UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben is going frantic he's barking and panting so much I feel like crying for him

What shall I do?? I've never had a dog before so no idea how you manage them I didn't know how he would be but obviously he hates them

Any ideas needed ASAP

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Ben is going frantic he's barking and panting so much I feel like crying for him

What shall I do?? I've never had a dog before so no idea how you manage them I didn't know how he would be but obviously he hates them

Any ideas needed ASAP
Close the curtains in a room so he can't see the lights and put music on loud. Stay in closed music room with him and act normally :) It works for mine every year :)

In the long term get one of those clix noise phobia CDs and play it every week so he gets used to the noise.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hi there's a few threads started on here right now with people sharing advice.

take a quick look.

you need to remain calm and not exacerbate things- it's distressing but try.

do you have a crate or a safe place- personally i'd screw the neighbours for one night and turn up tv or radio (it's not great advice- sorry)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Close the curtains in a room so he can't see the lights and put music on loud. Stay in closed music room with him and act normally :) It works for mine every year :)

In the long term get one of those clix noise phobia CDs and play it every week so he gets used to the noise.
This - great advice

·
Registered
39,811 Posts

Any ideas needed ASAP
Close the curtains and turn the TV up and you can also provide him with a safe Den, if he has a crate that he is OK in, put it against a wall, and drape a throw blanket or similar over the top and other two sides and leave the door open. See if he will settle in there too with something like a Kong or chew. Chewing is a destresser for dogs and if he will get involved with a kong or chew it should take his mind off it.

Might be worth trying to get an adaptil plug in diffuser as well tomorrow if you can, I always use them and find they help. Mine arrived wednesday and tonights been the worse and they are still asleep. I also use heomeopathic remedy aconite which they have had tonight as well, which is for fear especially thunder and fireworks.

Adaptil helps dogs and puppys learn settle travel and in kennels

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Forgot to add if he hasnt got a crate you can make a Den under a table with a blanket of throw over it leaving just an entrance on one side and put his bed in there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I feel really sorry for him, I'm dreading tomorrow night now although I I do what you say he should hopefully feel a little better.

X factor on full volume and his bed in living room under table with a cloth over it so it's like a den that's my plan

I've tuned tv up now and they have slowed down outside thankfully would you still put him to bed at his normal time and place?

He sleeps in the extension on his own - would you just be normal or move his bed so he's not on his own?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Don't over mother him too much. If he's shaking and you comfort him he'll think you're rewarding his action of shaking and saying its the right thing to do. Make him a little hideaway, but don't treat him as you would a child, however much you feel you want to. He'll just interpret that as mum's really scared too.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks I feel really sorry for him, I'm dreading tomorrow night now although I I do what you say he should hopefully feel a little better.

X factor on full volume and his bed in living room under table with a cloth over it so it's like a den that's my plan

I've tuned tv up now and they have slowed down outside thankfully would you still put him to bed at his normal time and place?

He sleeps in the extension on his own - would you just be normal or move his bed so he's not on his own?
If you live anywhere near a bunch of numb nuts like I have, you may find that you get another lot when they come back from the pubs, we have them start at 11pm plus sometimes. Take it from your user name he is a collie? Collies can tend to be really sensitive anyway, and some once they have been in a fearful situation can get phobias to things, not all obviously but they tend to in general be a sensitive breed and things can really upset them.

Personally I wouldnt put him out in an extension on his own just in case you get more. Dont know how old he is? but pups can have a fear period around 8/11 weeks and then another one between 6 and 14 months, and if they are going through a fear period as well, bad frights can have a lasting effect.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. If it was me I'd take him to bed with me...but maybe that's not the best advice :eek:

*ETA

I said MUSIC not Xfactor :lol:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I think an important thing is not to try to comfort the dog, especially a puppy. Ignore the fireworks, distact the puppy, play with some games with her & stay relaxed. We made a really big effort when Tilly was younger to ignore the fireworks, turn the tv up & not react to her reacting & she has been fine ever since, just the odd bark or ears prick up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you live anywhere near a bunch of numb nuts like I have, you may find that you get another lot when they come back from the pubs, we have them start at 11pm plus sometimes. Take it from your user name he is a collie? Collies can tend to be really sensitive anyway, and some once they have been in a fearful situation can get phobias to things, not all obviously but they tend to in general be a sensitive breed and things can really upset them.

Personally I wouldnt put him out in an extension on his own just in case you get more. Dont know how old he is? but pups can have a fear period around 8/11 weeks and then another one between 6 and 14 months, and if they are going through a fear period as well, bad frights can have a lasting effect.
Yes he's 7 months now so he would
Be in second fear period, I'm just going to keep him up until he starts to settle then put him in bed in usual place tomorrow I mIght set a bed up downstairs for me and him if it gets bad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.