Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first day at home and not eating

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by maui, Nov 10, 2012.

1. maui

maui PetForums Junior

got two bengal kittens home today. i am a bit concerned that they have not touched the food or water.
    is it due to the stress and 2 hrs road journey from the breeder?
    they are from the different litters, 13 weeks and hissing at each other. how long will it take them to get along?

2. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Is there any way you can keep them separate at first? I think intros are usually better if done over a few days. Though I have never had 2 kittens. Make sure everything is quiet and calm for them. Make sure they have access to food, water and litter tray. I know there are much more experienced people than me on the forum. I am sure you will get more advice. :)

3. maui

maui PetForums Junior

the breeder advised them to put them in one room. they were cuddling in a carrier while transported in the car.
    put them in the separate room with beds, litter trays, food and water.
    i hope they will have a good night sleep and tomorrow will be better

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

its normal for them to be off food until they settle, just keep an eye on them they will be fine.;)

5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

With kittens, they don't tend to hiss at each other for very long - they'll probably be alot better by this time tomorrow! :)

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You say they are from different litters but are from the same breeder.Were they "together" and used to each other with the breeder,if not then you will have to do slow intro's .If they are not used to each other then I would put them in different rooms with litter tray/food bed ect and follow the intro guide as though they were total strangers .........
    http://messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm
    .Kittens dont get on much better than older cats if they have never met before.

The change of home/journey ect will have upset them,so it will all take time to settle down.

#6 buffie, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice