Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fip

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mootie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

How do i ensure i never go through this with another cat.I've read so much n the internet now i'm confused!

2. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi! it may help if you say what the problem is! :rolleyes: :)

3. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

My cat has just passed away with the wet form of FIP.

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

5. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

Thanks for that,I would like to know if other cats from this cattery will have been affected with tis horrible condition?

6. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

so sorry about your cat hun dont no much about fip but didnt want to read and run :001_smile:

7. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

Oh thanks,i have cried in days over this,i have read and reread and am now sooo confused,i have many questions like did she come with this,could i have done more?

8. Dally Banjo

I think it is only 10% of cats with the Coronavirus that go on to develope FIP :( & usually only very young or old cats who's imune systems are low. Stress can bring on the Coronavirus so if there are alot of cats in a cattery then the risk is higher of them haveing it, but dont necessarily develope FIP.

Do you have any other cats?

9. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

The cat that passed away was a young cat that had been handreared and i also have 2 older cats in their teens.

10. Dally Banjo

They should be ok :) they cant catch FIP but if you wanted to get another kitten/cat I would wait 3 months as the coronavirus can survive a long time :( & clean all the cats stuff very thoroughly with something like milton disinfectant.

It is a horrendous disease we lost a lovely kitten to it a while back fortunately our other cats are older so are fine but I did get them tested at the time just to be on the safe side before getting another kitten.

11. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

Thanks,you really have been a great help.

12. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

We lost our amazing little boy to wet FIP earlier this year. He only spent 2 days with us and a further 10 days with our vet at his home before he was pts. It was so heartbreaking - in the short time he was with us he made such an impact on everyone who met him. It's such a frustrating disease as there's no treatment and it just seems so random. I spent two weeks reading everything I could, especially as we had a little girl kitten, Kiki from the same breeder (but different parents) and wanted to know what the risk was for her. Our vet was brilliant support through all of this and explained our options and what all the test results meant.

We had her tested and thankfully her results came back negative - her litter hadn't had such free access to the rest of the breeders house as his litter had, which I'm sure helped to keep her contact with corona virus to a minimum.

We didn't get the level of support we would have liked from the breeder, and as Kiki's tests came back clear we've decided to get her a new kitten as a playmate - but have gone to a different breeder.

As Dally Banjo pointed out it is a small risk that a cat that carries Corona Virus will go on to develop FIP it's a risk we didn't want to take. We were open with the new breeder about what we'd been through and she did some research and as Kiki had the all clear she was happy for us to reserve one of her kittens.

There's nothing you can do to prevent it, many cats carry and shed the Corona Virus in their stools and never go on to develop FIP. As I said there's no treatment and it is relatively rare - but it is more common in multi cat environments. I'm not sure if every can that comes into contact with the CV will carry it - but most carriers will shed for about 3 months and then will be negative but some can be lifelong carriers. I think the reason it's more common in multi cat environments is simply that the cats continue to pass it on to each other.

Do ask if you have any specific questions - I could go on for ages about it, but I'm not sure how much you know already. I'm not an expert but will help if I can.

Once again, I'm so sorry you lost your little one to this awful disease. I now donate a little each month to help research, in memory of our boy.
    xxx

Dally Banjo likes this.
  13. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

Just a further point to bear in mind when testing for coronavirus...you should test a minimum of 2 weeks after you think your cat or kitten has been exposed to the virus, otherwise you may get a false negative result. Also is the breeder of your new kitten going to have the kitten coronavirus tested before you collect?

14. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Yes, it was over two weeks that she was tested.
    It's rare to find a breeder that regularly tests for the corona virus, maybe they wouldn't like the results. Plus taking blood tests from kittens isn't the easiest of procedures.

If we knew Kiki was a carrier she would stay an only cat as we wouldn't put another kitten at risk. As she has been given the all clear the risk is at normal levels.

15. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

Last year a lady who was buying a kitten from me requested that her kitten be tested for coronavirus as she had lost a kitten to FIP the previous year. I was happy to oblige, as was my vet. I decided in the end to test all my kittens last year. All were negative. So it can be done. My vet then emailed the results directly to her vet for future reference, although I understand my vet could have provided me with a certificate. Please ask for your kitten to be tested, you really dont want to go through that again, or risk bringing the virus into your house as your other cat has tested negative.

16. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I am sorry for the loss of your cat
    RIP little one xx

17. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

hi mootie are you on facebook.
    the reason i asked if because a friend of mine lost her ragdoll to fip last year and she has set up a page in her (tiffy the cat) memory. its called tiffy's page and sue (tiffy's mum) is a bit of a counsellor if you wish to speak to her about your sadness. she may be able to help you in some way

18. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

Hi,thanks to everyone that has replied.Popoki,your help has been really great,as i said i have read and read and end up totally confused.
    Will my kittens breeder have the corona virus in her household?Why did you choose another breeder,were you scared of the same happening again? I intend to get another cat,but now feel a bit overwhelmed with what you could be bringing into your house.Would it be best to look at another breeder?So many questions!!!!

19. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Been there done that! :(

Our first breeders were very upset by the whole experience and have said they're going to put a hold on breeding for the foreseeable future so it wasn't really an option to get a second kitten from them.
    We found another breeder - they're quite a long way from us but they have been great and really supportive of what we've been through so there was no question that we get our kitten from them.

It's likely that your breeder will still have the Coronavirus in their household, there are ways to eradicate it but it's difficult without testing all the cats and keeping them in isolated groups while going through the testing period.
    However as I said it is still relatively rare for CV to mutate into FIP but it's still a risk.

What does your breeder say about it? Have you talked to them? I would say if they're not giving you the answers you want then maybe you should look for another breeder. Finding a breeder we feel really comfortable with was our number one priority second time round, and it's really important for us that we find a breeder that can offer us some kind of relationship for the life of the cat. But that may not be on everyones priority list so you need to think about what's important to you.

Despite what angel a recommends we will not get our new boy tested, I just don't think it's worth it. Yes, he could come with CV and yes he could develop FIP but most likely he won't. Maybe we should worry more, but heck, we worry about everything to do with our kittens regardless and part of me thinks lighting won't strike twice (although technically I know it can, but you know what I mean!!)

You could look for a breeder that tests for CV, or a small breeder maybe with only one or two queens both of which would minimise chances of a CV+ kitten.

Hope that helps
    xx

#19 popoki, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Dally Banjo likes this.
  20. mootie

mootie PetForums Junior

Hi popoki,i have mentioned to my breeder FIP but their response was that it was a vets excuse for really not knowing what was wrong and just a cop out! I haven't pushed it at all cos i really have been so gutted about the whole thing.I will have to think long and hard before i get another one.Many thanks for taking the time to explain so many of my questions.:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice