Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fireworks advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Apollo2012, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

My toddlers old enough this year to take to the firework show just down the road, so I want to take her but obviously have to think about the animals too. Apollo ignores fireworks I think because we live in an area where theres always alot going on but ive never left him while there's fireworks going so he might only be ok with them because im here. Should I take him with me? Or should I leave him home with the cat and hope for the best? (Nyx hasnt experienced foreworks yet). It only for half an hour but obviously its when the main fireworks will be going. I dont know whay to do so advice would be appreciated :)

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take him with you is there someone who could sit with him for half an hour? Maybe a friend who he knows.

If not I would leave the telly on for him with the sound turned right up. I've left my dogs before on bonfire night and we live in the middle of the town with a lot of big bangs going off. I always put them into their crates so they know they are safe and then leave a radio on for them.

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take him with you

I'm sure he'll be fine at home with the telly on

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I definitely wouldn't take him as I think it's way too much of a risk. Being in his own house during fireworks is very different to being outside, right where they are being set off.

Personally I'd stay home with my pets on fireworks night, but if you really want to go with your toddler then I'd leave him crated, with tv on loud etc like Freyja said.

5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys, he ignores fireworks at home, doesn't even look for them out the window, he's been outside when fireworks have been going off before on a couple of our evening walks and he looks but doesn't react. I will leave him at home, I think he should be ok, I will see how or if he reacts to any fireworks before we leave him, if he's not happy I will let my brother take her instead, just think it would be to be there when she see fireworks for the first time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice