Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fire Procedure & Pets

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by xxSaffronxx, Jun 8, 2010.

1. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

Hi
    Does anyone have an exit plan in the home for in the event of a fire?
    I suddenly pannicked the other day wondering how I would gather all my pets if this happened?
    I would be particularly interested in multi-pet households & how you would do it?

My friend said she would put her cats in pillowcases and tie them at the top so they are easier to handle and wont freak out as much - but being as I have multiple cats I dont know how quickly this can be done?
    And I dont want to do a fire-drill because Im worried it will freak the cats out unneccesarily?

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

We don't have a discussed plan but I know what I would do.

In the house we have two cats and a dog, dog sleeps in my room cats in dining room.

If the fire had come upstairs and I couldn't get downstairs I'd go across the hallway and into the bathroom, open the window and lower Roo onto the flat roof, I'd follow and then jump from the kitchen roof to the ground. Then take the bird table outside the dining room and smash the patio doors to get the kitties out :)

I always have a slip lead in my bedroom for fear of a fire or something and I could just put it straight on Roo and try to find a way out. There is also a sloping roof below my brother's bedroom window which I could use if the bathroom was blocked off.

If I got stuck in my bedroom quite simply I would probably have to throw Rupert out first, hope for the best and follow.

I had a look just yesterday. I'm a size 10/12 and its not like I could get out the window with Rupert we wouldn't fit, nor would we if I put a duvet around him or something either would have to be one at a time :confused1:

Double glazing is a bugger that's for sure...

I wouldn't bugger around with pillow cases and cats. What if you can't get to the linen cupboard etc and my cats would go nuts in them. I'd just open the upstairs window and put them out on of the roofs if we were upstairs.

3. xxSaffronxx

Thanks for your reply - only problem is my cats do not go outside, so putting them out a window would not be an option because they would run off, especially if they were scared

4. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

we don`t really have a plan as such but my dog and cat sleep in my room so they`d be easy to get to but the main problem would be the leads and carriers are downstairs as are the pigs. it`s something i`ve never actually thought about before and probably should have a plan in place.

the fire escape is my daughter`s window and we`ve recently had a bit built on out the back which rests on a slope just under it so once we had everything sorted we`d just throw her mattress out and slide down the slope then jump off as it`s only 2 ft above the ground.

this is actually a really good post though, it`ll be interesting to hear what others have in place

5. GoldenShadow

I understand where you are coming from :) I think my dog would run off if I'm honest and if the cats were indoor ones (they are predominantly now, both 16), I would rather get them out the house and they run off than try to fiddle about with something else, priority would be get them out before they inhale smoke as they are so small.

What would your friend do with them in pillow cases? Our two would shred my arms if I did that they don't like the pet carrier either :(

6. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

I have thought about it but honestly don't know what I would do. Have talked about it with the parents, dad being typical dad would just worry about getting everyone out safe and would in no way risk anybodies life going back for the animals, as far as he is concerned animals are replacable but family is not. :( Mum however I would imagine would try and get the dog out, but wouldn't be too worried about the cat or hamster. :(

We sleep upstairs, both cat and dog are downstairs in the kitchen and utility room, hamster is in the spare room beside me. I think I would probably grab the hamster cage and run straight down the stairs, as the front door is straight in front of you then. Then run into the kitchen, the dog lead is hanging up so would stick a lead on the dog and then just swing the window open for the cat to get out. Wouldn't worry about trying to get the cat in a carrier or pillowcase, because at that stage she would most likely be stuck to the top of the units so would just swing the window and hope she has the sense to jump out it. She is an indoor cat but I would prefer she was outside and safe than to waste time trying to shove her in a carrier.
    Its something I really hope we'l never have to worry about. :(

The house next door to my cousin had a fire start in the boilerhouse where their dog used to sleep at night. Boiler I think basically blew up and set fire to the house. The poor daughter was seen standing in the street a few days later screaming out the poor dog's name hoping he'd gotten free, but the poor thing wouldn't have had a chance as everything was gutted. :( Never liked the family but did feel sorry for the daughters.

7. GoldenShadow

This is one of the reasons I stopped crating my dog at night too. Different if you have them in your room I guess but I didn't see the point for me of having Roo in his crate in my room when he could be out of it.

People who looked around our house a month ago lost a 10 month old pup in a fire. She was crated in the kitchen, their older dog wasn't. Managed to get the older dog out but couldn't see to get to the pup and let her out :nonod:

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Yes same here, pillow cases and lower them all the the floor, they all sleep in our room. Have you noticed how these new open out windows have smaller openings, I would have to squeeze myself out. Now that frightens me coz they only open out so far. :mad:

9. xxSaffronxx

Yes mine too - dunno how i would get my fat bottom out!!

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My dogs have a dog flap so I would hope they were smart enough to go outside if a fire started. But I would climb out my bedroom window and coax them outside.
    The cats would be on there own Im afraid. They are indoors only but if a fire started I would try to open as many windows as I could for them and leave them to it. Cats often hide in these situations and frankly I wouldnt want to die hunting them down. Better to try and round them up again afterwards!:D

11. willa

willa PetForums VIP

The Dog sleep downstairs in the kitchen. If there was a fire downstairs,i actually dunno how we'd get out ! only have 1 staircase & if we jumped out of the window we'd either brake every bone or kill ourselves ... :scared:

:scared::scared: This thread has really worried me now ...

12. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

we have no slope.... no fire window..... and double glazing.

i i had to i would smash the window (if i could?!!!) and pass my do gout the window to someone if i could.

I couldnt leave her :eek:

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We live in a bungalow with double glazing in all rooms. The living room has narrow windows each side of a large centre one. If we were trapped there I think we would be able to get Dillon out but we would never get though the small ones, and I don't know how we would break in middle one. A few years ago the lady next door was taken ill and the police came and needed to break in to help her, it took them nearly 20 minutes to break the window to get to her. Frighting :scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice