Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First car ride...how to handle it?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amelia M Richards, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Amelia M Richards

So Roxy is 17 months old and has never been in a car before...like ever..I take her on public transport when I need to and shes not a fan and gets quite agitated.
    Tomorrow I'm taking her on a two hour car ride to my parents new house for Christmas and I'm dreading it! I've got her an airplane style crate and am planning on putting her in with her blanket ..I've also got a pet remedy wipe thing that's supposed to calm her down (got it free with her flea stuff one month and Ive been saving it!). I've also mixed her food with a bit of rice today (naughty I know but shes so prone to stomach upsets so I'm trying to prevent that) ..any tips on what to expect or how to ease her stress?
    She also hates being locked in anywhere so it's not going to be fun for her..we will stop halfway but I'm worried if I let her out she will refuse to get back in!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Can you sit next to her in if she is in the back in her crate. Can you do a little drive today to prepare her ?

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Is it your car? would she better in a safety harness on the back seat ?

4. Amelia M Richards

It's my dads car, I dont drive and we will also be travelling with my two young children, grandmother and all our luggage and presents for xmas...really not looking forward to it!
    If it was down to me I'd had her next to me on the seat in a harness but no room and my dads a total clean freak so probably would be happy with that, even if I got a seat cover!
    I'm really widing myself up about it to be honest, worried she will be sick in her carrier etc ..she stops eating when shes stressed aswell and then sicks up bile for days as it irritates her empty stomach..my Roxy is harder work than my kids alot of the time :Facepalm lucky I love her..just worried about her tomorrow.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

She might surprise you will the crate be in the boot ? I would sit in the back and talk to her if she gets worried. Maybe plan some extra stops. How long are you staying for ? Does she need to do the journey twice ? Maybe chat to your vet about it.

Amelia M Richards likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I take it she is well used to the crate otherwise it is less likely to work. I would just stop worrying and get on with it or you will wind her up. Give her some toys and a chew and put her in confidently, give a quick stroke and then make sure she knows where you are. If she makes a dreadful fuss it will be a nightmare for everyone so make sure you have done your preparation. Is there any reason why you cant do a short practice run and make sure she is not going to scream her head off the whole way. Might have been an idea to put her in kennels if it is going to be a big problem.

7. Amelia M Richards

She doesnt normally use a crate but after a few times of putting her in there and giving her treats shes loving it so I think I am in fact making a fuss for no reason:D
    Thanks for your replies, will update with how it goes

Attached Files:

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice