Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finding peace

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Sophiew1706, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Sophiew1706

Sophiew1706 PetForums Newbie

Hi this will be a long one.
    On the 21st of December mine and my partners dog (peg a border collie 7years old) passed away. I am struggling to find a way to accept what happened.
    I am struggling to deal with what happened to her as I feel asif she was taken to soon.
    On the 20th of December my partner took peg on her usual walk. Within 10 minutes of her being home she was sick. It was a little bit of bile. We put it down to her maybe eating some grass. Peg was off her food and water. She slept well through the night and when we got up the next day she was started being sick again. She had been sick for 18hrs and thought we should just take her to be checked
    . We took her to the vets and he did some blood test and it showed problems in her liver pancreas and other areas. He initially thought she had may be caught hepitits and said he would like to keep her in and do some investigations into what the problem was after she had some fluids. We left her at the vets and within 4 hours we had a call and said she wasn't responding well the treatment and that she was going jaundice. When my partner arrived at the vets at 6
    30.pm the vet did some more blood tests and the results were even worse. After he did an x-ray and and a ultrasound he noticed that pegs gallbladder had inflamed to 3 times the size and had gone hard like bone with a thick layer of something around the gallbladder. The gaulbladder had separated from where it was ment to be and the bile in her stomach had started poisoning her liver kidneys and pancreas. The vet then explained that peg was very poorly. And if he operated that she would pass away on the operating table. He said no one could of saved her even if we took her after the first time she was sick. The decision was to let her go peacefully as she was in a lot of pain. She passed away on the 21st of December at 8pm. We was offered to send her a way for an autopsy but we didn't want her beautiful body to be messed with. The vet has said that he has only ever seen one case like this and he still didn't have answers to what it could be. I'm struggling to understand why it happened to her. She was so special. She had a tough start to her life she was a stray dog on the streets of zante and my partner rescued her and bought her to the UK where she has had an amazing life.
    Has anyone on here experienced the same thing? I need some answers.

Attached Files:

2. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Hello Sophiew1706, welcome to this lovely pet forum community albeit under such sad circumstances for you. Letting our pets go peacefully and ending their suffering is always the right thing to do when no improvement on their quality of life is possible. Pegs was only seven and you clearly would never have thought for a moment that you would lose her to anything other than age related problems that creep in over time, but some things happen that can’t be explained why, and as your vet says, this is one of them. Perhaps if you post on the dog section of the forum (general chat or health and nutrition threads), some one there may have had, or know of someone who’s had a similar experience to you with a dog in the past or even currently. Rest in peace beloved Pegs, your suffering is over.......all the best to you Sophiew1706 x

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my 3 year old boxer girl she had a heart attack. The vet tried to bring her back but couldn't,

I remain heartbroken and struggle with what happened. Take 1 day at a time. This forum has been a great comfort to me. It sounds like u did everything you could.

4. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Sorry to hear of your loss too Boxer123, I do hope your heart can mend a little over time, and clearly, your beloved little girl will always occupy a special place within it...

Boxer123 likes this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you she was a special girl taken to soon x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice