UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
G

·
Have to play devil's advocate here - my dog is sitting on the sofa not overly bothered by the fireworks but still not exactly 'happy' with the loud noises but I don't agree with banning fireworks for use by the general public.

Fireworks can be safe in a properly supervised, controlled environment with proper use by responsible people such as Joe public.

People shouldn't have to lose out on using them in their own back garden because of irresponsible people.

I think much stricter controls on the sale of fireworks is something that should be investigated.

I know not everyone will agree but hey ho, when do we?:wink5:

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Signed and shared on FB..at the moment Chester is running about the house in a state barking all the time..I put his thundershirt on him and its instantly calmed him, but now he's taking the bloody think off Grrrrrrr

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Have to play devil's advocate here - my dog is sitting on the sofa not overly bothered by the fireworks but still not exactly 'happy' with the loud noises but I don't agree with banning fireworks for use by the general public.

Fireworks can be safe in a properly supervised, controlled environment with proper use by responsible people such as Joe public.

People shouldn't have to lose out on using them in their own back garden because of irresponsible people.

I think much stricter controls on the sale of fireworks is something that should be investigated.

I know not everyone will agree but hey ho, when do we?:wink5:
I actually agree with you. 10 years ago it was the first winter with my horse. Stupidly I went along for my normal lesson forgetting it was the 5th November! I was treated to a wonderful display of fireworks over Maldon, and have to say I was more concerned than my horse!

I feel sorry for people who's dogs are disturbed (mine doesn't seem to give a damn!), but I agree that the fun shouldn't be spoilt for other people. Not the way to give dog owners a good name.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I've got a dog who's effected by fireworks. I'm sorry I won't be signing the petition either because lots of people get enjoyment out of having fireworks and it's only a few days out of the year. All us dog lovers have to do is be prepared to manage our pets comfortably for a few evenings of the year :)

If fireworks get banned, what next? Dogs maybe? I'm sure there are as many people who don't like dogs as there are don't like fireworks.

I've got a dog who's terrified of men... I could start a petition to stop men walking in public places so as to not upset my dog ;) :p

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Signed!!

Im not a killjoy by any means, Bertie' s okish with them, but just because he is ok doesnt mean I think they should be let off by all and sundry scaring other peoples dogs, wild animals, etc etc.

Believe me Ive had a good few years of complete hell from fireworks scaring my past dogs and I will sign any petition against the public letting off what amounts to bombs whenever they feel like it:mad::mad:

Not that anything will come from it, never does:(:(

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
:mad:
I've got a dog who's effected by fireworks. I'm sorry I won't be signing the petition either because lots of people get enjoyment out of having fireworks and it's only a few days out of the year. All us dog lovers have to do is be prepared to manage our pets comfortably for a few evenings of the year :)

If fireworks get banned, what next? Dogs maybe? I'm sure there are as many people who don't like dogs as there are don't like fireworks.

I've got a dog who's terrified of men... I could start a petition to stop men walking in public places so as to not upset my dog ;) :p
But how are you supposed to manage your dogs when you never know when they are going to be let off?

Ok if there were set dates to have them dog owners could be prepared, and as for a few evenings? which ones? christmas, birthday, bonfire, new year:mad:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know it isn't so cut and dry but I wish fireworks were banned and it isn't just because of the stress it causes to dogs.

People can be idiots and more so on bonfire night or new years, I saw a newspaper article about how some adolescents bought fireworks and put them in a cats rectum and set it off, the cat died in agony.

And we've all heard of fireworks being put through peoples letter boxes.

People can enjoy fireworks displays without fireworks being sold to the general public.

It is not a cut and dry issue but isn't stopping fireworks being sold to the general public a good compromise?

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

how on earth can anyone manage a dog who is frightened of fireworks , when they go off any time of the year for any excuse. I'm no killjoy but there's a time and a place for fireworks thats 5th November ONLY and supervised displays. why maybe would dogs get banned ?? you lost me on that one ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Duly signed.

The thing is, it's not always irresponsible people who cause problems with fireworks. All our neighbours are what I would consider very decent people, but they still do the fireworks thing in their gardens. And it's at birthdays, new year etc too. They aren't being malicious about it, but fireworks are fireworks, wherever you use them.

Maybe I am a party pooper, but I think there are safer (and quieter) ways to celebrate an occasion.

Bah humbug:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
I want be signing it. A) I don’t see why my choice to have a dog should mean that others have to be banned from doing something they enjoy. B) I like the tradition of bonfire night. C) I’m fed up the idea in this country that everything that remotely offends a minority of people or is remotely dangerous has to be banned and D) and finally I like fireworks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great idea. Malkie is terrified. It wouldnt be so bad if it was one night but its for days and even duringthe day. There is no way he can be managed comfortably. I have done everything i can but he is very distressed and when he does calm down another is let off. Fireworks should not be given to the public but only at organisd events 1 day of the year. Wild animals and animals in a shelter must be terrified

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Great idea. Malkie is terrified. It wouldnt be so bad if it was one night but its for days and even duringthe day. There is no way he can be managed comfortably. I have done everything i can but he is very distressed and when he does calm down another is let off. Fireworks should not be given to the public but only at organisd events 1 day of the year. Wild animals and animals in a shelter must be terrified
that's what I was thinking about last night ..those poor dogs in rescue kennels, that have no one to cuddle up to when stressed out at this time of year...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
:mad:

But how are you supposed to manage your dogs when you never know when they are going to be let off?

Ok if there were set dates to have them dog owners could be prepared, and as for a few evenings? which ones? christmas, birthday, bonfire, new year:mad:
You can pretty much guarantee both weekends either side of Nov 5th and probably weekdays too, NYE at midnight, Chinese new year, Big festival finales :)

It's the ones at this time of year that are a major problem for me because there are so many going off it's like a war zone outside which goes on all evening from dusk to about 11 pm. I plan for this by walking the dogs in day light, staying in with them in a room with the curtains closed and music/tv on loud enough to drown out the noise and they cope very well.

Typically a few fireworks for a birthday or an ad hoc celebration seldom cause a problem because they tend to be over in a few minutes and the dogs get over it very quickly :)

how on earth can anyone manage a dog who is frightened of fireworks , when they go off any time of the year for any excuse. I'm no killjoy but there's a time and a place for fireworks thats 5th November ONLY and supervised displays. why maybe would dogs get banned ?? you lost me on that one ;)
See above re managing dogs and fireworks. I've been managing dogs with firework fears for over 30 years and all it takes is a little forward planning for big events such as bonfire night and others outlined above. :)

My point about the petition is that these days if you get enough signatures on a petition about ANYTHING then it has to be discussed in the house of commons. Maybe all the dog haters out there could make a petition against dogs and if they got enough people signing it a ban on dogs may get discussed in the house of commons. :eek:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The reason why Bess isn't fazed is because she lives in the country and hears bird scarers going off when she goes for walks, clay pigeon shooting every and people out hunting rabbits at night. I suspect wild animals are used to the bangs as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I want be signing it. A) I don’t see why my choice to have a dog should mean that others have to be banned from doing something they enjoy. B) I like the tradition of bonfire night. C) I’m fed up the idea in this country that everything that remotely offends a minority of people or is remotely dangerous has to be banned and D) and finally I like fireworks.
It is not just dogs and it isn't a minority.

It's dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, small children, people with a fear of loud noises etc etc etc.

What about the way people misuse fireworks? (see my earlier post)

Why is it the people who dislike fireworks that would be to blame for a ban and not the people who misuse them?

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Hmm, I won't be signing it personally, because so many people get so much enjoyment from them - and they're only for a few weeks of the year. Maybe I'd feel different if I had dogs affected by them, but we don't get any around here.

However! I would like to see the bangs removed/quietened - it'd take nothing from the visual enjoyment of the fireworks, but be much less frightening and startling for dogs, wildlife, small children and the elderly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is not just dogs and it isn't a minority.

It's dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, small children, people with a fear of loud noises etc etc etc.

What about the way people misuse fireworks? (see my earlier post)

Why is it the people who dislike fireworks that would be to blame for a ban and not the people who misuse them?
Well said :)

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.