UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He jumped a mile.:( another just went off and he let out a whimper.:( is there nothing to help keep Buddy calm while fireworks are on the go.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Distraction, try playing with him and turning up the radio or tv to drown out any noise. Also a den area covered with a blanket so he has somewhere safe to hide might help.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Poor mite. To be honest, whilst I can appreciate it's not nice to see him worried, it's probably not a bad thing - it's best to get him used to them whilst he is so young. Does he have a crate? If so, that'll give him somewhere nice and cosy to hide where he should feel quite safe, or if you could make him a little den out of something - a blanket draped over the coffee table maybe.

Put the telly or radio up a little louder, shut the curtains, turn the lights on and just act completely normal, try not to pander to him as it'll just reinforce his fear. Act normally, go about your business as you normally would, and if he sees you're not anxious or worried, he won't be either! ;)

You can get supplements and what not to help with firework phobias, but there is no need whatsoever for them in a puppy so young. Like I say, I think this is probably a good learning experience for him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Distraction, try playing with him and turning up the radio or tv to drown out any noise. Also a den area covered with a blanket so he has somewhere safe to hide might help.
Thanks we're hopefully getting some toys for him to chew on tomorrow. He is in his bed now.

·
Premium Member
33,953 Posts
I hate this time of the year we have had the bl**dy things going off every night this week, luckily Dillon isn't frightened by them but I know dogs that are. They really should be banned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor mite. To be honest, whilst I can appreciate it's not nice to see him worried, it's probably not a bad thing - it's best to get him used to them whilst he is so young. Does he have a crate? If so, that'll give him somewhere nice and cosy to hide where he should feel quite safe, or if you could make him a little den out of something - a blanket draped over the coffee table maybe.

Put the telly or radio up a little louder, shut the curtains, turn the lights on and just act completely normal, try not to pander to him as it'll just reinforce his fear. Act normally, go about your business as you normally would, and if he sees you're not anxious or worried, he won't be either! ;)

You can get supplements and what not to help with firework phobias, but there is no need whatsoever for them in a puppy so young. Like I say, I think this is probably a good learning experience for him.
I know what you mean with supplements, he's 10 weeks old so still very young. He's sleeping outside my room tonight in his bed. He hasn't got a crate yet but we will be getting him one. Buddy says goodnight to all pf dogs.

·
Premium Member
33,953 Posts
Thinking back to when Amber was a puppy, we use to get her to send it off get her to bark at the bangs and the same with thunder storms try and turn it into a game if you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking back to when Amber was a puppy, we use to get her to send it off get her to bark at the bangs and the same with thunder storms try and turn it into a game if you can.
I'll try that thank you. Will have to wait til tomorrow though. Jorja is staying here tonight so if I got him to bark he might wake her. Makes sense, fireworks and thunder will be associated with games for him.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I'll try that thank you. Will have to wait til tomorrow though. Jorja is staying here tonight so if I got him to bark he might wake her. Makes sense, fireworks and thunder will be associated with games for him.
Personally, I cannot advise strongly enough against teaching him to bark at fireworks!!

You want to teach him to be calm, settled and relaxed when fireworks are going off - not having him in a heightened excited state, waiting for the next bang!

Terriers can be yappy dogs at the best of times - the last thing you want to be encouraging is nuisance barking at common noises.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I cannot advise strongly enough against teaching him to bark at fireworks!!

You want to teach him to be calm, settled and relaxed when fireworks are going off - not having him in a heightened excited state, waiting for the next bang!

Terriers can be yappy dogs at the best of times - the last thing you want to be encouraging is nuisance barking at common noises.
Hmmm can see where your coming from thinking about it.:) what about trying to get him to maybe fetch a toy as an alternative? Just a thought I just had.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Hmmm can see where your coming from thinking about it.:) what about trying to get him to maybe fetch a toy as an alternative? Just a thought I just had.
Honestly, if it were me, I'd just teach him to completely ignore them and have him settled and relaxed when they are going off. Playing games to distract him is all well and good, but are you going to want to do it constantly pretty much every evening from late October to mid November? Because fireworks are not restricted to just bonfire night anymore, they go on for weeks! And again, playing with him is having him in a excitable state - if you can just ignore him, and act normally when they are going off, he'll realise there is nothing at all to be worried about, and will just chill out once he's used to them :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just ignore the fireworks and the wimpers...do something else to take his mind off it all..play with him, cuddles ...oh and turn the Tv up x
Thank you Julie. How are your two. Buddy loves cuddles. Me and him bonded right away.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I wouldnt react or do anything different at all. If it is safe to do so i would also make sure that he is outside in your garden to toilet also while they are going off if far enough away.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Honestly, if it were me, I'd just teach him to completely ignore them and have him settled and relaxed when they are going off. Playing games to distract him is all well and good, but are you going to want to do it constantly pretty much every evening from late October to mid November? Because fireworks are not restricted to just bonfire night anymore, they go on for weeks! And again, playing with him is having him in a excitable state - if you can just ignore him, and act normally when they are going off, he'll realise there is nothing at all to be worried about, and will just chill out once he's used to them :)
Couldn't agree more with SixStar's advice. There's been loads of fireworks tonight and the dogs are not batting an eyelid, even when one went off while they were out having a wee. We had a dog who was terrified of fireworks/thunder/anything loud and I honestly think all our fussing etc made him worse :eek:

With our dogs now we've just totally ignored the fireworks, when they heard them for the first time they were a bit nervous but we just pretended we hadn't heard anything (to be honest I nearly hit the ceiling earlier when a massive banger went off :eek:, the dogs just kept snoring)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldnt react or do anything different at all. If it is safe to do so i would also make sure that he is outside in your garden to toilet also while they are going off if far enough away.
Sadly the fireworks were going off quite close.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.