UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this morning we went to our first agility class! It's been a long wait but we had a great time! It's an outdoor training area so we got very muddy but I was so pleased with Izzy, she's a very nervous little girl especially around strangers so I was a bit concerned that she may turn into a barky butt but she was great!

We started off with a series of 3 low jumps which she did with no problems, then we tackled the tunnel, with her being so nervous she did not like being held at one end by someone else for me to stand at the other end and call her through so the trainer suggested me urging her through the start and running alongside to meet her at the end and she soon got the hang of it, shes a bit slow coming through and hesitant to come out the other side as there was another helper standing there but I'm hoping confidence will come in time. Then we worked on introducing a turn out from the series of 3 jumps to do another 2 jumps with the emphasis being on control (all done at a walk) and Izzy was brilliant at this and very focused, we even managed to do it off lead :D !

We then tackled the drop tunnel which she did similar to the normal tunnel, went in ok but hesitant coming out the other end cos there was someone there holding the fabric up for them to get used to it! Then we finished with the dog walk, the first time she was a bit nervous climbing up but after that she managed it with no problems.

She also greeted and let some strangers pet her very nicely, she also made friends with a lady who had a treat bag full of liver cake and sat with her head in this lady's lap giving puppy eyes until she got some :p!

All in all a good and very muddy day and we have a very tired pooch laid on the sofa now! Looking forward to next week now! :D

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Congratulations, sounds like you have done really well :thumbup:

I have just started doing agility with Roxy (had our 2nd class on Thursday). She's loving it but unfortunately I am having trouble remembering the courses :eek:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this morning we had our second class, it was pretty wet and with the training being outdoors it was touch and go whether it would be on but it was and despite the rain we had a great time! Started off with a refresher on the tunnels, sent the dogs through a few times just to remind them what to do, Izzy did great, was fine going in, again a little hesistant coming out the other end but it was an improvement on last week. Then we worked on off-lead control over a series of jumps which went well apart from one attempt where Izzy took off to see her Dad! Then we attempted the long jump which Izzy did with no problems. We then did a series of jumps followed by a tunnel when again went fine but then we attempted another series of jumps with a tunnel focusing on control with the dog on our right which Izzy seemed really unsure of, she is so used to walking to heel on the left she seemed confused being on the other side of me so that's something we're gonna work on this week, getting her running on both sides of me!

We then moved on and worked on some handling techniques with us changing the side that the dog is working on through a series of jumps and tunnels which we managed pretty well! Then we attempted the dog walk again which she did with no problems then we learned to do the A frame which again she was quite happy with, not rushing or leaping off to quickly but not hesitant! Am so proud of her, just need to work on confidence and her being able to work on my other side and not getting too distracted and legging it in the direction of her Dad!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
So glad you had another great training session, i must admit its the wet weather training is the only thing i dont miss about training at this time of year ,,lol lol i used to train on a tuesday night and still look at the clock at 6.30pm and look at my dog and think "we should be out there now having fun" , but then deep down i think at least i still have my dog who although will never do agility again WOW him and i had 5 yrs having great fun together and at times so many laughs
xxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.