Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

finding a new puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pickle, Jun 7, 2010.

1. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Seems nowadays people want everything now, and this includes getting a new puppy. This is why the internet ads and scammers seem to flourish, (reading the scammer thread is what prompted this).
    It appears some people want to "shop" for a puppy the same way they choose furniture or clothes. I have had to wait for every puppy I have had, sometimes months, sometimes a matter of weeks,- and some people I know, wanting rarer breeds, have waited years.
    Just wanted to know everyone's views on this really.

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I do think you are right,some people are like that.I like to do as much research as i can before even viewing a litter,so im not tempted!
    I wonder if that is the reason why so many dogs needs to be rehomed?
    Iv noticed my teens/young 20's children and theyre friends,are very much 'i want it now' generation,maybe its because everything is so accessable.
    When i was young i used to have to save for things,my parents didnt have money to hand out.And today i do the same,i dont do credit or loans (generally).But i so appreciate everything more for it!!

3. rona

rona Guest

Even with my second Goldie I spent 9 months looking for the right breeder and then a few months waiting for a pup.
    Lets face it, Goldies aren't rare :)
    My OH spent 3 years looking into Chesapeakes, going to events and talking to owners and breeders, he then waited a year for a pup to be born.
    This dog will hopefully be with you for possible 6th of your adult life, it's got to be worth taking care in choosing a friend and companion

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Many people treat pet ownership a bit like buying a new camera or TV.

They decide what they want, and expect to go out the next day and be able to get it.

The sad fact is, is that people easily can do this. No research, no preparation, and very often the choice is made based solely on looks.

No wonder so many animals suffer in this country.

5. rona

rona Guest

From some of the stories on here, even rescuing a dog should be thought about more thoroughly and a lot of care taken in choosing the right dog to suit a persons lifestyle and temperament

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I agree, I waited YEARS until I was finally in a position to get my first dog, it was so difficult waiting & I was obsessed with other peoples dogs! I volunteered ina resuce home for a bit which did help & made me realise just how much consideration was needed as there were so many unwanted animals that I knew I had to cover everything in order to provide a dog a forever home.
    As well as my 2 lovely moggies I now have my dog Toby - I love them all to bits & they have made me so happy :)

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

In a roundabout way, I waited 5 years for my first dog. My mother had decided in 2000 to have our family dog pts at 14 years of age and I really missed him something awful and was desperate for another but had moved into my own home and was working full time and just knew I wouldn't have the time to properly train and exercise one in between work and looking after my young daughter. I looked into a few different breeds whilst waiting for the right time and in 2005 after moving to a new home and leaving my job, I decided to look at what was available in my short list of breeds and finally found Benji but had to wait a couple of weeks before I could have him.

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

When my late dog died, we knew we wanted another dog and soon. We looked at many different breeds and after about 4 weeks, decided on a cocker spaniel. It then took a couple of days to find the right breeder (looked on Kennel Club "Find a Puppy") who had a litter of 4 pups who were 4 weeks old. Went to view a week later, chose Ollie and Ollie came home 5 weeks later. It was very quick, but I didn't want to wait months or years for a dog to come back into the house. I have no regrets about the breeder I chose or the dog I chose. Maybe I should have researched the cocker spaniel breed more, but I did what I did, and I don't regret any of it now.

In the future, as I want a show dog and a foundation bitch for my breeding, I will obviously be willing to wait years for the right dog to come along, but I don't see why I should wait years for a pet. The most I would wait for a pet quality dog is a couple of months. Really, its not that hard to find a breeder who health tests and is responsible and caring towards their dogs and pups. Thousands of people have litters at the moment, and if you choose a common breed, like a lab or springer, you will find one in probably a few days.

9. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

completely agree, same here. I make sure I have already thoroughly checked out any litters I look at (breeder, health tests, parents, people who own relatives/previous pups etc etc - and sometimes I already know the breeder) so that when I go to look at the pups, I wouldnt be tempted into something stupid.

Maggie is a part of the family, a 'pet', whatever you want to call her - I have no intention of breeding from her and will not be showing her (although may enter some companion shows) - however I still feel that whilst you would be looking for slightly different things than if you were planning on breeding or showing, research and forethought needs to go into it regardless, i.e. when it comes to temperament and health.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice