Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

First Aid Kit?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lupie, Sep 8, 2013.

1. lupie

lupie PetForums VIP

Hello, looking for a bit of advice.

Me and my dog are going camping for a few days in Dartmoor and I intend on spending most of it hiking about. I spent a lot of my childhood summers there so excited to be going back with Ruska!

I'm trying to be sensible about what I need to bring when I'm out as obviously walking around the moors isn't quite the same as the Surrey hills.

I'm thinking mostly in terms of a first aid kit for Ruska - obviously I can bring the essentials for me but what should I be bringing for a dog? I've seen ones you can buy but I feel like it's something I should be able to put together myself fairly easily.

Hopefully everything will go fine but it doesn't hurt to be prepared so any suggestions on what I should be including will be gratefully received!

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Pocket Emergency Kit (for out on long walks)

Melolin Non-adherent dressing

Soffban (padding)

Conforming bandage

Vetwrap

Leg of tights for muzzle or tourniquet or to wrap up ears in case of injury

Urtica Urens/Apis Mel for stings (can use Piriton)

Tweezers (for thorns and splinters)

Instant Ice Pak

Sterile Saline solution pod (cleaning out wounds and eyes)

Vets phone number and mobile phone

Wire cutters in case dog gets caught in wire

A few crystals of Washing Soda (to induce vomiting if dog has ingested poison etc)

Main First Aid Kit (always kept in car)

More of the above

Tick remover

Windeze or Infacol (contains simethicone for bloat)

Glucogel and Manuka honey for weakness/collapse.

Superglue for cut pads

Intrasite gel (deep wounds)

Electrolytes, slippery elm and probiotics (for diarrhoea)

Aloe Vera Gel

Styptic tips

Arnica (for pain) plus other homeopathic remedies

Muzzle

Dog Boots (disposable and reusable)

Clingfilm (for burns/innards escape)

Foil Blanket (in case of shock)

Home extras

Worming Tablets

Flea/Tick treatment

Elizabethan Collar

4. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

First aid kits can be huge, and everything in them is really sensible to carry as you just never know. If you're leaving it in the car I'd get a nice sized one, but if you want something to carry in your rucksack while walking you might need to worry about weight and space.

The only things I've used in 7 years of looking after dogs is antiseptic wipes to clean my hands, sterile wash - I prefer the spray although I don't think the dogs like it much its easier to get where it's needed. Gel falls off and the vials by the time you've broken the top off and tried to tip it up to wash the dog, the dog has moved and it's all over the floor. Then just the bandaging, so the absorbant dressing, then I use 3 layers. The soft cottony wool type, then the conforming bandage then the elasticy one that sticks to itself and comes in funky colours (I always go for camo).

I don't think I've used anything else when out with the dogs, although if you have big dogs you might want to think about something that can double up as a sling/support in case of sprains or breaks.

5. lupie

lupie PetForums VIP

Gosh thanks for all the wonderful replies. Lots more that I hadn't thought about!

I was hoping to take the essentials with me in my rucksack and then have the larger stuff in the car.

She's just over 16kg, so I'm hoping that in an emergency I could carry her. But not sure for how long so I might try and think about something to use as a sling.

Feels horrible to be thinking of all this stuff but if the worse did happen I would be devastated to not have come prepared!

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Kits are great but knowing how to use them is even better. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice