Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First (and last) encounter with the SSPCA

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by anotherdragonfly, Aug 24, 2013.

1. anotherdragonfly

anotherdragonfly PetForums Newbie

Anyone else think the SSPCA are a shower of bastards? Had my first encounter with one of their employees two days ago and I have lost ALL my respect for this vile charity.

I was forced to call them out to help with a cat which had been left to starve and then knocked down. But all the callous cow of an "inspector" could say, upon first seeing this poor unfortunate cat, was "oh, what a smell." My heart sank and at that moment I wished I had a car, and money for a vet.

She then roughly handled the cat, even though I told her to be careful as I believe it was knocked down, and she said "why? Is it vicious?", to which I replied "no, but you may make the situation worse if the cat has broken bones."

Anyway, I asked her to give me an update on what happened to the cat, which she hasn't done, and I told her that cat has an appetite (a good sign I think), which she ignored and presumably it wasn't passed on to the vet.

Maybe any of you on this site might know this person:
    She's a young lady of slim build and miserable personality who works for the Stirling/Clackmannanshire branch of the SSPCA. She was on duty on the 22nd August, unfortunately I didn't get her name. Rest assured I won't let the matter drop. Still don't know what happened to pussycat.

I've put a complaint in but they've ignored me so far.

2. j4nfr4n

j4nfr4n PetForums VIP

So sorry for what you and the poor cat had to put up with but it sounds exactly the same as the way the RSPCA go about dealing with things :thumbdown::thumbdown:
    Hope you get some response soon from them but don't hold your breath.

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I don't think you will, either.
    'Ignore it and it will go away' seems to be the motto of most big charities when confronted with criticism from the public that is funding their 'efforts'.....

I'd call in local newspaper, a human interest television programme or something like that....

4. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I also live in this area and have had a few bad experiences with the SPCA

The first was when we had a wild rabbit stuck in our garden that was bleeding from both eyes and was presumably blind. The poor thing was running head first into the fence, walls of our house and the shed. We called the SPCA to come and get it. The woman on the phone bit our heads off and told us that they would only take the rabbit if we caught it and to call back if we caught "the thing"

So I managed to catch the rabbit and put it in a box, called them back. They turned up a few hours later, didn't say a word they just picked up the box and THREW it in the van.

Then last summer someone abandoned a cat in my friends street. Everyone in the street was feeding him. She called the SPCA, they came out took one look at the cat and told her since it was well fed they couldn't take him. She called multiple times over the next few months and got the same answer. Over the next few months the poor cat got skinnier and skinnier then half way through winter he just disappeared.

And the 3rd time was also last summer. I was out for a walk and I found a cat lying at the side of the road panting. This was at a bypass surrounded by fields with a few houses in the distance. I called the SPCA and it took them an hour to get there. By this point the cat had gotten up and was staggering around. They stood and watched it for 5 minutes and said it probably had heat stroke and it must belong to someone in those houses. She drove off despite the fact that the cat was still panting and staggering around. Then a couple of children appeared and ran towards the cat which took off into the woods.

5. anotherdragonfly

anotherdragonfly PetForums Newbie

Thanks for sharing SilverCat. I don't you remember what aforementioned "she" looked like at all? Just in case it's the same person who came to me, I'm trying to track her down.

(Wonder if said person thinks rescuing cats is beneath her or something...)

You should put in a complaint about these incidents, with date/time and as much info as you can remember.

6. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

Sorry, I can't remember. This was about a year ago and I was so worried about the cat I wasn't paying much attention to what she looked like and I don't think I got her name.

7. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

I feel really bad about this because I raised over £200 for them doing a charity abseil earlier this year, but I've heard from people running other rescue organisations in my local area that the Scottish SPCA have an "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" attitude towards creatures- very keen on rescuing dogs and horses, cats not so much...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice