Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fines threat for missing pets posters

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jansheff, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I've just been reading in my local paper how a couple from near Wakefield have lost two dogs, put up about 1,000 posters in an effort to get them back and have been threatened with a fine for flyposting by Wakefield Council. Apparently they can be fined £75 for each poster, so might end up owing a huge sum.

This seems really mean, but living in an area heavily populated by students, which has seen a campaign again multiple posters on each lamp post, advertising every bar, pub and gig in town, I suppose it's difficult to allow one sort of poster and not another.

Hope they get their dogs back anyway.

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Some people need to understand that there is a HUGE difference between advertising gigs and clubs and Missing Posters for lost, much loved pets. :mad:

I remember hearing / reading of a very similar case. I believe the outcome of that one was that the council in question were told to get their act together and stop being so damned petty and bureaucratic!!!

Sounds like Wakefield Council would benefit from doing the same!!!! :mad2:

3. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Actually I suspect that the £75 is for a penalty notice. if they don't pay that then they risk being prosecuted for fly posting which carries a fine of up to £2,500. My own council have never prosecuted anyone for putting up such posters but on the other hand if they have really put up 1000 then that is a hell of a lot, and I guess the council felt they couldn't ignore that number.

4. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

You're bang on there.

5. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Often it's an overzealous or maybe new member of staff that reports it but if you complain or contact your councillor they will take it back. Sorry i work in local government :aureola: councils don't do themselves any favours but often see sense if you push the matter. But it's scary to be threatened with such a big fine :(

6. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Nothing surprises me about Wakefield council! I threw a cig end out of my window (when i smoked) and 2 weeks later 2 cops both in body armour in 2 seperate cars came and knocked on my door with a £75 fine for littering :mad2::mad2: now i know i really shouldnt hae done that but what about a warning??? Why 2 cops and 2 cars at 930 in the evening??? Would have cost more in wages and fuel to deliver the fine than £75 :mad2::mad2: btw im in the Wakefield council area:mad2::mad2:
    Ps now ive had my little rant.... i really do hope they get their dog back!!

7. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Trouble is, these establishments only see things in black and white and common sense flies out of the window :rolleyes:

8. Ethel and Albus

Ethel and Albus PetForums Junior

Interesting read,
    In 2008 our cat went missing for 10 days. We put up the posters around the town on a July summers evening. The next day I was driving to work and noticed that some were taken down.

Thought kids messing around, on my way back from work I replaced the posters and went home.

The next few days he happened again. Posters removed. I was then replacing one poster when a council dog warden van stopped and told me to take them down I said no we have lost our cat have some heart etc.

I witnessed this woman tear the poster up and said take the rest down or you will be fined. This got me mad so I called the local council and they said yes you can't fly post and yes £1000 fine would happen.

My family were upset and we all agreed stuff the fine we just want the cat home.

The day fluffy came home ( seeing a grown man cry was not good! ) we had a letter from the local council saying they are taking us to court for fly posting.

We were given a court date and myself and wife and fluffy ( yes we put her in a carrier too) went to court. It was entertaining to say the least. It was all thrown out of court because there were no damage caused by the posters and I think fluffy did her bit by making everyone in the court room keep wIting to stroke her.

So don't let the buggers get you on this, keep putting up the posters people!

9. PJCroad&Chico

PJCroad&Chico PetForums Member

You deserved the fine. I have no sympathy. You "know you really shouldn't have done that" yet you did it anyway. You were given a warning by the fact there was loads of publicity about it being made illegal to drop litter. Would you be happy if everyone who committed every other crime (stealing etc.) only got a warning every time? Other people get fined for dropping litter. Why should you be special? By all means quote the Bill of Rights and be taken to court, but you'll just end up with a bigger fine.

Well done for standing your ground!

There's a massive difference between advertising something, and trying to find a family member. They going to post fines for missing kids' posters next?

I'd quote the Bill of Rights Act at them (yes, we have one in England), specifically 'That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void' and if they took me to court, make darn sure they lost.

10. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Actually there were no warnings thus was years ago before smoking was made so anti social it's only now I think no I shouldn't have! So as for deserved it I think that depends on individuals oppinions! I know now I shouldn't have but to add.. There are still no signs in our local village so don't give me it's plenty published it wasn't then and not now!
    The fact 2 cops in 2 seperate cars was that narked me as I said! Why not send it through the post?? That's my argument total waste of taxpayers money

11. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Btw yes I would have faced a bigger fine if i went to court which is why I paid it! And I never asked for sympathy I was simply stating I wasn't surprised!

12. PJCroad&Chico

If you don't want to accept responsibility for your actions and prefer to blame others, then that's not down to opinion it's down to being stubborn.

The fine had nothing to do with smoking - it was about littering, which was illegal long before smoking was restricted. The ban on littering was published in many newspapers and tabloids, as were subsequent fines for people ignoring the ban. If it was sent through the post, judging from your "I did nothing wrong" stance, you would likely have ignored it, as many other people have. It was indeed a waste of taxpayer's money to send 2 cars though. Two cops were -probably thought to be necessary as, as evidenced by your actions (and the fact you seem to think that if it was legal it's still be fine to throw burning material onto the ground for animals to step on), smokers are generally known for not being the most considerate of people, so violence may have been feared.

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Is it posible to keep this thread on the main topic which was the issue of fly posting & missing pets please.

I think OscarsMam is fully aware of her wrong doings all those years ago and doesn't need PF members berrating or lecturing her about it now!

14. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Thankyou yes I sure am :)

15. PJCroad&Chico

I would hope so, since it was her who took it off topic in the first place and then carried on down that particular vein. And I didn't berate or lecture her, I responded to her hijacking the thread and insisting she did nothing wrong.

So yeah, how about we keep it on the subject of flyposting and missing pets? I hope that after this post it will be kept on topic.

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If someone is prepared to distribute a thousand leaflets then why not put them through letterboxes? I'd never really thought about it before but that's what tends to happen round here and presumably avoids the possibility of prosecution. Local shops are also very helpful in allowing lost pet notices. I have to say that combination does seem to work

17. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

I was just going to mention that, but you beat me to it :D Can you imagine the outcry if they fined because someone blanketed the area with posters when a family member went missing!

18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I've never seen such a thing so hardly a fair comparison. It's not exactly likely that a poster campaign is a parent's first thought if a child goes missing and there's usually plenty of publicity available through alternative means.

The reality is that someone does have to clear up and it costs. There's nothing wrong with leafleting and it can be highly effective so why not leaflet houses?

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

On the occasions where I had to do Lost leaflets, I put them all through letterboxes. I personally think this is a better way of getting people to be alert to the situation. It must have been quite effective because the cats returned eventually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice