Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finding a Pedigree Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tigermoon, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

You do it like this:
    EF80507A-663E-410A-A5A2-67C31BB463DA.jpeg

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

As @ChaosCat has so beautifully demonstrated.

On a phone it's a bit more obvious

Screenshot_20200225-061031_Chrome.jpg

Bubsagogo likes this.
  3. Bubsagogo

Bubsagogo PetForums Newbie

You make it look so easy! :) Thanks got your help - I think it’s my phone screen. Cheers!

4. Bubsagogo

Thanks guys sussed it!! :)

5. Bubsagogo

Rufus how did your boy get on at the recent show? Hope you both had fun!

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

He did brilliantly, thank you for remembering us :) was very pleased with his results, he placed very well which I didn't expect so it was lovely. Very proud mama :)

Bubsagogo likes this.
  7. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

8. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

Be careful of all breeders. Research better than I did! I bought a Siberian Forest cat (I have three & a Maine Coon). The woman handed me all the right papers, but was operating illegally out of her home. I didn't realize this until the day of pickup. (I had found her business online.) My cat, I believe, is inbred. The breeder had two mother cats and two adult male cats. She had many juvenile cats. They were all wandering around the inside of her home. There was no way for her to know which adults cats were interacting. My kitten (now age 8) is dumb. He is "special" in too many ways, unlike my other Siberians or any cat I've ever had.

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Curious what you mean by illegally breeding from home?
    Anyone in this hobby calling themselves a business should be avoided.

10. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

She was a legal breeder of Soberians, but was operating out of her home in a deed restricted community that did not allow business to ve conducted from any home.

11. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

There are no laws surrounding breeding as far as I'm aware, to make it legal or illegal. Breeding, for most, is a hobby, not a business?

spotty cats likes this.
  12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What country?

spotty cats likes this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Possibly USA, Florida by the profile. I know many breeders in Florida, breeding from their homes like the rest of us around the world.

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I thought definitely not the UK, though my house had a restriction which I had lifted since I worked at home when I brought and have done mostly since.

15. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

USA ...Auburndale, FL

16. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

Illegal because she cannot operate her business out of her private home. It's a deed restricted community. Regardless, no reputable breeder would allow all her cats to interact all the time. There were no cages, & no way to keep brothers and sisters from mating

17. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Hobby breeders are not a business. If she is breeding as a hobby that is not illegal. Nor should any breeder keep their cats in cages. The only thing I can see that they've done wrong is not taking more care to separate siblings at maturity. They wouldn't be the first breeder to be caught short by poor planning.

18. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Kaye20
    Do you mean she lives in an area with a homeowners association? And any sort of business is not allowed from the home, be it soap making or kittens?
    I suppose, if she is selling kittens, it is also a business, even if it is her hobby to breed cats.
    Having breeding cats in the home seems typical and not necessarily cause for concern.
    If you were concerned, the time to walk away was before putting down the money and taking the kitten home.

19. Kaye20

Kaye20 PetForums Newbie

Again... what was illegal is her violation of her housing development's rules regarding operating a business out of a private home. And she's still breeding and supplying official papers today, so it's not a hobby.

20. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I appreciate that the breeder us breaking the terms of her residency and what we class as 'hobby breeding' in the UK may not be exactly the same elsewhere, however, supplying the correct paperwork is an essential part of breeding and doesn't make it a business.
    Personally I think it rather irresponsible and definitely un-businesslike, to allow entire boys to have free access all over the house but a DNA test will prove the parentage.
    Not being as bright as other Norwegian Forest Cats that you've had doesn't make him inbred. I have Siamese girls that were definitely behind the door when intelligence was given out.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice