Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

first dawg, advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hairygrandad, May 30, 2010.

1. hairygrandad

hairygrandad PetForums Newbie

alright

im looking to buy my first dog but not sure what i want, ideally looking for something that i can run with, that will guard my house and be capable of defending me if needs be, short haired, needs to have a good temperament to people it knows and ideally be suspicious of strangers. Ultimately a friend.

I want a large dog and so i am prepared to excersize it daily and take care of its needs. It will be living in a 4 bedroom house with me and 3 of my friends. I have lived with large dogs before and know how to assert my dominance over them

baring all this in mind, which breed fits the bill?

cheers

sam

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Your asking alot lol What about a loving companion??? That will eventually do all these things if loved back equally and sees you as a good friend :)

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello.

For a first dog and the requirements you are looking for in that dog, you are going to have your work cut out!!

Maybe speak to a local rescue..explain to them what you are looking for and your lifestyle and i'm sure they can match you up with something.

Maybe a breed like a German Shepherd....Collie...Doberman.

Is this your first EVER dog?

As I would seriously recommend getting something easy, as with lack of experience your potential dog could turn into something you don't want.

Maybe seek a trainer aswell, to guide you xx

4. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

There are loads of greyhounds in need of a loving homes, maybe not a guard dog!, but they are easy, couch potatos, and are happy with 2 x 20 minute walks a day!! xxx

5. hairygrandad

sorry just wanted to make sure i covered all the bases

i quite like the look of dobermans, are they unruly or hard to control in general? i had a friend who's doberman would wait by the gate untill someone went through and then bolt out and elude capture for hours!

6. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Have you ever owned a dog before?

Dobermans can be very obedient but also strong and will need experienced hands really.

Would you not settle for something easy to give you the experience?

xx

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Definately speak to your local rescue, there are loads of dogs all shapes and sizes needing homes, but the fact this is possibly your first dog rescues are unlikely to rehome a dog of that type of nature to you x

8. hairygrandad

i havent personally owned a dog, but i lived in the same house as a large black lab for 3 years, im fairly strong so i think i could handle most medium-large dogs.

it doesnt have to be a doberman, you guys probably know alot more about it than me. Any other breeds you might suggest

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

It's not about being strong and being able to "handle" a dog, its about knowing the dog, and knowing how to deal with certain situations, controlling the dog, being able to look after the dog, and training the dog.

Perhaps a labrador.

They are good with people, big, friendly and fun loving.

I still think the rescue!! xxx

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Labradors are good running companions & also will usually bark when there's someone at the door. All the large guarding breeds such as Dobes, Rotts etc can be a bit challenging for a new owner with minimal dog experience & its not a good idea to encourage the dog to be suspicious of people it doesn't know as this can cause no end of problems for it in the future
    Have you considered adopting a rescue dog? There are loads of dogs that would be suitable waiting for a loving home:)

11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

hehe! Snap!

12. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

A Boxer?? my cousin has one hes great!! takes as much exercise as they give him but is equally happy snuggling on sofa with her kids!!

13. hairygrandad

a rescue dog would be great, the only problem is though, how do i know it hasnt had a bad past that will cause it to become aggresive towards people or other animals

14. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Whatever breed you decide on, seek out and read some decent, up to date training articles.

You make a lot of mention of being "strong" and "able to assert yourself" over a dog. That's not what it's all about, really.

15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

A lot of rescues assess the dogs they rehome for suitability such as are they child friendly, cat friendly etc, there are also breed specifc rescues if there is a particular breed you're interested in. Also a lot of rescue dogs come from good homes, where the dog is loved & well cared for as well as bad, if the owner becomes ill or their circumstances change so they can no longer look after their dog they hand them in to a rescue to find them a good home:)

16. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Probably not a good idea if this is your first dog but what you are looking for sounds like pyrenean mountain dog... but and this is a big but... they moult and need a brush over quite regular, forget wearing black or dark clothes cos they won't stay black for long with a pyr in the house :p

They are a natural guard and will defend it's owner without training yet are loyal and loving, easy to train, get on great with small children and smaller dogs. Typically they will not provoke a fight with any dog, their instinct is to protect. They are a giant breed and can grow upto 34 inches at the shoulder.

One big drawback is that while they may be quiet as pups, as they mature they will learn to warn you of things like planes flying overhead, a bee stealing pollen from your flowers or even a gnat farting :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'd say boxer would be a good choice big some people think they're tough which might work as a guard dog, friendly and love people. So high energy they'd make good running companions when old enough. But dogs don't need to be dominated that kind of training turns a dog into a mess

I wouldn't get a pyrenean mountain dog as your first dog they need more experienced owners great dogs though

18. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I would certainly go for a labrador or a retriever (but you wanted short haired)for a first time dog, they will look out for you out of love and loyalty, a dog should be a companion first and naturally guard you because they want to not because 'it is in the breed' really!

I think it would be unfair to get a large difficult breed such as a gsd, doberman or rottie as a first time dog as they can all be quite hard work and challenging. You talk about asserting your dominance, that is a little 'old school' to be honest! If you bring up a dog well and train with reward based methods you will get great results and you won't need to 'dominate' him/her!

19. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

It depends on how much effort you put into training but Ridegebacks are great companions, very affectionate and loyal. They don't bark much but when they do you should take notice.

They are good running partners. They don't need masses of exercise but will keep going for as long as you want.

They love people they know but can be aloof with strangers (not that our puppy has displayed that yet).

They have short hair and are large.

It's not about being asserting dominance, I'm the most undominant person I know :D but they do need rules and boundries from the start. They were bred to be independant hunters and are very intelligent, so you need to be one step ahead all the time, otherwise they make up their own rules :eek:

20. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Can I ask why you want a dog that is wary of strangers? You sound as though you want a guard dog rather than a family pet; would you say this is correct?

I also recommend a lab, they are good pets and a nice intro to dog ownership. I also recommend you find good training classes and read some books on modern methods - dominance is likely to cause problems not solve them.

I apologise if I've misread your post, but it just sounded like you want a status symbol rather a companion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice