Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fire guards

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bigsize9foot, Sep 16, 2020 at 7:43 AM.

1. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Not sure if this is quite the right board but it seemed the closest! We have a wood burning stove and 2 new kittens. I am needing a guard that covers the top of it so they don't jump on top it when it's on. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything they use? Luna never used to bother with it when she was a kitten. I think Archie jumped on it once but didn't again.

2. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Hi @Bigsize9foot

We searched for quite some time to find our fire guard but did eventually find something :)

Our stove is quite large so ended up having to buy two things and then hack them together but you might not need to do that.

This is the main component:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M274IIB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But since our alcove/fire is quite wide we combined with:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTND9UG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good thing with the first one is it has doors in the front so you can still access the stove when the guard is in place.

Old picture from last christmas but shows it in place (and apologies about all the mess!)
    IMG_20191225_093634_MP.jpg

Bigsize9foot likes this.
  3. Bigsize9foot

Thank you- that’s ideal! Our stove is much smaller than yours so I’m hoping the first one might do. Will measure up!
    have you ever found you’ve not needed to use one with your cats? Luna doesn’t really go near it but she’s 3 now. Don’t remember her ever being much interested it. The kittens are only a few months though and I can see them causing mischief!

Psygon likes this.
  4. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Sadly yes ..

We had the stove installed in February 2015, and at first no one showed any interest in it. Then one night Ted and Darcy had a crazy zoomie half hour and both jumped on the stove (not at the same time). It was horrible and I felt so guilty because we didn't have a fire guard that covered it and they had been so reluctant to go near it when it was on up to that point.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/ed-and-darcy-have-been-to-the-emergency-vet.392744/

FB_IMG_1600282668934.jpg FB_IMG_1600282664757.jpg

5. Bigsize9foot

Oh
    oh no! Luna burnt herself after running on the ceramic hob one time when it was still on. It was awful too. We cover it now but fire guard it is! We spend enough time at the vet already! Thanks again.

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

We have a wood burner which is recessed. There is however lots of clearance at the top for the cats to jump onto the burner.

I searched for ages for a guard as it had to be a certain size/height. Eventually found a free standing calor gas fire guard (black metal as per the above poster's guard) which fits perfectly over the recess. We drilled small hooks into the wall and the guard is secured to them, each side, with mini key-ring type D clips. A bonus was it was a lot cheaper than most fire guards.

We wouldn't be able to use the fire without it - the cats always wanted to sit in the little space on top of the stove

Bigsize9foot likes this.
  7. Bigsize9foot

Thanks- ours is recessed too but they can get under it- Archie used to do this often and curl up behind it without ever burning himself. Wouldnt trust the kittens though. They can also jump on top of it. We have a slate tile round the outside of the recess though so wouldnt be able to drill in a guard. I will check it out though!

8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice