Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finding a Pedigree Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tigermoon, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry Viv, but what do you expect the breeder to do? Toxoplasmosis is something breeders can't control, it can be found in garden soil or raw meat. If a breeder has an cat proofed garden and an infected rodent manages to get in, is that the breeder's fault?

If Yogi is the cat I think he is, I'm not at all sure you can blame the breeder, and should instead be looking at the person that purchased him in the first instance.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Yogi is my cat. A week after he came home he got sick. It got to the point that he collapsed and had to be rushed back to the vet. Who then finally referred him to the animal health trust. Where yogi had to undergo an MRI and spinal tap. Thankfully they managed to bring him back to some form of health, which although it has improved over the years he still has many problems. The breeder did not have a cat proof garden all her cats apart from the sire were indoor cats. She said she had never fed raw food. I only had him a week, then he was seriously ill. I had a lot of support on here when this all happened. My friend has had the same with her boy. A tiny kitten who a week after going home to her getti;g seriously ill too. But they haven’t until now been able to pinpoint what was wrong. Also others that have had kittens from this breeder have kittens that have turned into cats that like Yogi are on lifelong medication. I’m sorry if I offended you but I cannot help feeling that something was wrong in that household. Even my vet said something was not right. She couldn’t even get his name right on his pedigree, which I hasten to add I didn’t get until he was over a year old. My vet said because it could cause problems with my insurance to ditch the pedigree when I showed him the name on the pedigree and the name on the contract. I don’t want to fall out over this but my other boys breeders have also told me something wasn’t right. Thank you for your input though.

Viv xx

Edit. Also why would Yogi’s breeder tell me that if Yogi died before 2 years old she would give me another kitten? Oh I almost forgot. She said he had a health check before he came home with me. How come her vet didn’t notice one of his testicals was still inside. My vet had to get permission from the AHT to catstrate him as he would have to be under anaesthetic for long than a normal castration.

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Perhaps he's not the cat I'm thinking of, and he's a different cat with the same name.

In relation to the undescended testicle, that is the fault of the vet and not the breeder. An inexperienced vet would miss it.

I will repeat that it's important to do research into one's breeder (I'm not saying you didn't do enough, just making a general point)

5. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I agree about doing research. The breeder ticked all the right boxes at the time. I met the mum, the dad, her house was clean. I don’t know what went wrong. But finding out there were others in my situation didn’t help.i had to nag her for Yogi’s pedigree. There’s too many problems that stacked up.

Viv xx

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I can see your problem with the breeder, it seems they didn't give much, if any, support

7. Bubsagogo

Bubsagogo PetForums Newbie

8. Bubsagogo

HSo I've started

Hello all
    Total newbie here and maybe doing this all wrong but anyway - Hey! Thanks so much for sharing all this useful info.
    So, my situ is I am planning on getting my first kitten or kittens later this year once all hols are done n dusted and I can devote time.
    I work from home a lot but there will be one or two days a week I’ll need to get someone to look in. I want a chilled out cat who is affectionate but not needy. From all my research so far I favour BSH. I understand that lots of you will suggest a rescue but I used to be scared of cats ( due I’m sure to a feral cat taken in when I was a nipper) and so temperament is crucial. I appreciate all animals are individuals but I want to at least try to get a calm friendly cat and as a kitten so we can bond.
    So, all the reading and research can’t really prepare you and I want to meet some bsh cats and kittens in the flesh and don’t know how or where I could do that. Any advice? My choice really does have to be right fit me and my little one :) xx

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome. Good luck in your search for the right kitten. To meet cats and kittens the best way is to visit cat shows and chat to the breeders and exhibitors. Have a look here https://www.gccfcats.org/show-calendar to find shows in your area. They usually open to the public around 12 or 1 o'clock

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Whilst we largely advocate rescue first, there are quite a few users on here who also advocate pedigrees due to a more known personality type. So don't worry about being hounded over looking for a pedigree :)

In addition to @lymorelynn's link to GCCF shows, also have a look at the TICA and Felis Britannica show calendars. They are, along with GCCF, are the three recognised registries in the UK. Shows are the best places to start when searching for a breeder :)

Bubsagogo likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

To be honest a young adult is probably best for you, as you will get a much better idea of their personality. Also, whilst various breeds have different personalities these are averages, not a given. A good rescue would let you meet their cats and help you find the one that suits you and your family.

We don't know where you are, if you could let us know the town maybe we can make some suggestions.

Bubsagogo likes this.
  12. Bubsagogo

Hi all thanks for your help - I never even thought about shows! I’m based in Birmingham. :)

13. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

There's a show in Coventry next weekend, at the British Motor Museum. Why not pop along?

14. Bubsagogo

Thanks, will defo look into that! Am now also considering getting an older cat or cats instead of kittens. I really want to bond with my pet which is what appeals about kittens but I guess with an older cat you have more of an idea what you’re getting in terms of temperament...So much to think about!! I am struggling to navigate here on my phone and I’m sure I’m asking about things that have been posted a million times so thanks again for your help! :)

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

If you do go, let me know. I'm going myself with my Maine Coon boy :)

16. Bubsagogo

I definitely will - I’d love to meet you both! I have a clash on Saturday which I will try and juggle but it’s looking unlikely sadly. Looking at the show calendar it looks like mid March is a good date for me - I think from memory it’s a TICA show in Worcester. Is that one you might go to?

17. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I don't think it's a TICA show, all their shows this year are down south or over by Doncaster. There was one in Telford but it was cancelled.

The next show in the Midlands is 2nd May in Worcester, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

18. Bubsagogo

That must be the one - I think March was wishful thinking as May seems forever away!! Oh well more time to obsess over google before I actually meet some kitties :)

19. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

It does seem like forever away doesn't it! You'll enjoy the visit though :)

20. Bubsagogo

Hey I think I’m being a bit slow but I can’t see how to ask a new question/start a new thread. Could you give me a clue?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice