Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First day

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springerpete, Nov 2, 2012.

1. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I mentioned in my earlier post that Skye would be going out on his first day as a 'Beating' dog on the 22nd.
    Let me try and give you a taste of how it might be.
    First thing nothing will be different for the little chap, six thirty he'll have his toileting walk with Flyte and then back home for breakfast, this is where it gets a little different, his breakfast will be more substantial than normal, but he wont consider that, he has a good appetite and will eat whatever is put in his bowl.
    He wont be too bothered about getting in the car without Flyte, I often take them out for training sessions on their own so he'll not see anything odd about this. He will however begin to wonder what's afoot when we get to the gamekeepers cottage and he jumps out of the car to be met by, perhaps fifteen spaniels all of whom, because it's the first day of the season for them also, will be pretty wound up themselves. They know what's ahead and will, each and every one of them, be raring to go.
    He'll be confused, and he wont have his pal with him to give him support. He's going to get sniffed and examined, and if he tries to be playful, probably growled at, some of the older dogs dont suffer fools gladly. They know what they're here for and just want to get on with the job. He'll likely cringe a bit, hide behind my legs, may even try to jump back in the car. I expect all of this, I've seen it with many youngsters over the years, he's going to be anxious at getting in the back of the landrover that's used to transport a lot of the dogs, ( I'll get in with him for the first few trips, nothing like sharing a confined space with a bunch of hyper spanners.) and by the time we get to wherever the first drive is going to take place, he'll be wound up like a spring.
    If, however, he responds like all of my other dogs have done, once we're ready to begin the first drive, all lined up and waiting for the 'keeper to let us know it's o.k to start, as soon as I give him the command to ''Push on'' the springer will take over, his drive to hunt will kick in, and he'll do what I expect him to do, and that's flush game. For sure, he's going to need watching, all young 'uns have a tendancy to get too far in front of the line, so I expect to be using the stop whistle quite a lot for the first couple of shoots but I'm sure that very soon he'll learn to pace himself, keep in line with the other dogs, and become every bit as good a dog as his predecessor, Bracken.
    I hope this may give you an little insight into my feelings with regard to taking out a young lad for his very first shoot.

2. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

Thank you for that, not something you would normally think about unless you were involved with it, nice to get some insight into something new.:)

Will you be nervous for him?

PS, Im not blubbering at this post!!!:eek:

3. springerpete

Yes, I shall be a little nervous, not that anyone will judge him, if any judgements are made they will be against me and how well I've brought him on.

4. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

I expect you are looking forward to it with a mixture of anticipation and a little anxiety. But from reading your posts and seeing your dedication to your boys I have a feeling you will be a proud man at the end of the day.
    I bet he will do well. I don't think you will need me wishing you good luck but I will

5. springerpete

Cheers. I suppose that it's a little foolish to think that the achievements of a young springer and a young retreiver should be of such concern to anyone when so many people have far more important things to worry about. It really is quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

6. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Not to you it is not. It is of great importance to you, you have no control over other peoples worries.. You seem to be a man of great sensitivity, that I can admire. Enjoy your achievements with your lovely boys.

7. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

But its important to you Pete and it will be important to people on here that follow the stories of Flyte and Skye.
    I wish both you and Skye the best of luck and can't wait to hear the stories of how it goes.

8. springerpete

Why thank you. That's such a nice thing to say and I really appreciate it.

9. chichi

chichi Banned

Im sure your lad will make you proud SP:D

As always......really interesting and enjoyable reading......look forward to Chapter 2. .....if you update on how the day goes.......:001_smile:

10. springerpete

What a nice thing to say, thank you. It's always been a little bit of a concern to me that, as you know, my lads are 'Working dogs' and I'm fully aware that this doesn't sit too well with everyone. But it's what they do, it's what I do. I make no apologies for it and if a few members gain an insight into our world then I'm happy to share it with you.

11. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

Really really can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm sure with all the dedication you put into training he will make you proud.

Love hearing our friend talk about the shoots he's been on and how his dogs have performed .

12. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Don't actually agree with that. I think the good part of life consists of "the little things". Big things, like Hurricane Sandy or a war are so overwhelming that they change people, in a bad way; people are hurt, frightened, traumatised. Even when they do heroic and magnificent things they are generally hurt, too. I notice our most recent VC has left the army.

The other side of life is the little stuff; my neighbour's sweet-peas are flowering by our chook house, Skye is going to bash through bushes and have the time of his life, he's going to learn about and relish his job. Sweet-peas are delicate, beautiful, scented and evocative of my childhood. The thought of Skye, a happy, determined ball of muscle and silk fulfilling his drive and instincts pleases me too. It's all one really and it's the antidote for the "big stuff".

I think I need a cup of coffee and a nice lie down.........far too philosophical for my small mind. I'll overheat.......

13. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Your dogs were bred to work, were meant to work and would not be the happy, joyful looking dogs if they did not. I would love to see them doing what they are made for if I lived closer.
    My little old lady is not a working dog but when younger she loved to run, do agility and anything that needed her to think. She would not have been have happy just being a lap dog any more than yours would have. Now, at 16 she is slower but still needs her stimulation to keep her happy

14. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Had never thought about first rites on a shoot for a young dog. You obviously give them all the help and encouragement you can. Hope all will be as you hope and thanks for taking the time to explain your world. Look forward to more tales.

15. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i can't wait to read how his first shoot went. i keep watching out my bedroom window when i see the local beaters out in the fields opposite me. i find it so fascinating seeing the dogs at work :)

16. springerpete

What an astute reply Ozrex. Of course you are right, it is the little things that make life what it is, it's a shame that we sometimes have to remind ourselves of this. Am example might be, yesterday whilst out on the dunes with the lads, young Skye was showing a lot of interest in a patch of brambles. Thinking it was probably just a rabbit I called him off. for the first time in his short life he decided to ignore me and pushed on into the brambles. Imagine my suprise, and delight, when the little chap lifted a woodcock from a place that I really didn't expect to see one. Just a small thing, but one that taught me, once again, to trust my dogs instinct.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice