Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First day of my new life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gilly and Jess, May 3, 2011.

1. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

As you'll be aware, I made drastic changes to my life a couple of weeks ago, got rid of some chaff that I didn't need shall we say! I've spent a couple of weeks down in the doldrums, trying to claw my way back again and resolved I'd find the old me again!

SO! Today is the first day of that new me. I've just been to an induction for a voluntary work placement scheme. This will enable me to gain valuable work experience (I've been out of work for 13 years through a spinal injury and surgeries) and will assist me in searching the job market and CV construction.

I go back thursday for said CV construction and should hear in the next 24 hours of which delightful company is prepared to take me on for 16 hours a week for 13 weeks in order to provide me with some experience to slap on said CV.

It'll either be a newspaper printing place, which prints and delivers a free local newspaper in my area, or the local Ford dealers.

Fingers crossed!

westie~ma likes this.
  2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Best of luck to you, hope your new life is everything you want it to be :D

3. rona

rona Guest

Good for you, hope it all goes well. :thumbup:

4. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Good luck- hope it works out well for you :001_smile:

5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

oh wow, good luck! sounds exciting :D

6. Gilly and Jess

Thank you! I'm right looking forward to it. It's a great way to see if I can actually manage working with a bad back, and also whether I can juggle it all with having the kids now. Sounds a ridiculous thing to say but I only had one child when I worked last, and I worked evenings and had a family baby sitter, so this will be new for the kids as well as me.

We've agreed between us that the kids will muck in and help me around the house in order that I can take part in this scheme, and it means £15 a week extra on my benefit in the meantime whilst I dip my toe in the water.

7. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

good luck hon, knock em dead :D x

8. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Good luck hun , it takes a lot of guts to go it alone (i'm guessing thats whats happened :eek:) Whishing you all the best x

9. Gilly and Jess

You guess right sugar. It's not the first time I've been on my own, spent most of the last 10 years as a single mum, only the last 18 months where I got used to having another body around the place. But.....it wasn't to be, I was turning into a doormat again!

Not no more! onwards and upwards! :D

10. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Go get 'em. Grab the world by the ******* and shake til you get the life you want. Good luck. :thumbsup:

11. Leena

Leena PetForums Member

I'd say you have the attitude to make it :) The best of luck to you!

I posted this and the next minute found this great quote, so I'll edit a bit:

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins!"
    ~Bob Moawad.

Leena :)

#11 Leena, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. Gilly and Jess

Ohhhhh!! That's fantastic that is, I'm slapping that on my facebook status right now!! that proper hits the spot that does!! thanks for that. :D

13. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Wishing you all the best xxx

14. Gilly and Jess

Well there's one of the possibilities down the pan before I even get off the ground........the free local paper has suspended printing due to "unforeseen circumstances" so that one's not available. Here's hoping the Ford dealer one is still there.............spend the day waiting around.....:rolleyes:

15. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

That's great news and I hope you enjoy it - if you are given the option I would go for the Ford Dealership - experience in that field will give you the most transferrable skills and open up more doors for you - if you know what I mean. :)

Larger workforce - move around departments picking up new skills whilst deciding where you best fit in

Networking with other sites/contacts

Possibility of relocating within the company to another site

Targets - bonus? etc etc

16. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Upwards and onwards, good luck to you and hope it all works out for you. xxx

17. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

good luck and well done ... no going back now xx :D

18. Gilly and Jess

Yes, that would be the optimistic bit of it. I'd be on the admin/finance side more at the moment, that's where my previous occupations and recent college courses have taken me. BUT, it would open doors I guess to bigger and better things. A little more interesting too perhaps, who knows? We shall see.........play the waiting game today, it may well be tomorrow now before I find out, I go back for CV construction tomorrow, and there are another couple of possibilities available apparently. Watch this space....:)

19. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thats fab :thumbup:
    wishing you the very best :)

20. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Always look on the bright side and remain positive - it shows and employers pick up on that. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice