Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fingers crossed they don't report him

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CheekoAndCo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've just been out the back with the boys and Jack was getting excited at the fence. Walked up to see a dog through it that was wanting to play. Look up to see the owner standing smoking and he comes over to talk. Tells me not to worry because the dog is friendly so let the 4 of them play through the fence as best as they could.

The dog was his daughters but she's moved somewhere to get away from her partner that doesn't allow dogs so they are looking after her for now. Well some numpty here has decided the dog it a pitbull and saying they are going to report it if it so much as barks :( Even a blind man could tell this dog isn't a pitbull. It's a collie body with a staffie head because it's a staffxcollie. All it's markings and ears are the same as a collie but you know what people are like! There is loads of dogs here that look more like pitbulls so I'm wondering why they are picking on this dog!

With the stupid laws in this country we all know what could happen. Cheeko was barking away at her but she didn't even so much as bark back. That's how 'agressive' she is :rolleyes:

2. bingblazenskyla

bingblazenskyla PetForums Member

hopefully they wont report it - tho if they do all that will happen is the dog will be tested - once they see its NOT got any pit in it what so ever the owner will get it back

unfortunately some people have nothing better to do then make other peoples lives a misery

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

and how many months later will this be and what state will the dog be in!

4. CheekoAndCo

I always thought they didn't test the dogs and even if they did I'm 99% sure there isn't a genetic test for pits?

So glad my boys couldn't be mistaken for a pitbull because dogs getting seized and kept in bad conditions seems to be getting more common :(

5. bingblazenskyla

how the hell am i supposed to know!? atleast he would get it back tho rather than it being reported the dog being taken away n then PTS! whats better!?

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh no :( that's awful I hope they don't report the dog!

Just out of interest what colour was the dog? One of mine is up your way x

7. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

'Test' in this context means to measure the dog and compare it against the 1988 ADBA breed standard for APBTs.

You are correct there is no genetic test nor would one be useful because the law only concerns itslef with 'type' not breed. If it looks like a pit then it's 'type' regardless of its actual heritage.

8. CheekoAndCo

I think I know who the person is.. They called the SSPCA when someone across the road rescued a GSD that had been abused and covered in cuts. SSPCA turned up and said their time had been wasted plus the new owner had records at the vets.

She's a gingery red and white kind of colour. Looks like a short haired collie with a staffie head but has the typical collie markings. 2 eye patches with a white stripe :p

9. Johnderondon

Possibly Blitz comment was promoted by the "all that will happen" in your first post.

Hopefully, in this instance, the dog would not be seized at all but, if it were, there are several incidences where dogs in police care have died from unknown causes, been killed in clerical errors or become so traumatised by their experience that they have become unreturnable or been euthanised by heartbroken owners shortly after their return.

Some of their tales can be read here.

In Memory | dedication to those we won't ever forget.

10. CheekoAndCo

How could someone be so irresponsible to let something like that happen. Surely all that side of things should be treble checked to save 'accidents' happening.

11. bingblazenskyla

sorry i didnt realise that - i can now see what they ment

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Aww she sounds like a wee sweetie :)
    Not one of mine thankfully! My one up your way is red/brown but no white.

I can't imagine how much on edge this man must be. Is there any way he can get the dog away from there, a foster home or something (dunno if you pass by often and could mention) as they can't seize the dog if its not there! I hope the person doesn't report. Devastated is not a word strong enough to describe how I would feel if Dave were reported and seized, and he is about as much pitbul as your poodles are! :lol:

#12 PoisonGirl, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

mmm Take it you haven't read about Lennox.. and other dogs in this country who have been taken.. Its a very sad situ to be in..

14. Johnderondon

For too many people the care of dogs falls way down on their list of priorities. Remember the greyhound Bushmill Major? I have heard of dogs seized under the DDA that have suffered the same fate but, regrettably, their owners have not wanted to rock the boat by persuing the issue. For many people, lost in sadness, all they want to forget and go back to their lives. The grief knocks the fight out of them.

Which is another reason to hail the courage of Fudge's owners who have been bitterly betrayed by those empowered to protect us.

You are not alone. Most people have no idea of how much suffering our dog laws have caused, nor how poorly we are served by them.

15. CheekoAndCo

She was so well behaved and friendly. They've only been letting her out in the garden so the person can't see her. Their daughter is trying to find somewhere else to move so she can have her back so hopefully it won't be too long.

He was saying he wishes people would realise it's how the dog is raised not the breed but people have nothing better to do. Poor guy and his wife are pensioners so they don't need the worry of the dog aswell! Even if it was full pitbull I wouldn't be reporting it!

I wouldn't feel relaxed having a dog that even looked slightly staffy because too many 'do gooders' around these days.

16. Pineapple

Pineapple PetForums Member

Situation seems mad. Majority of dogs in shelters are staffie types, how are people expected to offer them homes when they could be snatched away and PTS based purely on appearance? Horrible to imagine getting a staffie x puppy from a rescue thinking you're doing the right thing, falling in love with the dog, then having it taken away, when it has never harmed anyone and doesn't even have any pitbull blood in it! Breed bans just seem ridiculous, are they even helping the situation?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice