UK Pet Forums Forum banner

fireworks petition. please sign

6K views 152 replies 44 participants last post by  newfiesmum 
Great idea. Malkie is terrified. It wouldnt be so bad if it was one night but its for days and even duringthe day. There is no way he can be managed comfortably. I have done everything i can but he is very distressed and when he does calm down another is let off. Fireworks should not be given to the public but only at organisd events 1 day of the year. Wild animals and animals in a shelter must be terrified

It is not just dogs and it isn't a minority.

It's dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, small children, people with a fear of loud noises etc etc etc.

What about the way people misuse fireworks? (see my earlier post)

Why is it the people who dislike fireworks that would be to blame for a ban and not the people who misuse them?
Well said :)

Absolutely.

If someone is misusing fireworks then the police should take action. There are strict laws laid down as to where and when fireworks can be let off.
Do we want to ban cars or motorbikes because of the few who misuse them and cause a public nuisance.
The laws cant be that strict they are letting them off left right and centre day and night here

Okay, those youths have some sort of antisocial disorder at best, probably a psychopath as ringleader. Restricting their access to fireworks will do NOTHING to protect animals in their path. You can torture an animal using only a piece of string, or duct tape, or a shovel. Heck imbedded collars cause horrific injuries, should we ban dog and cat collars too? You just can’t prevent animal torture by restricting access to *things*.
You can make more of a difference by educating folks. Educate parents and caregivers to early signs of antisocial behavior and getting the right help for the child. Educate dog owners about proper care of their animals. But restricting access to things does nothing. IMO at least :)
Yeah people can torture animals with anything but by restricting fireworks that takes one less tool away for them to use. And that can only be a good thing right?

What about 1/2 checks? collars? Leads? Flexi leads? Baseball Bats? Concrete blocks? Shock Collars?

I guess we could also include washing machines / tumble driers / microwaves to as im sure ive heard horror stories of animals put in them to.

That would take some possible torture tools away to ;)
Things like that cant be regulated but fireworks can. So should be regulated. If it saves one animal then it was worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.