Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first dog acting up after getting my second dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lee smithurst, Dec 26, 2018.

1. lee smithurst

lee smithurst PetForums Newbie

I have 2 staffys ages 6(girl) and 3(boy). I got the 3 year old about 4weeks ago and at first all was okay, no jealousy shown, I couldn't of asked for It to of gone any better; but for the last week my first dog has been barking a lot more than usual, and for the first time today barked at another dog on our walk, when usually she is good as gold and doesn't show much interest in other dogs...

along side this she has been licking/biting and scratching her paws and belly, she has always suffered with what I thought was seasonal allergys, but now im beginning to think it has just been stress all along, as it just so happens at this time of year for the past 3 years, weve gone through some big changes, with moving houses, and now a new dog!

so really im looking for your opinions on her paws and also her new behaviour issues..

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

She could have taken it upon herself to be protecting your new and younger dog.

With regards to her itching it sounds more like a seasonal allergy problem if it only happens at this time of year. Have you ever tried a protective body suit when she goes out for a walk, or even in your garden, to see if it makes a difference?

Torin. and lee smithurst like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

It could well be stress , even though they get on well , its a massive change for her and stress will show in other situations .

4. lee smithurst

thats a very good point, i hadnt really thought of, she is a very protective dog, and also had pups in her past.. so maybe its a maternal thing??

and not used a body suit; but i always wipe her down and wash her paws after every walk

5. lee smithurst

i think stress has a massive part init, but i do think something else agitates her at this time of year

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice