Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fip, need advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by george1111, Jun 10, 2017.

1. george1111

george1111 PetForums Junior

Well I lost my cat to suspected fip yesterday he was 8 months old, he started to loose weight rapidly but belly got bigger and bigger took him to the vets and he said there was nothing he could do as Bruce was so poorly, I made the awful decision to have him put to sleep which has completely broken my heart. My question is I have another cat which is 5 years old and from what the vet said it's unlikely that he will catch it but I'm sorry worried that he will, i read online that disinfecting the house food bowls and litter tray helps, so spent all day with the steam mop and disinfectant cleaning everything. Is there anything else I can do as my vet said there is no way of checking if my other cat has it?

Also as I had him for 6 months would he have caught this from my cat or when he was a baby and it progressed because when I first got him he was just like a normal kitten until the last couple of weeks.

How long should I wait until I can introduce another kitten? Not that I want one yet but if I don't I wouldn't want to risk it.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

FIP is caused by Feline Coronavirus mutating within the individual cat. It is likely that your other cat has or had coronavirus from contact with your kitten (it may even have been your kitten had it from your older cat) since it is very infectious but the form which causes FIP is not. There was one study which claimed it could be passed from one cat to another but further research into the DNA showed every cat had a slightly different form. If your two cats are related, there may be a greater risk since it is believed there can be an inherited susceptibility but at 8 years old, he is probably safe. The typical cat that succumbs to FIP is younger than three years or an older cat.

If I were you, I would test my current boy for coronavirus to see if he has an antibody titre. If he is positive, I would test every three plus months until he is zero before thinking of having another kitten.

Transmission is via oral ingestion of faecal matter so normal cleaning should eliminate the risk in the environment as long as your boy is negative.

3. george1111

My cat is 5 years old he was not related to the kitten I lost. The kitten I got from a private sale and when I got there they had about 15 cats and kittens from different litters in the house. I'm really worried now because I can't loose George too.
    I will call my vet Monday morning and see what they can tell me.

4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Sorry I misread your first post. At 5 years old your boy is not the typical FIP cat. FIP is very rare so it would be very unlucky to have two unrelated cats with the disease.

5. george1111

Thank you for the reply I will call my vet Monday and see if they can do a test. I don't think I will get another cat anyway as he was happy on his own before.

I just hope I don't have to go through that again.

6. george1111

Do you think it will still be a good idea to get him tested for coronavirus?

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If you are not thinking of getting another cat, I don't think there is much point. Coronavirus is so common, your boy may have antibodies and that might worry you even though the chance of the virus mutating is so very slight. You do not actually know your kitten had FIP since it can only be definitely confirmed at post mortem.

8. george1111

But I don't know if I can live with not knowing I'm so worried about him now.

My kitten was fine until a few weeks ago (well he seemed fine) then he started getting a big belly and I thought he was getting fat but I can start to feel all his bones and a couple of times I could see a bit of a snotty nose and he s struggling to walk the last day and had a big of ghnknon his eyes. But the vet checked his belly and said it was full of fluid and if I had not taken him he would have died in a couple of days as he had lost a lot of weight. He stopped eating completely the last day or so too.

9. george1111

And how long could he have the coronavirus ?

And how long would I have to wait until I know he's in the clear of getting fip?

10. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

I lost my boy Mac to dry FIP in April 2014, he was 22 months old, I had 2 older females and I was convinced they would get sick too, I talked to the vet about coronavirus testing my girls but we decided to wait because I wasn't planning on any more cats and not a breeder, in July that year I ended up with Finn and he was a tiny 6 week old kitten.
    I knew that there was a chance he could catch the coronavirus from my girls if they carried it or that he could give it to them, Finn will be 3 on Monday, he's a big healthy cat, my girls are healthy too and I never did get them tested, my vet basically told me that if I tested them and it was positive then it wouldn't really mean anything because having the virus doesn't mean it will mutate, obviously it's your choice to test or not but I wanted to let you know that things can work out OK after FIP.

PetloverJo likes this.
  11. george1111

So does that mean he will always have the coronavirus? And a very slight risk of getting fip for the rest of his life?

I thought about getting another cat for a friend for George but I can't go through it again.

12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Most cats who have antibodies will return to zero over a period of months but for those who have a persistently high titre, it has been discovered they do not mutate to FIP. When I was breeding, my cats tested positive for coronavirus. They all gradually returned to zero except one and she had a persistently high titre every time she was tested. In the end I gave up testing her and she lived many more years without any sign of FIP.

Just to repeat, you do not know he has coronavirus. You do not know for sure your kitten had FIP.

13. george1111

So maybe it would be a good idea for me to maybe leave him for now and maybe get him tested in a few months. And hope it's zero.
    Yes I don't know it was definitely fip but looking at all the symptoms they all do link to wet fip.

Thank you for taking the time to reply both of you.

14. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Good luck and try not to worry. It must be hard when you have just lost your kitten.

15. george1111

Yeah it was awful, sometimes I wish I didn't love animals so much, I only had Bruce for 6 months but it's ripped me apart. I have had George since he was 8 weeks he's like a spoilt child but he's the greatest cat and he new when I got home yesterday something was wrong and he came straight to me for cuddles which he does anyway but it was like he new yesterday and today he's not really left my side. He woke me up this morning laying on top of me nibbling my ear for me to get up and feed him. I just hope everything will be ok now. Thanks again

16. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

I read that 3 months is a good waiting time for the virus to die off, I don't know how true that is though.
    I steam cleaned everything, including cat beds and scratch posts, I couldn't bear to part with some of Macs favourite toys so I stuck them in the washing machine, used bleach and disinfectant practically every where, got new litter trays and food bowls...and I panicked, a lot!

I never intended to get any more cats but when Finn came to me at just 6 weeks old I couldn't turn him away.

Test if you want to, a negative test will certainly give you peace of mind, I was all for it and really wanted my girls tested, Mac had been indoor only since I got him at 13 weeks old, my girls were ,5 and 11 and had never been outside ..... my husband was against testing them, I took losing Mac hard and he thought if we got a positive results I just wouldn't cope, he was probably right.
    That's one reason why we delayed testing but then Finn turned up and threw a tiny fluffy spanner in the works.

The corona virus only mutates in a very small percentage of cats. Being positive doesn't really mean anything except its positive, in most cases it never mutates, I would wait, grieve, breathe and spend time with George, if you decide to go ahead and test there's no rush...I will add although I didn't get the test for mine they did get a good check up after we lost Mac, they had lots of check up, I took them to the vet for every little thing....I still do.

Im so sorry you lost Bruce xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice