Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First day training with Thundershirts

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pupcakes, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share my afternoon walks with you whilst walking D&C in their new Thundershirts. I bought them yesterday morning (I was told 2 smalls were reserved for me, but arrived to find only 1 small and got D a medium which fitted the chunky beast luckily!)

I put them on them for a quick pavement walk each last night joined up with some CT. Tbh, I didnt see any MAJOR differences in them (wasnt sure what to expect tbh!) but D didnt bark at 2 men walking past us, may have been distracted by a smell but did bark at a rocking horse after sniffing his bum like another dogs! (LOL! :lol:) and a man who quickly walked up behind us.

I was also very stressed so not the best of walks.

Anyhow, after work today, took them both out for an hour each and put their TSs on. My friend was walking her Mastiff X with a few children and I kept C leaded for the mean time as when he gets over excited around kids , he can jump and sometimes nip.

He was very good around them once the initial excitement had gone (kids screaming his name etc) and when it was safe to I let him off and he ran around with his mate and was very good with the children. Leaded him up as 2 people were walking around with their cat (?!?!) and took him with one of the children to our local quarry where not many dogs walk.

I looked up and in the quarry to see if it was safe to let him off, but 2 young guys let their dog run up the road and straight into the park 100metres ahead of them (funny enough, that dog is my friends with the Mastiff x dog puppy who is about 40kgs and Charlie is good friends with all the other pups) Charlie saw the dog, went tense down the line, but I said "Come on! lets go!" and trotted him along a bit, then clicked and treated for calm behaviour and for looking and being calm, even sitting!

When it was safe and just us, I let him off and told my little friend to run up to the tree and back, with Charlie on a loose lead, he watched her run all the way along and watched her run back, all the time he looked and stayed calm he got a click and treat, I could see him thinking "Mmmmmh...." but his focus was soon on a treat after the click. At one point he went to run after her but as soon as I called his name, he turned on his heels, got clicked and treated and remained calm for the rest.

Also got clicked and treated for seeing a (very fat) Daschund dog and did very well.

I then got Dottie ready and told my little friend to take Dotties new, squeaky toy and wait for me in front of my house in the field, about 50 metres away by the tree so Dottie wouldnt be scared of seeing her straight away. When I gave the signal, she was to call Dotties name and start squeaking the toy. So as I came out I gave her the thumbs up and Dottie pulled like the clappers to see my friend and got her toy. I picked it up and let my friend chuck it for Dottie a few times, making her sit for it too all went really well.

We walked around together for a while before my friend had to go in (taking a Hello Kitty toy from me for helping me train the dogs! lol) and I took D to the bottom field and let her off for a while (as its safe to down there) and played "Find it" with her with a fox toy in the long grass, making her wait whilst I hid it and find it after. Sometimes the excitement was too much and she ran off to find it before I could walk back to release her! We didnt play fetch, just some brain training and me trying to help her fufil her breed.

It's getting dark and we're heading home, all leaded up when we see one of her good friends, a GSD bitch. Said dog, stalks then lays down low and D pulls me like a train to go and greet her, they go mental tails wagging then they go their separate ways. Then D pulls me towards her friend again, so I go down to the field with D and out of no where, her friend goes to attack her!

A lot of teeth and handbags, but no damage done. Said dogs owner told me there was mushrooms down there and that her dog was guarding them, I was a bit shook up but didnt want to ruin a good walk, so I clicked and treated D (whilst other dog wasnt looking) and her tail was wagging and I brushed it off saying "Where's 'dogs name'? Where is she?" and let her go back sniff each others bums and all was okay then.

Dottie did try and roll in poo in her coat, but nothing too bad.

Obviously need to give them time and I dont know if they are calming or not, but time will tell using them along side CT.

They look very smart and fit very nicely. Dottie is scared of the velcro undoing though, quite noisy. Charlie doesnt seem to mind his but Dottie did try and rub hers off at first. Didnt see any "instant" calmness as the website says, but I suppose different dogs re-act differently. Will keep using them on walks and see how they go!

Anyhow, just thought I'd give you my first experience with them.

How did/does everyone else find them on their dogs?

xxx

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Right first I'm sorry if I missed something i'm tired :lol:

Did you put them on at home in a nice calm environment before anything else, no good putting 'em on without that nice effect first.

Are you strapping it as tight as it can go around? it must be a very snug fit and not just what fits :wink: I have to tuck my hands and flatten it down to get it quite snug :lol: mind you Maya has a fair bit of fur :rolleyes: :001_tongue:

Either way I do find they can be instant with somethings and others not :)

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Well..mavis was very calm in hers...dunno...
    i was hoping to try her out at the vets with it..but she managed to break her dew claw off herself :eek: but i will give it a big thumbs up as she had a waggy tail ..something she never does...and she never tried to pull us away from house's where she has been afraid of walking past for a few yaer:eek:..so a big thumbsup from me, so far :D

4. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

I've been pondering about getting one for Donnie he gets very nervy when cars drive by us too fast which sadly happens a lot round here the speed limit is 20 but most cars still do about 50mph, I've tried chatting to him, distracting him etc... Its worked on most minor roads but the main road through out estate is his biggest fear. So if you guys can give info about why your using them, what the effects were and if they're worth the money that would be great. :eek:

5. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Lol! Sorry SH, I have a feeling I've been rambling on and not really making any sense, as usual!

I put them on them first in our front room after they had a morning walk (a few hours later) and it was a relaxed mood. I dont know if the effect was nice enough now you mention it...Mmmmh....maybe one at a time in a quiet room?

How did you do it with Maya? I have it on very tight, but I get worried its too tight, but Charlie looks like a little muscle man with his on!

xxx

Aaaaw! Glad to hear its going well! How was Mavis when you first put it on her? Was it an instant kind of calm or did it build up?

xxx

Hey Mophie :)

I'm using mine on my 2 because Dottie is dog reactive, nervous/un-confident around new people, dogs, children, the usual. Shes so highly tuned, anything can set her off barking and stress her out. Her first owner wasnt very nice and kept her in a crate on her own in a garden :mad: so poor social skills, but she can act like a puppy in the right company!

Charlie - Was fine as a puppy but as he got older he "suddenly" started going for unknown dogs where as before I could let him off the lead and he would play with ANY dog around, now he barks, snarls, growls, re-acts and can start a fight, so its just to re-gain his confidence too :)

Mine cost £36.50 each from my local dogs home.

I'll keep you updated on how they go with my 2.

xxx

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

it was pretty instant with Mavis ...she climbed on the sofa...and Zzzzzzzz

then we had to drag her of it to go for a walk..but yeah ...she was the best she has been for a long time......i am actually so bleeding chuffed with the first use !!!

do you need to use them all the time or do you build up to never needing to use them?

Amazon is cheaper xx

7. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

Hmmm I might have to look into one - his winter or freezing cold weather coat seems to help a little.

8. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

I bought one today for Skye in the hope it might help her with travelling in the car primarily .... and I may use it to help with walking , hopefully will stop her jumping around quite so much ........ however ... I put it on her for the first time in the living room when family about and everything nice and calm ..... and she tried to chew it off :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ....... will try again tomorrow !!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice