Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fire HD tablet.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by loubyfrog, Apr 17, 2015.

1. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

has anyone got one and if so would you recommend one?

Could do with a new Kindle as the one i have is the oldest version and I have a voucher to use up plus just received and code for 10% off any kindle or Fire tablet so toying with the idea of the Fire HD 6 as it would only cost me £20.

Sooooo....are they worth the whole twenty poooound? :D

2. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I have one but I only really used it on holiday and on the odd occasion i've babysat for a whole evening. The most annoying issue i've had is with the books sometimes get stuck in "queuing" when there is nothing else downloading , it can sometimes take several hours for them to clear :rolleyes:

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Haven't had a problem with mine. I only want it for books, not "Apps" and the main disadvantage is the battery lasts nowhere near as long as the old kindle. Not surprising but a consideration.

4. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

Thanks Pointermum and Goblin for the pros and cons.

Still humming and aaarring over getting one but think for the money i'll be paying they're worth it....I just won't have loads of apps on if they slow down the downlaod time as I want to read books as soon as i buy them.

Thanks again.

5. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I got a Fire, took it outside to read in the sunshine and all I could see was a reflection of my face, which isn't pleasant at the best of times. It's okay indoors, but if it's mainly for reading purposes a new (ordinary) kindle would be a better bet for me, and that's what I use now. The Fire is pretty much collecting dust.

6. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I've got a fire and a paperwhite. Cannot read books on the fire, the battery life lasts for about 5-8 hours and never charges fully no matter how long I have it on charge (my mum's is the same). The fire is good for browsing the web or playing games but for reading it isn't as good, I can't read in the sun and I find it gives me a headache after a while (it's just like reading on a computer screen).

Love my paperwhite, I read so much on it. Battery life lasts about 6 weeks and I use it everyday. Can read in direct sunlight with no glare, the lighted screen is amazing doesn't strain my eyes and can read in the dark without disturbing others. I thought I'd hate the touchscreen but it's easier than buttons and comfy to hold.

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

I got the kindle fire HD and really like it.

I've read lots of books on it and the battery life hasn't been too bad either. Not as long as my paper white keyboard one. But enough to enjoy a few books before needing charging.

It's also good for listening to audio book and you get to see the front covers in colour. Also great for reading at night with the light out. Don't need a torch to read it in the dark like I used to with my paper white one.

Also it's handy for browsing the web and apps as well. Although I mostly use it for reading...

And it comes in pink... :eek: :)

Attached Files:

#7 katie200, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I've got the Kindle Fire, although not sure it's the HD one. Up until last week I never had an issue with it, but then one day the date and time had changed on it to 1970!! and I could NOT manually reset it. So after much Internet searches of other people with the same issue, all providing little help, I ended up resetting my whole tablet...losing all my downloaded apps and data *sigh*
    But it is working again!

I would recommend them though as for the price and what they offer I think they're good value for money compared to many higher end tablets.

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I have the Fire although not the HD one and don't rate it at all. Can't read it in sunlight and the battery life is absolute crap, mine needs charging after about 5 hours. Worth £20? Probably. But no way I'd pay full price for one. Much prefer my Paperwhite for reading on and would go with something other than Kindle Fire if I wanted a tablet.

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have a Kindle Fire but have hardly used it, I prefer my Kindle paper white for reading and my iPad for everything else :)

11. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

I have a Kindle Fire HD and i take mine everywhere with me but i use it more to play games, check websites ect , i do have some books on it but its rare i read them which is normal for me as i don't really read a lot ... I purchased mine as i wanted to take it to Australia with me so i could get online easier than carrying a laptop everywhere

it has crashed a few times but that's proberly down to me over using it ... it soon resets itself when connected to wifi

12. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

Thanks again for your input.

I'm all in a tizz now.....do I go for the paper white or the fire HD.

Will probably be reading on it a lot more than "apping it" and i definitely don't want to see my ugly mug reflecting back at me when in the middle of a gripping story. I'd have nightmares I tell ya.:D

The paperwhite is quite expensive for a e reader which is why I opted for the tablet but now im just not sure.

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

If it's just for reading then personally I'd pay the extra and get the Paperwhite. Especially if you do a lot of reading. I usually read a hell of a lot and still found I was only needing to charge it once a week or less. I find the Fire really heavy to hold for reading for long periods, prefer the lighter weight ones.

Depending on what exactly you want it for the regular Kindle may be worth a look. Half the price of the Paperwhite. No idea what it's like for reading in bright sunlight though if that's a necessity. I loved my old Kindle (I had the first one that came out lol) and was gutted when it died early this year. Paperwhite has been a great replacement though.

I think the only thing i really use my Fire for now is audio books. Could have bought an mp3 player to do the same job for less lol.

14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

To be honest I've read a huge amount of books on my Kindle Fire and had no troubles, but then again I don't read outside or anywhere where light reflects on the screen etc. I only read in bed at night.

15. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

If your main use is reading, I'd go for a paperwhite or a basic kindle. Kindle Fire is a lit screen tablet, so if you're sensitive to glare you're more likely to get eye strain and it will be harder to read in bright sunlight.

I have a tablet (not a fire) and a Kindle - I use the tablet for internet, apps and "colourful" reading (magazines, course books) and my Kindle for reading books. It all boils down to what you actually want it for....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice