Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fireworks - how are things at your place?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Nov 3, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well yesterday fireworks went on sale here. As predicted there was quite a few people setting them off last night around us. McKenzie wasn't so happy about that - she was barking at them every time there was a bang. I put her thundershirt on and she was MUCH better. I tried taking it off her at bedtime but she started barking at them again, so left it on and took it off at one point in the night when I woke up.

Tonight (it's sat night here now) there are even more going of around us, and much closer, and Kenzie isn't even blinking. She's curled up in her basket without a care in the world, without her thundershirt on, and she hasn't barked once even though they've been going off constantly for about the past half hour :rolleyes: If it wasn't for the fact her ears are moving, I would think she's gone deaf!

So I'm thinking that she figured out last night that it wasn't actually a big deal, and today they're old news!

So, have there been many going off around you, and how are your dogs dealing with it?

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Been going off here for over a week :eek: Bobby has the odd bark or growl soon calms down though :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm pleased Kenzie's taking them in her stride now.

No fireworks here as we live on the perimeter of an airport; pretty much daily bangs from guns firing though or the birds being scared at the airport. Kilo is fine with fireworks as he was around loud bangs from being a puppy...doesn't bat an eyelid :D.

4. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

Am staying in Leeds at the moment and down the road, some people have let off a few fireworks but the dogs are not bothered at all.

''Look at our faces, are we bovvered?'!!

:)

5. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

There were a few last night but Holly did not hear them, there is an advantage of going deaf this time of year.
    Tonight will be different though, if it does not rain too hard, there is a party going on in the rec near us. Just hope there are not too many whizzy ones, she hears those

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Fireworks have been going off every now and again for the past 3 weeks. :rolleyes: Also saw someone light a sparkler and plant it in the communal garden. Luckily M&M don't seem to be too bothered by them - Max never has been and Milly seems to be the same.

The only time they get worried about them is when we're out on a walk and the bliddy things go off so close to us that it frightens me as well as them. :mad:

However, health permitting we (we as in we humans - not the dogs :) ) are, as a family, going to a proper, professional display tomorrow night :thumbup:

7. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Been going off here in the evenings with some gusto this week Tink doens't bother, but will probably want to go outside and watch teh village display tomorrow night.:rolleyes: Walking on the ranges she's used to rapid gunfire smoke grenades flash bangs etc at various distances

But i really feel for everyone who's dogs are terrified of them and wish they were more heavily regulated and controlled.

Glad Kenzie is ok with them now :)

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

fine here, no worries at all :) we love fireworks :D

last night a house in the square had a firework party, went on for about an hour, really loud too, some of the loudest private fireworks i've heard, a couple shook the house.

Me and the dogs were outside watching them!

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Had a few go off last night. I don't think Germans really celebrate bonfire night but I know Monday there's something going on on camp. So far Spen's not bothered, they're nothing compared to the gun shots we usually get lol. If anything I think it's going to be the sight of them that upsets him.

10. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

They have been going off for several weeks round here but last night was the first 'proper' night of bonfires and displays. Jessie coped really well and showed none of her usual signs of shaking and trembling although she was worried and wouldnt eat her dinner. The other two werent bothered at all.

11. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

We have had the odd one or two gone off over the last few days. Last year when Molly was about 4 or 5 months old, she didn't even bat an eyelid. This year, she has been a bit more up tight about them.

She has the odd bark at them, but last night she spent the whole evening curled up next to me after she heard one go off.

12. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

There's been the odd one, but no displays as of yet.

Thankfully Charlie was easily bribed to ignore the fireworks as a puppy, so we'll be attending a display together if the weather holds off.

13. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

We've hardly had any here yet which I was really surprised about, I was expecting loads.

No doubt there'll be a lot more tonight, I think there are a few local displays planned, but the dogs aren't even remotely bothered.

14. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

All's well here... Rufus has been woke up a few times by fireworks this week, but i'm pleased to report that he's just had a bit of a grumble and gone back to sleep :D

15. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Had quite a few going off last night, Gelert hates bangs and barks and barks and Gracie has picked up the habit :rolleyes: Have started them both on Zylkene in preparation for Monday, which I am dreading. We'll be barricaded upstairs all night with the tv on full blast, with a good chew for the dogs and preferably a bottle of gin for me.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

There have been a few going off for the last few evenings and Heidi's been giving a growl/bark. They've tended to be at the back of the house so she comes into the lounge with me and cant here them.

Last night we were sat in the dining room at the back of the house and some started going off. She was curled on her bed, looked to me and I told her it was ok. Did this a couple of times and she didnt murmer afterwards. Tonight will be the real test. Previous years havent been good. I've got everything crossed this is a turning point for her too.

Well done Kenzie x

17. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

We seem to be coping, didn't expect a problem as her previous owner was a shooting man and although he said she didn't like the actual gun she didn't appear :rolleyes: to mind when he was doing target practice in the back garden, although she raised an eyebrow she didn't seem bothered. I did draw the line and turned back at a garden last night where I could hear them getting ready for a firework party, would be just my luck if they let them off when we were right outside :eek:.
    Plenty of gunshot heard on our walk this morning so although I kept looking round to see where they were she wasn't bothered.

18. Janey D

Janey D PetForums Member

I dont have a clue at the moment how its going to be because we have only had Bertie 3 months! I kind of think we will be OK though, he isnt usually bothered by loud noises and we live in a rural area so we dont hear many fireworks. Our neighbours have horses and people around us are generally fairly respectful about not letting fireworks off near animals.

We always go to a family party on the 5th so are going to wait and see if Bertie is OK over the next couple of days. If necessary one of us will stay home with him but we will see how tonight and tomorrow night go first.

Any advice for new dog owners welcome!

19. smudgebiscuit

smudgebiscuit PetForums Member

Quite a few been going off here for a week and expect them to go on for another week at least if it's like last year. Our Molly hates them.....barks, grumbles, whines etc. We got her a Thundershirt and whilst it seems to calm her a bit it doesn't stop the reaction to the blummin' things going off :glare:
    Since last year we've had tests done and she has an allergy to cows milk so the Zylkene we got last year is unusable :(

20. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

they've just started around here :( Murphy was fine with them until last year when one went off while we were walking out in broad daylight now he's terrified :( got him set up under the bed on a duvet with loud music playing so hopefully he won't be able to hear them that much :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice