought up with kids,neutered,hes in stockport,cheshire,cracking little dog,full of fun :)

8. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

If you do get a CKCS, make sure you get it from health tested parents. There's a litter due to be born, posted on here, so you can see what they look like as pups etc.

I have pics of my CKCS, from the age of 2 weeks, to now 7 months, on my profile. We only trim between her toes, never anywhere else :) She has about 10 mins of grooming a day, with about an hour on a Sunday.

#8 kaisa624, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

just wanted to say, dont rule out going to a rescue centre, such as the dogs trust. they have dogs of all ages and breeds. including puppies occasionally.

:)

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My friend has a mini shnauzer called Sid and he is fab with her children, they are 4 and 6. He is lovely not demanding, she leaves him for 4 hours am and 3 hours pm and he is fine, the only thing my friend complains about with him is the barking, he is very vocal when people visit, not sure if it is a breed thing or just him??

My brother and his wife have a CKC spaniel, he is 13weeks old and loves everyone, they have 2 children aged 13 and 18. He loves other dogs and is very sociable.

So i would recommend either.

On the grooming front CKCS need a bit of a trim every now and then to keep the feet tidy and the ears hair free. Shnauzers have to be stripped or clipped at regular intervals.

Look forward to following your progress in making a desicion! X X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice